Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#487300 - 06/07/02 03:49 PM A Limit to Practicing
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
On a good day, when nothing unexpected pops up in my schedule or I haven't procrastinated a huge project or something, I can practice 4 hours: 1 hour of technique, half an hour of sight reading, and finally, several pieces of repertoire. With school and work, I have a surprising amount of free time and sometimes I can surpass 4 hours, but therein lies the problem. After 4 hours, it seems like I can't absorb anything. It seems like I can practice 8 hours but only benefit from the first 4. Anybody else have the same problem?

Mike

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#487301 - 06/07/02 04:18 PM Re: A Limit to Practicing
sandman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: toronto
well i dont have nearly as much time to practice as you, 4 hours a week mabey for me, but every so often i get a day where i can get in 3 hours or so, but yah ive found that by the end my brain just stops working,
i actually read an article once about this phenomena as it relates to homework from school, but id imagine its aplicable here as well, anyways it said basically what were saying, that after a certain amount of time, (i think it was three hours) the brain stop absorbing info effectively, and actually begins forgetting stuff, they said only study in chunk of three hours max, cause to study for longer periods of time is actually detrimental, and will leave you worse off...i dont know if this is true, but i do know that at times if im getting nowhere practicing a piece, if i just set it aside and come back to it after a few days i play it much better...so perhaps theres some truth to that.

#487302 - 06/07/02 04:20 PM Re: A Limit to Practicing
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
No, don't have quite that problem, but after 3-4 hours I suddenly become aware of my back starting to twinge. In your case, I would suggest that after several hours you work your way into reviewing repertoire and memorized pieces. That way you are effectively utilizing practice time, but putting the weightier stuff upfront where you can better focus. L.

#487303 - 06/07/02 05:08 PM Re: A Limit to Practicing
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
mkesfahani, I would advise against practicing more than 4 hours. At a certain point progress stops and you can actually make things worse by practicing more. All the teachers I've had (3 of them) have said that at one point in their life they practiced 6+ hours a day and all three now say it was the wrong way to go. They have learned that concentrated practice for 3-4 hours is sufficient for good progress.

#487304 - 06/07/02 07:39 PM Re: A Limit to Practicing
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
Back in the days when I used to practice for hours on end, I used to break up my practice sessions, i.e., I would not be practicing for 4 hours straight. I'd practice for say an hour to hour and a half here, then take a break and do something else (back then, it was homework for other classes) and then go back to practicing for an hour there, then go and do something else ... I never did practice in one huge block of time. And when I was taking classes, unless it was one of those lovely derivations which took hours to do, which my p-chem profs so loved to give us (groan) I would generally break up my study sessions in at least hourly increments as well. And yes, I was able to get a lot done during that time. If I tried to study in a huge block, my brain would turn to mush and I wouldn't be able to absorb anything.

Of course, nowadays, I'll be lucky if I get to practice for any amount of time at all. Sigh.

#487305 - 06/08/02 02:00 AM Re: A Limit to Practicing
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
ChemicalGrl brought up a good point which I neglected to mention. 4 hours IS NOT in one block of time. My back could never take that.

Mike

#487306 - 06/09/02 02:33 PM Re: A Limit to Practicing
PerfectPitch Offline

Loc: Yonkers, NY
Sometimes I practice more than 4 hours a day! But I break it up in the daytime and at night! I usually practice 3 hours in the afternoon and 3 hours at nighttime. It's OK for me 'cause it's something I really enjoy! However, there are other days that I only practice for short periods of time! \:\)

I don't consider this as too much because I don't go to work and my parents are totally supportive! \:\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
47 registered (bennevis, Altair, alfredo capurso, beet31425, 8 invisible), 911 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316083 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission