2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Not for everything -- so far, I've found it useful especially for Bach Prelude No. 2 in C Minor, WTC I, and also somewhat helpful for the Prelude No. 3 in C-Sharp Major, WTC I.

What you do is play the left hand part 2 octaves higher and the right hand part 2 octaves lower, so that the hands are crossed. You still play the left hand part with the left hand, and you still play the right hand part with the right hand, but you play them so that the right hand is on the left and the left hand is on the right.

It helped a lot with the C Minor prelude, because what it did is make the bass notes higher in pitch, and it is easier for the human ear to hear/understand higher pitches. So by practicing it this way, I heard the left hand part more clearly than the right hand part, and this helped me to work on clarity in the left hand.

Another benefit is that it helps to focus on the notes and on general clarity: because it "feels" different in this new position, and because it "sounds" different with the left hand higher than the right hand, one is forced not to rely simply on "finger memory" but to actually learn the right notes.

Of course it probably should not be a main practice technique that takes up 90% of practice time - just a small thing to do for a little bit after one can already play the piece as just one of several ways of helping to polish things up a bit.

Sam
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sam :

It's a particularly good exercise for Bach. I wouldn't want to try Chopin that way! Can you imagine! laugh

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Along with apple's advice I think they are both excellent suggestions for hearing out LH voice esp in fugual passages. Thanks for the great tip!

R
R
I started doing this about two months ago with JSB. It works. It *really* works. I found it especially useful once I'm fairly comfortable with the piece and it's at the memorizing stage. The increased distance between the hands kills finger memory and you find out how well you know the notes. Especially good for runs where the hands "cue" each other as they alternate. I do modify the method slightly -- first LH normal place, RH out, Then reverse. Then both hands out.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission