2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Another beautiful performance by Hough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqQAfoNCeI

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Not only does he play well, he writes well also. I met him back in my uni years, a very fine chap. We talked a bit about Kenneth Leighton, whom I only knew from his Anglican Church music, but Mr. Hough was very enthusiastic about a solo piano piece he was going to play in recital. I subsequently heard that, can't say it was any blazing masterpiece -sorry- but my jaw dropped. It was incredibly well played.

So then why was the closing Schumann Carnival such a letdown? Forgive me, at the end it appeared that Hough's technique was pushed to the max.

For those interested -which would probably not include anyone here- Stephen Hough contributed a very fine essay in the book "Elgar - An Anniversary Portrait."

Very cogently written, it detailed his path to Roman Catholicism via his young exposure to The Dream of Gerontius. The essay is terrific reading -and I am not RC myself- but it gives an interesting insight into England's forbidden religion, the cayenne pepper on the Anglican Church.

Jason
G
G
I'm going to see him this Thursday at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, and believe it or not, tickets to get in to see him are free!!!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Lovely.

Makes you wonder how many "greatest" pianists are lurking in the forum, still to be discovered. That's a nice thought.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My favorite living pianist is Pompa-Baldi. His control, balance, voicing, and power are just incredible. His Brahms variations were absolutely frightening.

Here is the best Scriabin 4 performance I've heard (with great respect to Koji, nonetheless).

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Didn't really grab me, I much prefer this one:

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=NbSZWTnVV-k

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I love Hough. His Rach 3 is something to behold. Love his transcriptions, too.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
F
F
Hough is fantastic. An excellent pianist and a humble man.

As far as Scriabin 4 goes, Gilels 1957 remains my favourite.

---
--
M
M
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Not only does he play well, he writes well also. I met him back in my uni years, a very fine chap. We talked a bit about Kenneth Leighton, whom I only knew from his Anglican Church music, but Mr. Hough was very enthusiastic about a solo piano piece he was going to play in recital. I subsequently heard that, can't say it was any blazing masterpiece -sorry- but my jaw dropped. It was incredibly well played.

So then why was the closing Schumann Carnival such a letdown? Forgive me, at the end it appeared that Hough's technique was pushed to the max.

For those interested -which would probably not include anyone here- Stephen Hough contributed a very fine essay in the book "Elgar - An Anniversary Portrait."

Very cogently written, it detailed his path to Roman Catholicism via his young exposure to The Dream of Gerontius. The essay is terrific reading -and I am not RC myself- but it gives an interesting insight into England's forbidden religion, the cayenne pepper on the Anglican Church.
Hi Jason,

I am very intrigued with this Carnaval. You've mentioned it a number of times, and each time you have qualified it with surprise. I'll find out - it seems strange that he would be troubled with it.

I agree with your assessment of Stephen's writing skills. Very well thought out and communicated. There is a small nuggett on his www about winning the Naumberg. A lot of people could get some real insights from that, especially the thread about learning speed.

Mike

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Where is the thread mentioning speed?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by MMSGA:
I am very intrigued with this Carnaval. You've mentioned it a number of times, and each time you have qualified it with surprise. I'll find out - it seems strange that he would be troubled with it.
I only heard Mr. Hough play it once, but it was an oddly frustrating performance. All sorts of "inner voices" keep popping up through the texture, and after a while they just seemed to impede the natural flow of the music.

And then at the end -perhaps he didn't pace himself?- it felt like a desperate race to the finish line. No cathartic sense of exultation or victory!

Please bear in mind, though, that I'm only referencing this one performance. I hold Stephen Hough in the highest regard, I have many of his CDs -and per my earlier post- he is also a very astute writer.

Jason
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I agree Hough is great - I met him ages ago before he really became famous and heard a couple of recitals in my piano teacher's house.

I think sometimes his technique gets in the way of the music being truly great. When he's not trying to do everything technically with some music, then he allows himself more musical emotion. I think that's what happens at the end of that Carnival, and I've heard similar criticisms about other performances of his.

But he is a great pianist - I would guess one of the top ten performers at the mometn.

John
M
M
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Originally posted by MMSGA:
I only heard Mr. Hough play it once, but it was an oddly frustrating performance. All sorts of "inner voices" keep popping up through the texture, and after a while they just seemed to impede the natural flow of the music.

And then at the end -perhaps he didn't pace himself?- it felt like a desperate race to the finish line. No cathartic sense of exultation or victory!

Please bear in mind, though, that I'm only referencing this one performance. I hold Stephen Hough in the highest regard, I have many of his CDs -and per my earlier post- he is also a very astute writer.
Inner voices indeed!
I heard him play the c#m waltzof Mr Chopin, and Stephen is the only pianist I've heard who brings out the long descending chromatic line in the A section.
One of his upcoming CDs will have this piece on it smile

Mike

My vote for a captivating Scriabin 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLfUutfBd0

Heard him live about 9 years ago. Eye-opening Chopin 2nd and 3rd sonatas.

Back to topic - I've only heard Hough live once, but it was very good. First half was Kreisleriana, second half was showpieces, mostly Liszt. I was more impressed with the second half, although that's probably because I'm extremely particular about Kreisleriana performances, there are only a handful of recordings I can stand. (Of the dozen or so I own, Egorov, Lupu and early Horowitz are the three I keep coming back to, with Grimaud, Rubenstein, and Argerich populating the next tier down. The rest are disappointing, and yes, that includes Perahia, Pollini, Uchida and Schiff. I've not heard Annie Fischer's or Fiorentino's, but I suspect they may also be good.

Okay, gonna be quiet now, I should know better than to get all riled up about Op. 16. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
If any fans of Stephen Hough still don't have his award-winning, critically acclaimed breakthrough 1987 recording of Hummel's piano concertos Opp. 85 and 89, buy it!

It's a spectacular performance of two consistently delightful compositions. If you like Mozart and Chopin in the least bit, you will love these delicious concertos.

I've listened to this CD hundreds of times by now, and have run out of adequate superlatives to do it justice.

p.s. Carnaval, Kreisleriana ... could it be that Hough doesn't have a strong affinity for Schumann? I checked his discography, and it looks like he's only recorded Op. 6 and Op. 17.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This may be a dumb question - but how do you pronounce his name?

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hough = Huff (as in "I'll huff and puff and blow your house down!")

if memory serves...

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I own Hough's recording of Mendelssohn's piano concerti and other works with orchestra, and it is quite well done. Nothing fussy about it. Just clean, stylistic playing of this under-appreciated repertoire. If I have one quibble, I think the 2nd movement of the 1st concerto feels a bit rushed.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by sotto voce:
If any fans of Stephen Hough still don't have his award-winning, critically acclaimed breakthrough 1987 recording of Hummel's piano concertos Opp. 85 and 89, buy it!

I also highly recommend this disc. It's on Chandos: CHAN 8507.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission