2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#489446 06/13/02 10:59 PM
BeeLady Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I just finished the second night of an introduction to the Alexander Technique. Found it very interesting and am considering pursuing it further. I was hoping it would help me concentrate on my practicing more completely. I am sure that my lifestyle contributes greatly to my attention deficit. I have three kids and find myself at a dead run most days. I can often be found practicing with a child ,usually dressed in a purple cape, hiding from the "bad guys" under the piano.

What are your experiences using this (Alex. Tech, not the purple cape) in piano playing? Has it helped both mentally and physically?

I found that what little I learned (in two night groups) was useful, however many of the same ideas are what I have been learning in 5 years of yoga. I find some of the concepts similar, just a different vocabulary.

By going further, I wondered if I am not just repeating myself. I feel my search has more to do with mental focus (go figure!) than with physical relaxation, though more control is certainly needed.

Any feedback , ideas , suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
#489447 06/14/02 06:22 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'd also love to give Alexander lessons a try; many highly advanced players consider it an indispensible part of their musical studies, esp. after. However, the lessons cost a lot of money (cause they're 1 on 1 I guess), and they go on for quite some time, as I understand, before you can finish up. And there aren't many people in the area usually who are teachers. So I guess I'll just stick with my backache for now...

#489448 06/14/02 01:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BeeLady, I have just come to work from an Alexander class. My current teacher places great emphasis on an upright posture and has recommended that I take some classes from a certified Alexander teacher.

I think Alexander clears up misconceptions about the body and how the bones and muscles work; it incorporates breathing and relaxation; it incorporates imagery and feeling; and it stresses the importance of balancing the head on the spine, since it is so heavy.

My A. teacher is trying to get me to be more aware of my back and the support it provides, feeling my legs extending out from my torso from the pelvis, feeling my arms extending out from my torso from the shoulder and feeling my jaw and tongue relaxed with my head comfortable balanced and supported by the spine... while I try to play... It's going to take some practice!

smile

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
#489449 06/14/02 07:07 PM
M
M
I think the best investment that I made was taking Alexander Technique lessons! I read about its value to musicians, but it was when I was told frequently to relax that I decided to go and try it. That was two years ago, and I still take weekly lessons along with my weekly piano lessons. They're just as important, if not even more important. Why? Because it's through the AT lessons that I was able to really sense myself, my bodily movements, and my tensions as well as being able to release the unnecessary tensions when I'm aware of them.

Just like piano, AT teachers do differ in their approach even though the subject matter is the same. So I would say, if possible, try different teachers and decide who is best for you. When I moved to Calgary for a year, I didn't have choice as there was only one available teacher.

AT, as I understand it, is a way to awaken the kinesthetic sense, that is the sense of movement. Many times I grabbed things with more effort than needed, played the piano with more force than needed, and tensed while talking or even walking. With AT, I seem to be much more attuned to when I'm tense. AT helped not only with my piano playing, which was my primary goal, but also with the quality of my life, of how I move and even of how I think. And because habits are strong, I still go back to my old habits. But I'm reminded that it's a process over a long period of time. I don't mean you have to take lessons for a long time. The minimum I would suggest is 10 lessons to really appreciate what AT is. And it's advisable to take up to 30 lessons. I intend to take lessons for a long time, because I see major changes from week to week. This is my experience with AT! No matter how it's described, the best way to really know it is to experience it for yourself.

#489450 06/15/02 07:14 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Mona - that sounds really great! It's really encouraging to hear such praise of the AT! I really really want to try it out one day - it sounds so interesting. Can you feel your playing improve then - does it feel more natural when you're at the piano? And do you mind if I ask how much the lessons cost?

#489451 06/15/02 02:11 PM
BeeLady Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I, too, would like to get an idea of cost. The teacher who presented the intro charges $75 an hour. Way out of range for me when you figure I am paying for piano lessons, too.

Do those of you take your AT lesson every week or do you spread it out more? As I said before, I have 5 years of yoga under my belt and find I understand the concepts pretty easily. I am hoping this would mean I could make progress faster and not be committed to a long term thing.

I wonder if you feel that the AT helped your mental concentration? My biggest issue is lack of focus right now.

I suppose if I don't go for the AT, just fact that my youngest son is off to Kindergarten this fall could be my biggest leap. I will actually have time here alone to practice in peace.

BeeLady
Who is looking forward to the sight of that big yellow bus this fall!

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
#489452 06/15/02 08:36 PM
M
M
Praetorian, I take my keyboard sometimes to the AT lesson, and I play a few times. When guided by my teacher, we both notice difference in tone, and that's from a keyboard. Imagine this happening with a piano! I've seen it happen in front of my eyes, when I went to a workshop in Portland last summer, with Barbara Conable. I'm an amateur, late beginner musician, but all others who participated were professionals: students and teachers. We were all surprised to notice differences in the "quality" of performances when we did pay attention to ourselves while playing the music. As Barbara Conable would remind us: Be aware of yourself, the piano, your surroundings, and your audience. It's not just the words, she guided us through her hands sometimes, and also through information about how we could use ourselves in better ways.

Here is Barbara Conable's website, but just to warn you her books are not easily read, at least were not so for me. She's much more clear in conveying the ideas in person, and what a lovely person to work with.

http://www.bodymap.org/index.html

As for when I practice at home, if and when I take my time to implement the knowledge that I've gained, I definitely play better, easier, and with much joy. But as I said, sometimes my old habits come back including wanting results fast, paying attention to the music while excluding myself and my bodily signs, etc. With time, I am getting better at what I'm doing. And it's not just the piano. I used to have knee pain so often that I just ignored its happening. With AT, I realized what I've been doing while walking: tensing the muscles of my thighs which pressure the knee, and pulling my knees towards each other where they should be free from tension.

As for cost, I pay less than what I pay for an hour of piano lesson. In Canadian dollars, I pay $55. And in the US, Barbara charged $60 for an hour, while another teacher charged more and for only 45 minutes. Teachers do vary in their prices, but it's worth it if you can find a teacher that you're comfortable working with.

Here is the website for the AT organization that lists the names of teachers. You can find a teacher in England. smile

http://www.ati-net.com/index.htm

BeeLady: Although there might be similarities between yoga and AT, because they both deal with body/mind connection, AT is totally different in many ways. I've seen yoga practitioners holding tension in their necks. Also a yoga practitioner who was a yoga teacher for a long time goes to AT lessons with my teacher: Susan Sinclair, and she, the yoga practitioner, told me how little she knew about herself and her body functioning before taking AT. And she was sorry for those whom she might mislead unintentionally.

As for clearing the mind, AT definitely helped me become more aware of what's happening around me and with me. Two years ago, when I first took lessons, I remember walking during the lesson with head looking in the ground with so many thoughts blocking my experience. It's with my teacher's guidance that I became able to pay attention to what I was doing while seeing what's going on around me.

Also, if you happen to consume too much sugar, this may cause what some call "sugar fog." You can read about it in this website:

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission