Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#492593 - 01/02/08 02:05 AM cruise ships
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Has anybody here got any experience playing piano on cruise ships?

Please tell me all you know about the experience. How many hours did you play per week? Was there a second piano you could practice on in a practice room?

What were the food and working conditions like?
Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#492594 - 01/02/08 08:41 AM Re: cruise ships
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
candyman, you may want to try posting this on the nonclassical forum, because I remember somebody posting there once about playing on a cruise ship. But danged if I can remember who it was... Tom K, maybe???

#492595 - 01/02/08 09:59 AM Re: cruise ships
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
I had an acquaintance who played on a cruise ship once. He was so distraught about his lack of tips and attention that late one night he tossed three deck chairs overboard.

And it seems to me that I posted this on another thread about cruise ships... but danged if I can remember where or when.

#492596 - 01/02/08 10:30 AM Re: cruise ships
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Jason:
...late one night he tossed three deck chairs overboard.

Not unoccupied ones, I hope ;\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#492597 - 01/02/08 10:43 AM Re: cruise ships
Guy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I know a trumpet player that did about 5 years worth of cruising, and then a trombonist that did one short contract.

The trumpet player loved the money (even though it doesn't seem like much, expenses are low, and no income tax for US citizen) and from what he told me, he was able to save far more than I did, even though I had a much higher paying job.

The trombonist didn't like it so much. He couldn't find a time or a place to practice (maybe piano would be different -- certainly you could bring on an electronic keyboard and use headphones). He also said that for passengers, there is a specific home port, but for a crew member it all blends together. Miami, for example, is just a six-hour stop during the week.

#492598 - 01/02/08 10:47 AM Re: cruise ships
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:

Not unoccupied ones, I hope ;\)
Michael,

Didn't you mean occupied ones? Considering the reported "girth" of the typical cruise passenger, tossing a deck chair overboard containing an occupant could require a crane. \:D

#492599 - 01/02/08 10:58 AM Re: cruise ships
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
It seems most of the cruise lines are shifting to electonic pianos.

My sister used to work for Holland America and took me on a tour of one of their biggest cruise ships. There were a number of pianos that looked like baby grands, until you looked closely.

They were actually electronic pianos in a baby grand shaped case.
Makes sense when you think about it. They don't need to be tuned and their "strings" won't rust.

A couple of years ago I tried to organize a Piano Forums Cruise. I was hoping we could use a piano on the ship for members to play, and could cruise to somewhere that we could tour piano places (piano factories, piano stores, composers pianos, etc.).

Of course the primary advantage to playing on board is getting to travel to exotic places for free.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#492600 - 01/02/08 12:21 PM Re: cruise ships
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Frank B., I'm surprised cruise ships are going electric. I mean, with all those lavish expenses, you'd think they can spare money for a decent grand or two, along with maintenance costs.
More than a decade ago I went on board the QE2 when it was docked, and was fortunate enough to play on two wonderful grands that were on board -- one of them used to be on board the original Queen Mary! I hope the QE2 still has those instruments on board.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#492601 - 01/03/08 09:42 AM Re: cruise ships
Jamie Offline

Loc: Mt. Pearl, NL, Ca
I've cruised twice with Holland America in the last two years. In both cases, there was a mix of digital and acoustic pianos. As Frank stated, the digitals were craftily disguised in grand piano cases.

In both cases where I cruised, though, there were only a couple of digitals. I'd say there were around half a dozen pianos in total on board. The main dining room had a semi-concert grand (with disclavier, probably a Yamaha C7), the main theatre and show stage had a full concert grand, and the piano bar had a baby grand. There was also another lounge and coffee bar that had a semi-concert grand (I know that one was a C5). The dance club had a digital, and night club in the loft had a digital.

Due to the arrangements with the musicians, and the constant threat of virus contamination such as Norwalk (sp?), cruise staff are generally not fussy about passengers playing the instruments (as I learned for myself \:\( ). In the case of the two vessel's I cruised, the acoustics were all Yamahas. The digitals were a custom made job, the manufacturer's name I don't recall, but it's one not normally associated with off the shelf digitals.

#492602 - 01/03/08 09:56 AM Re: cruise ships
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
I know a trumpet player that did about 5 years worth of cruising
I suspect most decent trumpet players would spend most of their waking hours cruising .....

Oh, you mean cruise SHIPS. Ahhhh ..... ;\)

We spent a week in St. John this past summer. We spent the nights on terra firma, i.e. a hotel, not a ship, though our days were mostly aquatic. A lot of the attractions are underwater, after all. Pardon me, I ramble.

The hotel (Westin) actually had an acoustic piano in the main restaurant. It was a nice sized Kawai. With just a tad of pushing, Piano*Son asked if he could play it during dinner. He expected a curt, "you want to do what? No! that might upset our diners ...." Instead, they shut off the muzac and let him go. Fifteen minutes later he came back to the table. His report .... Caribbean pianos are suboptimal. Well, I don't think he used that word. Maybe it was "they suck." He said it was way out of tune and the action was inconsistent and a bit sticky. The poor thing lived in an open air swamp, essentially.

I can easily understand why cruise ships would move away from acoustics. There is probably no positive return on the investment. A huge percent of the clientele wouldn't know the difference, or care, and the maintenance and depreciation is a killer.

Oh, BTW, the restaurant brought us a full set of desserts as a tip.

[Pardon me if I've told this story before. I'm getting older. What can I say!]
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#492603 - 01/03/08 10:48 AM Re: cruise ships
Tavner Offline

Loc: San Diego
I just returned from a cruise on one of the larger Holland American ships. As described above, there was a mix of acoustic and digital pianos. The digital brand has the name "Slam Grand" on the fallboard. Why the silly name is beyond me; maybe it would appeal to Jerry Lee Lewis?

The sound of the digital grands was pretty bad. I felt sorry for one of the pianists who actually tried to play some interesting arrangements, but the effect was disappointing because of the whiny sound. There was what looked like to be a Yamaha concert grand in the theater. Unfortunately, I had to sit through 2 shows by an "artist" (who will go nameless) who pummeled the audience with his tedious, 1000-notes-too-many arrangements of pop songs. I'm sorry, when someone has to resort to glissandi with both hands up and down the keyboard multiple times during the same piece then I totally lose interest.

#492604 - 01/03/08 01:56 PM Re: cruise ships
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Jason (re tossed deck-chairs):
Didn't you mean occupied ones?

Nope. I was hoping that he did not miss a great opportunity ;\)

Considering the reported "girth" of the typical cruise passenger, tossing a deck chair overboard containing an occupant could require a crane \:D

There is that. Then again no-one has ever got anywhere in this world without a little bit of effort from time to time ;\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (albumblatter, aesop, accordeur, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1148 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157153 Topics
2308044 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission