Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#494245 - 11/08/07 11:35 PM Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
I just recorded this.

http://www.freewebs.com/amelialw/myrecordings.htm

feel free to comment!

Amelia

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#494246 - 11/08/07 11:50 PM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Nice job! This is one of my favorites of Chopin's etudes.

One suggestion: consider thinking of those big arpeggios up and down the keyboard as big dynamic waves: huge descresendos going down, huge crescendos going up (or vice-versa).

#494247 - 11/09/07 01:03 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Hi, Amelia:

Good job! I like the Rachmaninoff a lot.

#494248 - 11/09/07 06:03 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Wow, Amelia !

Thanks for posting the Etude 10.8 you have done a great job on it (bet you have spend some tome on that mid section ;\) )!
Wish your recording quality had been a little better to match your playing.

Ragnhild

#494249 - 11/09/07 06:24 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
Dan101 Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi there,

These are solid interpretations and I commend your courage in showing off your talent to us.

For the Chopin, I would even bring out more left hand. This piece, for me, has always had the feel of a triumphant march.

As for the Rachmaninoff, I'm used to faster playing. The right hand sparkling passage (in the beginning) reminds me of light reflecting and shimmering off of water in a lake of river.

Having said that, I did enjoy your performance. Your playing is grounded and sensitive.

#494250 - 11/09/07 08:21 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
Amelia
a good start to the Rach, but it needs to be a little quicker and a whole lot freer. I studied this recently and my teacher illustrated rubato styles to get me thinking of how free Rach and especially this prelude can be. First he played it - quite similar to how you play the Rach - and said this is how Beethoven would play this. It's very rhythmic with just a little easing at the ends of some of the phrases. Then he played it again with more rubato - moving forward a little (for example in the opening RH passage) and easing back - and said this is how Chopin would play it. Free but still quite controlled. Then he played it one more time, with a lot more rubato. The phrases can rush forward then pull back very dramatically. For example, in the opening RH passage you could start at your tempo, but by the time you hit bar 2, you can be playing twice as fast, then ease back some for the melody entry. Dan101's comment on shimmering is what you're looking for. Remember that light shimmering off a lake isn't a perfect reflection, the ripples and waves move around - so think of that when you're playing. Look thru the entire piece, there are lots of indications what Rach was thinking and feel like you're over doing it.
keep working away, you've got a great start

#494251 - 11/09/07 08:48 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Great.

The etude is one of my favorites as well as the prelude.

I would like to suggest something in the Rachmaninoff: try to lessen the accents in the left hand because it disturbs the flow .. make it flow more naturally.

#494252 - 11/09/07 10:14 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
You've done great to have learnt to play these pieces. Well done!

I did, however, feel, or rather I'm used to hearing it faster, that the etude was a bit slow. Well not slow, but just not quite played at the tempo I prefer it, though I may just be used to that tempo!!! And no one seems to have commented on that so far so it is probably me in the wrong!
And maybe the LH melody, especially at the start could be a bit louder? Or the RH accompaniment softer? Though that may have axtually been the recording equipment you used not making the dynamics seem as contrasting, maybe me being wrong again!

Great playing!

#494253 - 11/09/07 10:29 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Amelia :

The recording quality is such that it is difficult to appreciate any dynamics in your performance, although I hope they are there. Perhaps if you recorded with lower volume then there wouldn't be such heavy overload on louder passages.

The Chopin Etude, as others have indicated, needs to be performed at a faster tempo. Furthermore, it needs to come across as two beats per bar, not four. At the moment it comes across as a rather plodding four beats to a bar. You should be able to pick up the tempo - since you seem to have all the notes in your fingers - and when you do, think consistently two beats per bar.

While the RH does have accents marked on every beat, they need to be much more subtle than they are in this performance; as you play them, they are too strongly accented and they interrupt the flow of the RH figurations. While this is a "study" it is - as I am sure you realize - above all a musical study; it shouldn't sound like an elaborate - or difficult - five-finger exercise. One of the interpretive challenges of this rather difficult Etude is that it shouldn't sound difficult!

You need to work on RH-LH balance in the performance of this Etude. The main musical interest and the melody are both in the LH; the RH is pure filigree work to give tonal structure to the piece.

You're off to a good start with this. Keep at it.

Regards,

#494254 - 11/09/07 10:42 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
gmf001:
For example, in the opening RH passage you could start at your tempo, but by the time you hit bar 2, you can be playing twice as fast, then ease back some for the melody entry

I have recordings of this work by Horowitz, Richter, Ashkenazy, Weissenberg and Lugansky, to name but six(!), and all display each performer's different interpretative ideas. I have also studied the piece in the past with my teacher and indeed played it at an informal recital in October last year. On a general note, the composer is quite specific as to accelerando, rallentando, poco meno mosso, etc., markings at various points throughout this prelude, and personally I reckon that one should remain faithful to at least the spirit of them. E.g. to increase the tempo during the first two bars does nothing IMO but diminish the effect of the crescendo then diminuendo marked by the composer. The feel should be one of increased intensity of tone and volume, and precisely not one of speed, then fading back down to where the LH theme enters. Generally speaking, getting faster in the loud bits and slower in the quiet passages is a common basic error, and one to be avoided in broad terms.

So now I will listen to Amelia's recording, and perhaps come back with even more opinionated drivel \:\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#494255 - 11/09/07 11:13 AM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Hi Amelia,

Well done on the work done so far to get these pieces to where they are now. The recording quality and distortion make it difficult to make anything more than general remarks, but here goes... As others have noted, the tempo of both works is quite relaxed at present, which coupled with heavy accents here and there does lead to things being a bit 'ploddy' overall. I would suggest that quite often it is not that the first note of any group is too loud, (though this is often the case), but that those immediately following are too weak in comparison. In the Rachmaninoff for example, the 'shimmering' effect of the RH sextuplets comes from both a lightness and evenness of touch. For example the opening figure G#-D#-G#-D#-G#-D#, and where its equivalents recur, often comes out as G#[/b]-d#-g#-d#-G#[/b]-d#, etc, (especially where the first and third notes of the triplet-based theme coincide with the RH group) as the D#'s need to sound on a more equivalent level to the G#'s. There are perhaps also what sound like some misreadings in the chords half way down the 2nd page (section where you have the nasty LH descents, B-D#-B-D#, etc). In the Chopin, the RH needs to be a lot lighter and the whole thing a bit more playful, yet still march swiftly along in a 2 to the bar feel. Again the second note is often weak in comparison to the rest of the group of four. Also, getting this piece up to tempo is quite a challenge in terms of moving the hand appropriately whilst maintaining a regularity and evenness of touch. It sounds occasionally that you are already stretching a bit for the top note before redescending. Once nearer performance tempo, you certainly won't have the time to do this, so it is best to get into good habits of moving your hand as necessary before turning up the speed a bit.

I hope you take the above comments in the spirit of constructive criticism, and well done on a firm and solid foundation for these two pieces, which (especially the Chopin) present a lot of technical and musical challenges to any pianist. Keep up the good work! \:\)

Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#494256 - 11/09/07 01:17 PM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thanks everyone, I will take note of all those things. BruceD: thank you for pointing out some things that I should correct, those I need to keep in mind as my teacher did just correct me on mon but I forgot again.

I did my recording on an old mp3, so that explains the horrible sound quality.

I'll use something else to record again, will push the Chopin Etude and Rach prelude up by a notch, anyway I have to do it because of my competition comming up in 2 and a half weeks time.

thanks so much again, really appreciate it.

#494257 - 11/09/07 07:10 PM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Great performance, Amelia!

If you don't mind I just had a couple of quick comments (you can just ignore what I say if you disagree or anything):

As already mentioned, the Chopin was a bit slow. The tempo sort of made the piece become a bit too focused on the right hand, even though the melody is with the left.

In the beginning of the Rachmaninov, your right hand sometimes covers up the left hand melody completely. That left hand line needs to be heard.

#494258 - 11/09/07 07:22 PM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm starting to feel bad for posting my video recording in the actual "Member Recordings" section (and getting barely any responses) :p

I'm working on the G# Minor prelude. It's a nice piece. I'm not going to pretend that any advice I would give would be better than the rest of these folks, so I'll just say I agree with most of it.

From a listener's perspective (those who you will be performing to), I thought the G# minor was sometimes a bit too indistinct and so didn't hold interest as well as in some other recordings I've heard.

#494259 - 11/10/07 02:35 PM Re: Chopin Etude in F major Op.10 No.8 and rachmaninoff prelude in g sharp- Op.32 No.12
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok, thanks, i've taken note of all these things and corrected them.

Anyway I have a competition rehearsal class with my teacher and her other student today.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
172 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 7notemode, 36251, 45 invisible), 1719 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76033 Members
42 Forums
157209 Topics
2308993 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
09/01/14 02:11 PM
Do you "swing" your Courante?
by Cinnamonbear
09/01/14 01:47 PM
Kawai MP6 and settings via MIDI
by Lania
09/01/14 01:10 PM
Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 4 in Ab - technique question
by Pistos
09/01/14 10:37 AM
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
09/01/14 09:29 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission