2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Has anyone played these transcriptions? I really like a lot of Bach's organ works but sadly I do not have a pipe organ installed in my house, nor is there really a church which has an organ around here. That aside, I would like to learn a bit on piano, (prelude in A minor BWV 543?) and was wondering what your opinions were on this in terms of technical challenge. Am I really kidding myself with this or could a person with intermediate technical ability be able to tackle it?

Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i started a few of these pieces as a fairly intermediate player. they are my favorite pieces in all piano literature.

They seem quite difficult. the A minor has some killer passages.. (crashing octaves and gliding sixes that are still almost inaccessible to me). There are some beyond Bach technical challenges that may need alot of attention and work. There are chords that are impossible unless you can span 20 keys...

if you can play WTC fugues, i think you can work on these pieces. They are so gorgeous. I expect to polish a couple this year and have been working on them on and off for quite some time.

it is really neat to play the pianistic enhancements that Lizst offers to these pieces. They are brilliantly done... they are also written by a man who could outplay many..maybe i suggest that they are worth studying but possibly are inconquerable for a player who is not advanced... (many football players are tackled but not all are brought down :rolleyes: )

currently i am working on one of the C majors (and the A minor)
a little article on Bach transcriptions

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks. I'll see what I can do with them.

S
S
I played the A minor for my college audition - it's definitely one of my favorite pieces. I compared the original prelude with Liszt's transcription and was somewhat surprised to find that Liszt remained faithful to the score, absolutely. There are even a few spots he could've doubled the bass in order to give a fuller, organ-pedal sound.

The fugue is very taxing, mentally as well as physically, but I never found the prelude to be particularly difficult. I did practice the piece a great deal, though - it's certainly not a simple undertaking. There are some spots (the second-to-last-page in the fugue, for example) that are simply jaw-dropping when you first try to wrap your hands around them, but after a week or two or three of thoughtful practice, things will fall into place.

I would think these pieces would be quite difficult for an intermediate pianist, but certainly doable given enough determination.

Good luck!

can anybody recommend recording of these?

thanks apple!

you know.. i'm working really hard on the C major fugue..

these pieces i think are Bach's crown jewels.. polished for the wonder instrument, the piano, by one of the world's greatests pianists.

It should be mandatory that everyone learn them.

M
M
Anyone know what editions are available of these transcriptions, other than Dover?

Thanks....

-merlin

R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Did Liszt ever transcribe Bach's C-minor passacaglia and fugue?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
these pieces i think are Bach's crown jewels.. polished for the wonder instrument, the piano
As these are but transcriptions of the master's original intent, I would have to say (as far as Bach organ works) that the true "wonder instrument" must remain ... the organ! wink

Many pianists may actually despise the organ, however I feel it is important for pianists to have an appreciation for the medium for which the works were originally intended, whether organ, violin, or whatever...

PS: Sad that it is becoming impossible to hear REAL organ music on the radio today ... only transcriptions. frown

M
M
Agreed wholeheartedly!

But like me, the vast majority of us, if I may be so bold, do not have access to an organ, let alone one with rich and resonant pipes.

So we must be satisfied with Liszt's attempt at approximating the sound and majesty of these Bach preludes and fugues on the piano.

-merlin

you need to move to KC.. our programmers for public radio love organ works.. usually 2 a day.

(and i respectfully disagree of course about the wonder instrument)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by memrys:
Anyone know what editions are available of these transcriptions, other than Dover?
I have Editio Musica Budapest. Its in the Transkriptionen VII volume of the Liszt Klavierwerke series. Good quality, urtext edition.

btw - im with apple, that A- is one of my favorite pieces.

Regarding recordings, Alexis Weisenberg also recorded the A minor (maybe others as well). Its on the compilation of his works form the 'Great Pianist' series. His recording is devine, he's a bit more liberal with the pedal than Pizarro or Howard and I think it works well.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
you need to move to KC.. our programmers for public radio love organ works.. usually 2 a day.
Thanks Apple - that makes my day! smile

PS: I'm equally a fan of the piano. Of course!

R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
*Revive*

I have a question. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of these transcriptions, so I was wondering if anybody could tell me how exactly Liszt was able to work the foot-pedal part in while the two hands were playing at the same time. In all of the Bach organ fugues I've heard the pedals come in as a fourth voice, but how is this possible with two hands?

Or could someone send me a pdf of one of the transcriptions?

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I got an absolutely outstanding volume from Hutchins and Rea -- Bach - Collected Transcriptions - 26 Collected Transcriptions by Great Composers and Pianists - the
volume # is 2044. You can’t live without this so run, do not walk, to your nearest point
and click and get this. All the biggies are in here - Liszt (yes, it’s got the a minor), Busoni,
Saint-Saens, Rocky, Kempff, Brahms, etc. etc. I have tried most of it and particularly the
Bach-Liszt g minor Fantasia. Yes, the textures are kind of thick - you sort of get in your
own way but the end result is exceedingly rewarding, as mentioned in previous posts.

i'm working on the 544 C major.. it's a blast. maybe not as monumental as the A-, maybe a little easier in that it has less emotional demands and less pyrotechnics.

however, it is DANG hard. I'm going to be working on it for a year.

Reaper -

"so I was wondering if anybody could tell me how exactly Liszt was able to work the foot-pedal part in while the two hands were playing at the same time. In all of the Bach organ fugues I've heard the pedals come in as a fourth voice, but how is this possible with two hands"

Bach wrote lots of fugues with 4 voices.. (for two hands)..... it does require a great concentration, i think to really have all four going at once.. Fortunately, it's a learnable skill.

Lizst just really stretches out the hands.... sometimes too far for me.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission