2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
smile i'm going to see Emanuel Ax play the brahms first piano concerrto, 8/6/03 and Martha Argerich play Prrkofiev's third piano concerto 8/14/03, and i'm soo happy. oh yeah my mom brought me the music that their going to play and i said that i can't play any of that stuff right now but she said it was to follow along during the performance, is that normal or not? omg i can't wait this is like my first semi-big concert that i have been to. there are still tickets being sold i think, and how is it sitting right in front because that is where i am like front-middle section, is it too much or just good? laugh laugh

smile August 6 THE PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA
8:15 p.m.
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Emanuel Ax, piano
BEETHOVEN:
Overture, Coriolan
BRAHMS: Piano
Concerto No. 1
BEETHOVEN:
Symphony No. 5
7 p.m.
Pre-Performance Talk smile

----------------------------------------

smile August 14 THE PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA
8:15 p.m.
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Martha Argerich, piano
MUSORGSKY: Prelude
to Khovanshchina
PROKOFIEV: Piano
Concerto No. 3
SHOSTAKOVICH:
Symphony No. 5
7 p.m.
Pre-Performance Talk smile

Dave,
Congratulations on the oportunity to go see that. I'm sure that the performances will be spectacular! I have never been to a real piano concert myself as they never seem to come around Calgary, but would love to go. I think that having the score is a great idea but I'm nt sure that I would have the concntration to follow it, I would be sooo excited to see greats like Argerich!
I hope that you have a great time, and maybe even get to meet a couple of them if you are lucky...
Enjoy yourself

LTLR

[Linked Image]

A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment one man contemplates it bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
While it's not bad concert etiquette to follow along with the score - as long as you turn pages very quietly, and otherwise do not draw attention to yourself and away from the performance - I would not advise you to bring along the score.
You are going to hear two of the great pianists out there perform, so why would you want to watch notes on a page, instead of what the performers are doing?

You should take the score, listen to some recordings of these pieces - following along with the score - so you are familiar with the pieces. Leave the scores at home, and enjoy the concert.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
David King:

In the days of the old Met(ropolitan Opera, NYC), there used to be a small area in one of the top balconies, I believe, with (dimly lit) desks where serious music students could follow the performance with a score.

Nowadays, I believe that this is rarely done, except perhaps in student recitals, but not in formal recitals and concerts. I vote with Phlebas; if you're sitting in the audience-proper it could be very distracting to your neighbors if you are turning the pages of the score during the performance, however quietly you do it. Gain your familiarity with the score before you go and then sit back and take it all in, ears and eyes.

Enjoy!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
thanks everyone!! smile
i don't think that i will bring the score.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
David-
Where's SPAC? I would absolutly do anything to see argerich play the prok. 3!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
D
OP Offline
D
here is the web site Saratoga Performing Arts Center SPAC

In New York i'm not to sure myself but thats what mapquest.com is for! smile thumb

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Wow, Saratoga Springs is very far from NYC. Maybe If I gas up the private jet, I can make there!

laugh wow

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, that is really far! That's too bad!

I am EXTREMELY jealous. Just a warning, however- Miss Argerich has the tendancy to not show up to concerts, just about ever. So until she physically steps out on that stage, expect that another artist will be performing. Especially since she's been sick, and the Prok 3 is a very athletic piece.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission