2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
agraffe Offline OP
OP Offline
I am a returning adult piano student currently taking lessons, and in my quest to practice and play more effectively, I am contemplating ordering (from "amazon") a couple of books on technique. They are _The Piano Lessons Book: The piano student's guide for getting the most out of practicing, lessons, your teacher and yourself_ by Neil Miller, and _Improve Your Piano Playing_ by John Meffen. If you have read either or both of these books, could you please let me know in this thread what you thought of them, whether and in what ways they were helpful or failed to be helpful, etc. I'm dazzled by the titles and their promises, but wary, too, for obvious reasons.

Please f

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
C
C
I have not read either of those books, but as far as the practicing angle, you should really check out "The Art of Practicing" by Madeline Bruser. It's a relatively recent publication. It's somewhat generalized to all instruments/voice, but is fairly biased toward the piano (the author admits as much; she is a professional pianist and teacher, so she naturally uses her own pianistic experiences to relate information), and is just really a good read for any musician who wants to get the most out of their time practicing.

It covers the mental aspects well -- it presents four different mindsets that people fall into when they're practicing, how they are detrimental, and how to stay out of them. It encourages a sort of mindfulness that is reminiscent of zen/yoga/meditation, without fully "going there" and becoming a religious read. It also covers the benefits of stretching, proper breathing, and other physical aspects that directly contribute to how you're making music--kind of a mild zen/yoga approach that really makes sense, and really helps.

I can confidently say, just order it, I highly doubt you'll regret spending the $10 it costs on Amazon. I know several musicians who find the book very valuable.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have "Improve Your Piano Playing" and "The Art of Practicing" and have read through both of them several times. While Meffen's book is not a complete "everything you need to know to play the piano" course, he has a good basic coverage of practicing and technique.

Another couple of books I recommend are "The Perfect Wrong Note" by William Westney and "The Inner Game of Music" by Barry Green.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Stay away from any books that ask you to shape your hands (i.e. holding a ball, orange etc).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
kbk, I believe we are safe there, at least with the books I recommended above.

Madeline Bruser's book has the following quote on this subject:

Health professionals talk about "the position of function" of the hand - a neutral position from which the finger function with the greatest strength and efficiency. Dr. Emil Pascarelli suggests finding this position by extending your forearm, not bending your wrist in any particular dirction, and turning your hand palm up. The natural curve your hand assumes is the position of function. If you keep this curve and simply turn your hand over onto a piano keyboard, you have a strong, comfortable, loose hand.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission