2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#496259 09/16/06 06:03 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Hello everyone. I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance!

I started having a lot of pain in my wrists and the larger muscle on the hand (the thumb and below). I'm wondering how it can be helped? I'm also getting some recent pains in the shoulder and the mid-arm and upper arm. I don't think it's my position/posture because I check to make sure and my teacher checks it and makes sure that nothing's wrong with it. I'm not sure why I'm having pains, but please give me some advice on how I can help it a little bit.

Secondly, I have a piano competition coming up--not sure which one, but I'm having a lot of fun with my piece. It's Rachmaninoff's Etudes-Tableux No. 9 and it's a great piece! I just want to know how I can practice it without getting really bored of it. I practice about an hour to two hours on average--I'm trying to get to two and a half or so. But usually my time doesn't allow for long practice hours.

Advice please? Thanks in advance to all!

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
#496260 09/17/06 02:07 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Careful about the pain-you don't want to end up with an injury that could last for months or longer. My advice, above all, is first to STOP playing for a little while. Let it rest and heal, and in the meantime try and figure out what caused it. Pain is never a good thing in piano playing. I know you have a competition coming up, but weigh your options carefully...

#496261 09/17/06 02:19 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by SPS:
Careful about the pain-you don't want to end up with an injury that could last for months or longer. My advice, above all, is first to STOP playing for a little while. Let it rest and heal, and in the meantime try and figure out what caused it. Pain is never a good thing in piano playing. I know you have a competition coming up, but weigh your options carefully...
SPS, thanks so much for the advice. The pain is not so bad that I've had to stop. Mostly, it's just little twinges and stuff, but sometimes it is a lot. I've taken to bandaging it during the night as I sleep with an Ace bandage or a cloth bandage of the type. I did it for two days and it was better afterward. I think it's the excessive practicing that does it. I also play the violin and usually go straight to the piano afterward.

I'm weighing them carefully. When I DO practice and I'm in pain, I usually limit it to just playing the piece through or going over a part or so. If it gets bad enough that it hurts, I stop immediately. I'm hoping it'll stop soon, but as of right now, it's still going on a little bit more.

Thanks for the input!

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
#496262 09/17/06 05:01 PM
If you want to continue to practice, try this:

1. Cut your practice time in half for a few days to see if your condition improves. Or...

2. Practice each insrument on alternate days (again with shortened time frames) to see if that changes your condition.

Since you want to figure this out empirically, you have to systematically isolate the variables which may be causing the pain.

Good luck.

#496263 09/17/06 05:15 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by playliszt:
If you want to continue to practice, try this:

1. Cut your practice time in half for a few days to see if your condition improves. Or...

2. Practice each insrument on alternate days (again with shortened time frames) to see if that changes your condition.

Since you want to figure this out empirically, you have to systematically isolate the variables which may be causing the pain.

Good luck.
playlizst,
Thank you so much for the input! Those sound like great ideas, and I've tried them before, but the pain only started recently. And I honestly don't think it's age that is doing it. I was thinking maybe excessive practicing, but other than that, I can't think of another reason way.

How exactly do you suggest systematically isolating the variables of pain? Are there any ways I can try to prevent them? I've bandaged my wrist and hand two nights, but that's all I've really done. I've shortened my practice times to about half, but recently have had to pull them up because of being 'out of commission', per say, for so long. I wasn't able to really practice for about three weeks, so I started practicing longer and longer. I'll try your suggestions and see how I fare.

Thank you!

#496264 09/17/06 05:15 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if your posture is ok, then check your tension level when playing/practicing. one thing you could try is to practice everything with very light/soft touch, no matter what the actual dynamic is. the reason for doing so is to force yourself to relax or minimize your effort as much as possible even with all those fast/difficult passages.

#496265 09/17/06 05:19 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by signa:
if your posture is ok, then check your tension level when playing/practicing. one thing you could try is to practice everything with very light/soft touch, no matter what the actual dynamic is. the reason for doing so is to force yourself to relax or minimize your effort as much as possible even with all those fast/difficult passages.
signa,
Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried that before and found some tension. I do play the whole song soft as well, because that's when my teacher tells me that I make the most progress. IT's also a good technique to use, no matter what the piece. I'm still unsure though as to what I should do when I have pain. I saw some other people suggest wrist-guards or something during the night, I did bandage my wrist and hand up for two nights and it seemed to be better, but other than that, I don't know what else to do.

Those practicing tips seem great though! I do believe that tension is going to be a lot of the factors in my pain. The worst of it was yesterday though. And it was pretty bad. I'll try checking and being more aware of my tension and relaxation though!

Thank you! I'm sure it'll help me a lot!

#496266 09/17/06 05:41 PM
melody,
i've noticed in your profile you've posted 122 times since sept. 3. check your computer use maybe? --just a thought. good luck with your Rachmaninoff.

#496267 09/17/06 06:04 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by chrysler imperial:
melody,
i've noticed in your profile you've posted 122 times since sept. 3. check your computer use maybe? --just a thought. good luck with your Rachmaninoff.
Brilliant!

Freecell nearly ruined my mouse hand.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
#496268 09/17/06 06:06 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
melody,
Chrysler Imperial,

I thought about that too! But, the only problem with THAT theory of ours is that ever since I've been able to go on the computer, I've been on it and never have had any pain. In only started recently. I've thought about that too because I'm always on the computer typing, but only because I NEED too. I'm not offended, don't worry. I thought that that was one of the main factors, actually.

But honestly, if that is a part of the problem, then I think it's a fairly small amount. I hope that it'll improve soon, but I've just finished practicing my piano and it's starting to hurt again a little bit.

Thanks for the luck and for the input!

#496269 09/17/06 06:07 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Palindrome:
[b] melody,
Brilliant!

Freecell nearly ruined my mouse hand. [/b]
Really? That's interesting, Palindrome!

Thanks for the input! I'm really glad you commented! I need the help, trust me!

#496270 09/17/06 06:20 PM
i spend my days teaching 5 yr olds how to play the triangle. simplicity is my forte--that and atrophy of the mind.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission