2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4964 03/11/08 08:32 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I find it very interesting when someone (always a non-piano player or someone who took some lessons when they were young) has a piano in their house - sometimes for years and years - and they don't know what brand name it is! A person will tell me "Oh, I have had a piano for 35 years... my parents bought it when I was young and I took lessons for a couple of years" So I always ask them what brand it is... and get an answer "I don't remember". However, ask them what kind of car they own... and right away they know it's a Buick or a Chevy... even what year it is and how many miles it has! Am I expecting too much from people? Of course a professional or good amateur pianist would know what they have... but not everyone who owns a piano knows. Anyone out there with the same experience?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know. It's weird. This happened to me recently. We had dinner out with some professional acquaitances. We all came back to our house after dinner, and I played the piano a little bit. One of the men said that he has a piano at home, that was his dad's. He was thinking of having the kids take lessons (yeah, right). I asked him what kind of piano, and he didn't know. I thought it was strange. People have mixed up values. Go figure.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Very, very common.

In fact, I would hazard a guess of 25% with players and 50% of non-players.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Online Content
I suppose that mostly us members (and dealers) here on the PW forums are the fanatics about brands. laugh

I’ve called about local ads for pianos for sale and the seller didn’t know the brand name; they kind of acted like I was a nut for wanting to know the brand name. laugh

Wouldn’t it be nice if all that really mattered was the touch and tone? laugh

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Steve - for the 25% of players, I hope that would mostly be made from people who have non-branded pianos and basement instruments long since painted and coated with Mod Podge so there's no way to know what the brand name is. Otherwise, I'd have to seriously question the good sense of anyone who could sit for months on end (more or less) IN FRONT OF the piano's name right there above middle-C and not see it.

As for the non-players: they probably don't know the brand name of the sofa in their living room, either wink

Mostly people think my piano is an "off brand" since it's neither Steinway nor Baldwin (which seems to be the two names that most punters call out if you run into a pub and yell out "name a piano brand.")

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I had a wedding consultation with a bride-to-be who pointed at a Steinway grand and asked "So... is that the organ?"

eek :rolleyes:

OK, let's play devil's advocate for a moment. Suppose you had a credenza inherited from your parents, and you were not a furniture aficionado. If someone asked you the brand name, you might not be aware, even if it was by a prominent furniture maker.

Granted, if the fallboard isn't down you might expect these people to pass by and notice the darn thing once in a while! Yet I can imagine people not noticing things around them if they really don't care much.

Having said all that ...... what's WITH these people??? laugh

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I had a wedding consultation with a bride-to-be who pointed at a Steinway grand and asked "So... is that the organ?"

I LOVE it! cool

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

W
W
Originally posted by CozyWriter:

As for the non-players: they probably don't know the brand name of the sofa in their living room, either wink
I bet they know the brand of their television, though wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Televisions have brands??

laugh

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I perfectly remember the piano I have learned on as a child, Lehmann was the name, it was certainly not a quality piano as many would expect today but it was my piano and I will never forget it.

I also instantly remembered, although atthe time I could not link anything with the name, the upright piano of my piano teacher when I first read that name again: Bluethner.
It was written with the "Umlaut", in an elegant writing that I remember because I have a photographic memory for these things and because I could never, ever play on a piano without knowing its name.... it would be like getting on a car without knowing the make...

I wonder now whether it was a pre-war example or a communist one, which I think they continued to produce and sell in the West after the war; it certainly looked more modern than the piano I had at home and the difference in the keyboard was immediately noticeable, but that was just the "working animal", she also had a grand all for her... wink .

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Don't forget about the people who know their pianos' name, but not who really made them....Schaffer & Sons, D. H. Baldwin, etc. & I'm not trying to start something, this has been discussed enough, but what about Boston & Essex?

Clint Tucker, Piano Retailer For Almost Thirty Years(OMG). Yamaha and Pramberger
G
G
Just for the record, I know quite a few people who don't know what sort of car they drive, and I remember one particularly memorable response to the question "what sort of car do you drive?" Answer - a red one. laugh

Originally posted by whippen boy:

What? She didn't point to her husband-to-be when she said that. Pity ..... :p

T
T
Yeah, as Prince once replied to a question like that...

I didn't know
I was playing
in a cathedral.

I have people who think washing machines are dryers at my laundromats. And they wonder why success is so elusive.

W
W
We hear that all the time. Another funny thing we run into all the time is people calling about tunings who ask if the tuner comes out to the house or they have to bring the piano in! I don't mean to mock anyone, but come on that's just common sense!

http://www.worldpiano.net
The World's Finest Pianos
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
As a child my old upright had the name York on it. I often wondered later in life if "New" had preceded it and had worn off. It was sold when I was about 10 so I never had the chance to find out.

I often have people who express the same inability to name the piano they own.

Boy, here in Kentucky people would not understand if you didn't know the origin of your horse. Here not only do they know the name and breed but the sire, dam, grandsire, damsire, etc.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission