2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
akonow Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've always wondered if it is easier to learn another instrument once you've gotten reasonably proficient at the piano. The practice from reading notes, memorizing, and matching specific notes and chords to certain keys must play some role in playing other instruments right? I would really like to hear the thoughts of people who play instruments other than the piano (even if they learned the piano later). smile

Thanks.

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I do think piano does help with other instruments. As a voice teacher, students who play piano have less trouble learning songs (yes, SONGS because they are SUNG...ok, back OT :p ) as they can not only get their notes themselves on the piano, they can also play the accompaniments on their own to get a better idea of how the whole thing comes together. I always recommend my voice students take lessons in some other instrument for the reading factor alone, but piano is ideal since voice students have to work so closely with pianists on a regular basis.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There are pluses and minuses. I took up the clarinet at the age of 14, and it definitely helped that I could read music, sight-read easily, and was familiar with the basics of music theory. However, there were things that I did not know how to do - my piano training did not sharpen my ear to the point where I could tell that a note was just a leetle out of tune, I had trouble maintaining a flowing melodic line (on a piano, once you press a key it's over; on a clarinet, you can control the loudness of the note throughout), etc. I think that overall, it was definitely a plus, though.

I am learning the theremin now, and facing the same issues, except more so as far as staying in tune is concerned.

it sure helps with the organ. I've easily dabbled in other instruments, probably because i know how to read music. .. it all makes sense so much more easily.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Larisa:

I am learning the theremin now
That is so cool.

Houston, Texas
All the great 18th century keyboard players were also violinists. Mozart, believe it or not, was a better violinist than pianist. I think it shows in the demands he sets in his keyboard works.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I started on piano only. I remember being tested once for pitch, and I think I was unable to tell a C from an F#.

In 7th grade I wanted to join the band, and only tuba was left so I chose it. I was a weak tuba player, though I was first chair in 9th grade, but in 10th I switched to euphonium, and from that time on I was 1st chair in every ensemble I was in, including my college wind ensemble.

Sometime later I was tested again and was able to recognize any pitch on the piano.

Brass is a HUGE help in developing the ear, because the valves do almost nothing in the high register. It's almost like singing, except you buzz the lips instead of vibrating vocal cords.

In college, I went for an initial exam in sightsinging and passed the whole two year course in advance. I was able to sing tone rows.

In general, the worst sightsingers were singers who ONLY sang. But the best were often pianists who also sang or played wind instruments, stringed instruments, and so on.

The piano is THE instrument for seeing how everything is laid out, the best possible background for theory (or any keyboard instrument), but by itself it is not nearly as powerful overall as playing another instrument (in addition) that demands fine control of pitch and all sorts of things that we as pianists have no control over. Also, wind and string players have to develop the ability to bend to the needs of other players, which pianists do not necessarily have to do.

(For instance, the same player who seems just fine playing alone in a lounge might be the worst possible keyboard player in a jazz ensemble, not only because of trying to play everything, stepping all over the leads and bass player but also from lack of the special feel for rhythms in an ensemble.)

And before singers get angry at me, some of those singers who couldn't pass a sight-singing test to save their lives had superb ears. They just had nothing physical to link to, and that made looking at notes in a score and "turning them into pitches" a lot harder.

The voice itself is THE most difficult instrument, and anyone who can sing very well in tune and can duplicate what s/he hears has all the raw talent you need for anything the ear needs, in my opinion. smile

Oh, I forgot the main point: most DEFINITELY, the piano or any keyboard instrument makes playing other instruments easier. It just doesn't automatically guarantee success.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My progression through instruments was violin, voice--and then piano. There is a fundamental difference in tone production.

Violinists and singers work the tone all the way to the end of the tone. They may think ahead to the next tone, but they cannot physically get off the tone, and prepare for the next.

For the pianist, once the key is struck, there is nothing more that can be done with the hand, other than to sustain. It's all over, and the pianist is able to take nearly all of the weight off the key, and physically prepare the hand for the next key.

For years I was digging my hands deeply into the keys well after the tone was struck--all to no avail--resulting in a sluggish quality to my piano playing.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Larisa:
on a piano, once you press a key it's over;
Originally posted by tomasino:
For the pianist, once the key is struck, there is nothing more that can be done with the hand, other than to sustain. It's all over, and the pianist is able to take nearly all of the weight off the key, and physically prepare the hand for the next key.
It's all over? eek What a fatalistic approach! Surely one can look forward to... the release of the note? laugh And you get a choice of releasing it with the hand, or the foot - such an abundance of riches!

I used to be unconcerned with the release of the note, until I started studying the harpsichord and organ; there, the release can be crucial.

I've taken that approach to the piano, and have discovered that - yes, there is life after the key has been struck. smile

PS: one of my favorite things to do is to release the damper pedal while still holding a chord; I may pedal several times until the chord fades away. It has the effect of accelerating the diminuendo of the chord.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've played the bagpipes in the past and dabbled with the lute, self taught with both after learning piano after a fashion as a child. I found both pretty easy to learn. The idea of learning to play a violin (no frets, no holes, no keys!!!) scares me to death.

Chopin, whose father played the flute and violin and whose "piano" teacher was primarily a violinist, learned to play the violin as youing boy and as a teenager once improvised beautifully on someone else's cello but there's no indication he ever touched either instrument after he left Poland.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Chopin ... once improvised beautifully on someone else's cello
How scandalous! laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Quoting whippen boy
It's all over? What a fatalistic approach! Surely one can look forward to... the release of the note? And you get a choice of releasing it with the hand, or the foot - such an abundance of riches!
No, whip, I do know about sustaining or not sustaining, and the affect of a slow or a quick drop of the dampers, either by finger or pedal. In fact, I've written about this in other threads.

But it has little to do with the point I was making here.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Originally posted by whippen boy:
- yes, there is life after the key has been struck. smile
I wouldn't be so sure.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission