2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JonBrom Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Am I alone in thinking that "Guitar Hero" is evil and anti-music?

My 23 year-old nephew got it for Christmas, spent all day "playing" it. I looked it over. It is not anything like playing a real guitar, or any musical instrument. It just allows you to think you're making music, but you're not.

I told him I'd give him my acoustic guitar but he said that would be "too hard."

My sister says he might "motivate" him to want to learn a real guitar. I replied that I wouldn't give it to a dim-witted six-year-old.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Not really, it's a piece of plastic which you mash buttons in rythm to music.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

Now here is a game I like wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Generally I think it's time better spent learning a real instrument. At the very least it helps you with rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
In my experience, the people who play and enjoy Guitar Hero were never going to learn a real instrument anyway. They know it's a game and not actual playing of an instrument, and they're doing it because it's fun to them.

Then there are the people who already play an instrument and don't mind to pick up guitar hero every now and again for the simple reason that when you have a group of people together, it IS quite fun.

In conclusion, some people like to play video games and some like to play music and some like to do both, so why should a video game aimed at the people who like video games be considered evil?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well the whole "evil" thing is just alarmist anyways. I've tried the game at a friend's house but I didn't find it all that fun, it wore off pretty quickly. I hear there's a new game which allow numerous people to play a sort of "band" together. I can see how that would be more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
J
JonBrom Offline OP
OP Offline
J
What I think is "evil" is that my nephew and his buds DID think they were making music. But they weren't; they were playing a video arcade game version of "air guitar," nothing more.

Except that anyone playing "air guitar" isn't fooling themselves they are really playing a guitar. It's the false feeling of artistic accomplishment without the hard work, focus, and dedication that evoking music from an instrument demands, that's what's popular about this game. And that's disgusting and disturbing to me.

I played Beethoven's sonatina in G on the piano for my nephew and his friends, showing them how complicated my finger movements were - compared to what you do with the Guitar Hero "guitar" - and remarked how much effort it took to learn to play what is considered a very SIMPLE piano piece, yet it gives me such unalloyed pleasure and satifaction to play it BECAUSE it took such effort.

He and his buds didn't get it, and that's what I find so destructive about this "game."

they're kids. They won't understand most of what anyone tells them. The most you can do is encourage them in the right direction through various means. Just showing off doesn't do much unless they're already interested.

Now if you train them to think, eventually they'll understand a lot more things in life.

-Piano Instructor since 2008-
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Ha, you should give them SingStar, it's awesome!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Guitar Hero is one of the most fun games I have ever played. I enjoy a lot of the music on the game and it's fun to show off in front of friends at parties and such. I agree with AdlerAugen. They're kids. Of course I find playing the piano a thousand times more rewarding than playing guitar hero. But guitar hero is just really really really really really fun.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never played guitar hero, so I can't rate it.

However, I have played that version of Dance Dance Revolution for the keyboard. I played it for a few years, and was actually really good(able to get quite respectable scores on the hardest songs).

Little did I know that everyone else was using two hands on the keyboard, and also using a much easier keymapping. laugh

I guess that's one of the benefits of playing piano.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
ahhh i can really relate to both sides of this argument, and depending which way i think about it, it's either evil and destructive or just a load of fun. If people believe that they ARE making music though Guitar Hero, then they need a dose of reality, but i've played it, and it IS a whole lot of fun...

But as musicians, WE know which option (real music vs guitar hero) is more rewarding, can give you a career, is the most open to personal creative input, will unlock the door to a huge and enriching community of like-minded musicians, etc.

Deep down, most people know that real music is far better in just about every way, but whether they can find the motivation to learn a real instrument or not is up to them. It doesn't matter if they can't, they wouldn't have the discipline to become good anyway! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A simple loop can be music as well. I mean take most DJs, who claim that are composers. In the end they are, no matter how insulting it may seem to Beethoven, or his peers... laugh same with guitar hero, etc. There might be a 5% which ends up researching on real isntruments, for the rest it's just a bit of fun.

Not all computer games should be treated like the end of the world, or the begining of something else.

I mean, if you consider guitar hero "evil" what can you say about Doom, Quake, WOW, and whatever else honestly disturbing games (which I love and work on something equally disturbing ones, as a composer) that are out there. At least in guitar hero you end up clicking on buttons and playing some kind of limited music. In luminess you play tetris while changing music slightly, in flow, you... flow while changing the music phrases slightly again.

Art? Well... why not (!)

But it's just a computer game.

Want your nephew to be "inspered"? Take him to a GOOD concert, whether this is Beyonce, or Radiohead, or Argericht! He should be equally impressed! Get him DVDs, or plug him to you tube and the few GOOD videos of classical music that have millions of views! Teach him yourself.

I, for once, have 2 boys, 2 and 4 year old, and they LOVE (adore, or sing along if you want) Madness, Queen, NIN (!), KoRn (!) and the song "you can call me al", along with Shostackovich Symphony no.10, 2nd movement (where they try to conduct along the conductor! laugh ) It's a begining. I hope I won't "break down" (without saying that you did), if I see my kids loving some no good "artist" with a 1 week career, who was illuminated by some crappy reality show in MTV, or worst... wink (See? There are SO many worst things out there than guitar hero wink )

L
L
It is shame to spend all that time not really playing an instrument. I've played it once. If you flip it over you can play it like a 5 note piano and it's a piece of cake smile

H
H
music is music. video games are video games. I love both.

You can take a noob and train him all day but that'll just make him a trained noob...
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used to play guitar, guitar hero feels odd to me - to be playing something other than the music that comes out. It's weird to be watching these dots that don't represent what I'm hearing.

...and embarrassing to suck so bad on a 5-button stringless guitar after playing a real one for so many years laugh

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My daughter plays guitar hero sometimes at her friends house. She has a blast. She also takes piano lessons, and enjoys them a lot.
She also plays Wii a bit too.

Guitar Hero is just a game. It's not a big deal.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Guitar Hero is a way to interact with time-honored songs and rock out at the same time. For me, playing Guitar Hero is the closest I'll get to being on a stage with a guitar, shredding for crowds of thousands.

If Guitar Hero inspires people to go take lessons, I take that as a good thing. And it gets people who aren't "serious" (what is serious, anyway?) about music to have fun with it. It's a party game and it brings people together, and I've never met anyone who's said Guitar Hero is making music.

And this is coming from the point of view of a piano teacher.

Bottom line, Guitar Hero is fun. It's easier for pianists and good sightreaders (just like DDR is easier for me than others) but it's *fun*. Don't lord it over others because you can do something more complicated than mashing buttons at the right time. Guitar Hero gets you into the spirit of rock - and I wholeheartedly approve of that.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
I think the real frustration over Guitar Hero for musicians is that the game is generally pursued by people convinced that they do not now and never will have any musical ability--when in reality the jump from the game to the real thing is much smaller than they think.

It's also merely reflects a broader social phenomenon--it is far quicker and easier to become a G.H. virtuoso than to gain comparable skill on even the simplest of instruments.

"I seek not for power but to pull it down."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
Not really, it's a piece of plastic which you mash buttons in rythm to music.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

Now here is a game I like wink
Is that Zelda in the demonstratory video?

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's a video game and it is meant for people to have fun. At the very least it will teach people hand-eye coordination by hitting buttons and "strumming" in rhythm. The game also requires quite a bit of skill, as shown here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWCi3-whXzE

If people have fun doing something harmless, what's so bad about it? It's certainly an alternative to rocking out on the air guitar.

Houston, Texas
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission