Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#499742 - 10/15/05 01:28 PM It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Darn Pianist Offline

Loc: Somewhere
Gays or bisexuals or whatever... in short, they have a different degree in gender issues...I've already proven this myself... in my conservatory, those you suspect to be such are most probably correct...

Well, are there any gays and bisexuals out here?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#499743 - 10/15/05 01:46 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ignorant kid Offline

Loc: Poquoson, Virginia
Not me, but I definately know what you're talking about.

Maybe a better question is: are gays drawn to the piano or does all that piano-playing tend to make some people gay?

#499744 - 10/15/05 01:50 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ignorant kid:
Maybe a better question is: are gays drawn to the piano or does all that piano-playing tend to make some people gay? [/b]
Probably the former. (If there really is any correlation.)

#499745 - 10/15/05 01:53 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Darn Pianist Offline

Loc: Somewhere
 Quote:

Maybe a better question is: are gays drawn to the piano or does all that piano-playing tend to make some people gay? [/b]
hahahahahaha... nice one...

#499746 - 10/15/05 01:57 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I have no opinion or comment on this topic except to say that straight men who play piano have a tactical advantage in attracting women than non piano playing men.

#499747 - 10/15/05 01:58 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:

Most scientific studies on the question tend to reinforce the idea that sexual preference is genetic: one is either gay, bisexual or heterosexual. One cannot be "made" gay, just as gay men and women cannot be "made" straight.

For every gay pianist you can name, I'm sure someone can come up with ten or more who are not, which is about the average.

I fail to see what sexual preference and playing the piano have to do with each other.
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#499748 - 10/15/05 02:00 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
jmusic_man Offline

Loc: London, Ontario
ummm... I don't believe that people 'turn gay' by touching piano keys... Perhaps homosexuals are more comfortable with expressing their sensitivity and artistry. You have to be very secure with yourself in order to 'offer yourself' to others through music; it's a very vulnerable position which most 'stereotypical macho males' wouldn't feel comfortable doing. They would rather keep their emotions to themself and watch the game on TV with a beer - cause, that's what 'real' guys do, right?

I'm in a faculty of music at a Canadian university and I can say that the majority of the faculty is very supportive of each other and their artistic endevours, reguardless of sexual orientation. People could care less, this simply isn't an issue. Perhaps this also has something to do with living in a fantastically liberal country that respects everyone's rights reguardless of ethnicity or sexual orientation.

#499749 - 10/15/05 02:08 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by fathertopianist:
I have no opinion or comment on this topic except to say that straight men who play piano have a tactical advantage in attracting women than non piano playing men. [/b]
...because sitting by yourself in a room all day works wonders for your social skills. \:D

#499750 - 10/15/05 02:10 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
jmusic_man Offline

Loc: London, Ontario
haha... :-) that's great...

#499751 - 10/15/05 02:12 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The arts community is generally more accepting of homosexuality than other fields.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically more or less "gay" about musicians, but I do think the field tends to attract a higher percentage of openly gay individuals.

For example, I know homosexual sales managers, travel agents, youth ministers, computer programmers, and, of course, pianists; but only the pianists are openly gay - the rest have had to hide it from their colleagues. (And they're usually frustrated by that and have to look outside their career communities for social support. Many of them find that support in the arts communities.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#499752 - 10/15/05 02:30 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ignorant kid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
 Quote:
I have no opinion or comment on this topic except to say that straight men who play piano have a tactical advantage in attracting women than non piano playing men. [/b]
...because sitting by yourself in a room all day works wonders for your social skills. \:D [/b]
That sounds really funny, but it's painfully true.

#499753 - 10/15/05 03:45 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
So true - - My 81 year old mother ocassionally mentions an old boy friend (one of many since she was a real "Belle.") The first thing she always says about him was "He played the piano."[/b] The second thing was, "He was Italian." The third was "He was a pilot." This paragon went missing in WWII. She married my Dad, who is Irish, was the gunner and flight engineer, and plays nothing but practical jokes, but does like cats.

#499754 - 10/15/05 04:11 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
TheAsianPianist Offline

Loc: Michigan
I also understand why people would say that. As most people have said, people who play piano don't turn gay because of piano, but perhaps gain a different awareness of their surroundings.

Music has made me a calmer person, and although I'm not gay I feel that I can be more open to anyone who is musical, whether or not they are gay.

As for the comment about attracting girls, it works :p

#499755 - 10/15/05 04:11 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
The arts community is generally more accepting of homosexuality than other fields.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically more or less "gay" about musicians, but I do think the field tends to attract a higher percentage of openly gay individuals.

For example, I know homosexual sales managers, travel agents, youth ministers, computer programmers, and, of course, pianists; but only the pianists are openly gay - the rest have had to hide it from their colleagues. (And they're usually frustrated by that and have to look outside their career communities for social support. Many of them find that support in the arts communities.) [/b]
An example from the past, the Marquis de Custine, a very kind and sensitive individual, was a friend of Chopin and Delacroix and their circle, precisely because the "artists" of Paris accepted him whereas his own social class did not. He had lived as a straight man with a wife, whom he loved, until she died suddenly, I think in childbirth, when Custine was in his 30's. After that he came about half way out of the closet, supposedly propositioned an army officer, and got stripped, beaten up and left for dead beside the road by the officer and some of his buddies. (Sound familiar?) It became the talk of Paris. After that he was all the way "out" and never tried to go back in. Eventually, he was lucky enough to find a permanent partner, an Englishman named Edward with whom he lived for thirty years. Custine became famous for a book of thoughtful and perceptive travel "letters" he wrote from Russia. Custine also wrote a very perceptive letter to Chopin after Chopin's "secret" engagement fell apart, and Chopin quietly fell apart along with it, very delicately offering to lend him a place to stay, or money to go to a spa, in order to deal with his "spiritual" trouble and recover his health. Chopin didn't take him up on it but was touched by his kindness enough to keep the letter. Later Chopin and Delacoix and a couple of other friends did spend a week with him and had a blast playing everything from pool to the piano in the evenings and riding donkeys by day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_de_Custine

#499756 - 10/15/05 08:19 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
Gay pianists? What will they think of next. But if gay men are drawn to the arts, the composers should be even gayer, shouldn't they? We all know that Tchaykowsky was a friend of Dorohty's, but who else? Rumors are that Beethoven and Chopin were gay, and someone also mentioned Grieg one time. Whaddaya think?
(By the way, the info-mobile for gay lifestyles will be in your neighborhood tommorrow morning. It is easily identified by its license plates that read: RU12) \:D

#499757 - 10/15/05 08:24 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Stormcrow Offline

Always always always.

#499758 - 10/15/05 08:46 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Chopin wasn't gay. He definitely liked women. He might be been bisexual however, as he did appear to have been attracted to one of his male friends as a teenager. There is no indication that he ever experimented. ( He was a good Catholic boy after all. Maybe today who knows?) There is evidence of heterosexual sexual experience, and even of frustration in the case of George Sand. She used the excuse that he was too frail to engage in sex to cut him off when she got tired of him, long before he was willing to concede the same thing.

#499759 - 10/15/05 08:51 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
newport Offline

I always wonder what George Sand really looked like? Was she feminine at all, and what made Chopin "fell in love" with her?

Also what happened to the pianist who had a sex change (from male to female)? (I read about it several years ago in New York Times Magazine.)

#499760 - 10/15/05 08:56 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newport:
I always wonder what George Sand really looked like? Was she feminine at all?
[/b]
She wore men's clothing and smoked cigars.

#499761 - 10/15/05 09:34 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

She was short and plump, not beautiful but attractive enough with beautiful black hair and eyes. (Chopin must've been attracted to
brunettes as his once upon a time fiancee had been part Italian and had the same coloring.) Despite her ocassional sartorial eccentricities she was demure in manner and had a soft voice. She definitely showed her feminine side to Chopin. He actually bought cloth for her dresses. He never called her George, but always "Aurora," his version of her given name Aurore, or translated "Dawn" into Polish and called her that. Liszt who knew them both well, wrote that
the thing that bonded them, and ultimately led to their rupture was the fact that (and I paraphrase, Lizst was much more florid) "that Chopin idealized her, and she idealized herself."
Sand herself once said that "what lies between a man and a woman is known only to they themselves." That was said earlier in reference to her affair with Musset but could apply to that with Chopin as well. What drew them together is obscured by the smoke screen George threw up after the break up when everyone was feeling sorry for Chopin and George was trying desperately to put herself in the right. What I do know is that they were both extremely intelligent, and both had a good sense of humor, probably similar. She was quite musical herself and probably a more thoughtful and appreciative critic of his music than most of the nonprofessionals he associated with. He was frail and in need of care, she was strong and in need of someone to care for. It was a case of opposites attracting and finding enough likenesses to stay together for ten years. She liked him well enough to keep him around even after she had tired of him as a lover. He loved her enough to stay around on any terms she might dictate.

#499762 - 10/15/05 10:11 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
newport Offline

If I live in that age and time, maybe I can also convince myself that I "fell in love" with George Sand :-) ...

#499763 - 10/15/05 10:17 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ignorant kid Offline

I'm hearin about all these gay pianists...where are all the lesbians???

#499764 - 10/15/05 10:36 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
John Delmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Oh my God! Perhaps starting to play the piano in third grade turned me gay! Maybe I should sue Steinway! Anybody know a good lawyer?
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?

#499765 - 10/15/05 11:42 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
BassoonyPianoKevn Offline

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Delmore:
Oh my God! Perhaps starting to play the piano in third grade turned me gay! Maybe I should sue Steinway! Anybody know a good lawyer? [/b]
Ha. Your sounding like the overweight people who sued the fast food chains for making them fat because they decided to eat there.

#499766 - 10/15/05 11:50 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
 Quote:
I'm hearin about all these gay pianists...where are all the lesbians??? [/b]
what is it with guys and lesbians? i'm sure there were/are some lesbian pianists out there.

#499767 - 10/15/05 11:53 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
lol
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Delmore:
Oh my God! Perhaps starting to play the piano in third grade turned me gay! Maybe I should sue Steinway! Anybody know a good lawyer? [/b]
ah, yes. The American answer to everything... :rolleyes: :p

#499768 - 10/16/05 12:58 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
To a large extent, this is a cultural problem ("problem" in the intellectual sense, of "something to puzzle out or solve.") Western males, or more particularly Americans, tend to be less concerned with the arts and less aesthetically sensitive than others. Educated Japanese males, for instance, are far more sensitive to aesthetic qualities in their music, graphic arts, pottery, etc., things many American males would not admit to responding to, even if they might want to.

Example: I'm a pathologist. My cousin Juel* asked me once, "When you're cutting up a brain, do you ever wonder about all the thoughts it had, the feelings it experienced?" "Nope."

But then I thought to myself, "Of course you do, you just don't talk about it." I suppose one might regard this is some kind of cultural straitjacket. I'd respond to that with, "And what good would talking about it do?"

*World-renowned author of numerous cookbooks on tofu, tempeh, carob, seaweed, and other minimally edible foodstuffs.

#499769 - 10/16/05 05:26 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Example: I'm a pathologist. My cousin Juel* asked me once, "When you're cutting up a brain, do you ever wonder about all the thoughts it had, the feelings it experienced?" "Nope."

But then I thought to myself, "Of course you do, you just don't talk about it." I suppose one might regard this is some kind of cultural straitjacket. I'd respond to that with, "And what good would talking about it do?"
So my brooding, taciturn black Irish Dad, the one time gunner, stevedore, land surveyor, and engineer grows more than fifty varieties of camillias even though he is color blind, just because he likes the shapes.

I've been around plenty of pathologists when they were grossing. The female one ARE far more likely to talk about the thoughts of a brain than the male ones. The male ones are more likely to joke.

#499770 - 10/16/05 12:19 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I think that artists and musicians care more about their art then they do someones sexual preference. The fine arts and music are very emotional, and take much of someone's soul to bring out. Therefore, there is more focus on the beauty of the arts rather than the other aspects of life.

The reason why I say this is that both of my parents went to art school, and a number of their friends are openly gay. They are accepted as friends just like other so-called straight people.

I was brought up to accept them as people, and what they can do as artists, rather than whom they sleep with.

To sum it up, who cares.

John

#499771 - 10/16/05 02:02 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Citron:

To sum it up, who cares.

[/b]
So true. As good old Rhett Butler said before most of you were born: "Frankly, my dear,........

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 31 invisible), 1260 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission