Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#499862 - 10/27/05 10:16 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MMSGA:
 Quote:
Originally posted by kesterlucille:
Ok, so if there is a connection between circumcision and being gay, how do women become lesbians??

Are we concluding in this discussion that lesbians are not musical? I think that's rather offensive to lesbians! [/b]
Female circumcision, by logical extension. I'll ask my sister. She's so butch she makes John Wayne look positively flaming \:\) [/b]
Yes, females can be circumcised:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c...ion&btnG=Search

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#499863 - 10/27/05 10:19 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Did that say, "Exorcism of the Clitoris?"

#499864 - 10/27/05 10:21 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Did that say, "Exorcism of the Clitoris?" [/b]
Only if the operation was performed on a witch.

"Excision" is the right term, I believe. ;\)

#499865 - 10/27/05 10:22 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by lemoncoke:
http://www.league-ncr.com/library/history/heritage2.html

I found this link accidentally.........but I still can't believe Chopin is gay..... [/b]
Who said Chopin was gay? He may have gone through a certain amount of adolescent sexual ambivalence, but as an adult he liked women quite a lot. He had a 10 year relation with a woman. She went by the pen name of "George Sand," but she was definitely female, real name "Aurore Dupin."

#499866 - 10/27/05 10:24 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

On his way from Poland to France, when he was 20, Chopin stopped along the way to do business with a young girl named Theresa: he gave her money, and she gave him syphilis. What a deal.

#499867 - 10/27/05 10:25 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
MMSGA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
 Quote:

I found this link accidentally.........but I still can't believe Chopin is gay..... [/b]
Who aid Chopin was gay? He may have gone through a certain amount of adolescent sexual ambivalence, but as an adult he liked women quite a lot. He had a 10 year relation with a woman. She went by the pen name of "George Sand," but she was definitely female, real name "Aurore Dupin." [/b]
Devil's Advocate...

George Sand dressed like a man, and liked to behave in a masculine manner. Is it possible that Chopin was unconsciously attracted to this? He is then dating a biological woman, but intellectually atracted to her masculinity. Best of both world's, one could argue..

#499868 - 10/27/05 10:31 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
On his way from Poland to France, when he was 20, Chopin stopped along the way to do business with a young girl named Theresa: he gave her money, and she gave him syphilis. What a deal. [/b]
It is unlikely that it was syphillis, it was probably gonnorhea. Syphillis manifests itself symptomatically later and is much more serious. In Chopin's time it would eventually kill you after driving you insane. Gonnorhea (for a guy) is more of a nuisance
ailment, manifests itself quickly and was self limiting even in the 19th century. It is more serious in women and can cause "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease" (PID) which is what almost killed Josephine Baker.

#499869 - 10/27/05 10:32 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
PianoJohn Offline

weird-a*ss thread all the way through

#499870 - 10/27/05 10:33 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
On his way from Poland to France, when he was 20, Chopin stopped along the way to do business with a young girl named Theresa: he gave her money, and she gave him syphilis. What a deal. [/b]
It is unlikely that it was syphillis, it was probably gonnorhea.[/b]
At least she didn't give him diarrhea.

(Strange thread, indeed! :p )

#499871 - 10/27/05 10:36 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
It is unlikely that it was syphillis, it was probably gonnorhea.[/b]

He got that on Majorca. :p
(Strange thread, indeed! :p ) [/b]

#499872 - 10/27/05 10:38 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

That's too bad. Diarrhea's a pain in the butt.

#499873 - 10/27/05 10:44 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

Who aid Chopin was gay? He may have gone through a certain amount of adolescent sexual ambivalence, but as an adult he liked women quite a lot. He had a 10 year relation with a woman. She went by the pen name of "George Sand," but she was definitely female, real name "Aurore Dupin." [/b]
Devil's Advocate...

George Sand dressed like a man, and liked to behave in a masculine manner. Is it possible that Chopin was unconsciously attracted to this? He is then dating a biological woman, but intellectually atracted to her masculinity. Best of both world's, one could argue.. [/b]
They certainly complemented each other. George Sand dressed in women's clothing when she wanted to be athletic (she was an excellent horsewoman)or make a statement. She had been half raised by an eccentric tutor who treated her and her half-brother exactly alike. He treated them both like boys. The undeniable reality of her femininity once she reached puberty must've been very irksome to her. In spite of the fact that she dressed in masculine clothing and smoked cigars (aspects of her behavior Chopin found irritating) she was a well bred French aristocrat, and in manner she was said to be very quiet, soft voiced, lady like and demure. She was also petite and plump and very maternal. She definitely had her feminine side. As for her "masculine" side, Chopin admired her intellect and her sense of humor. He liked her strength, competence, strong will and directness of purpose as well since it was such a contrast to his own physical frailty, emotion lability and ambivalence.

#499874 - 10/27/05 10:58 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
That's too bad. Diarrhea's a pain in the butt. [/b]
Rancid olive oil and pig fat -- yuck!

#499875 - 10/27/05 11:26 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
 Quote:
Devil's Advocate...

George Sand dressed like a man, and liked to behave in a masculine manner. Is it possible that Chopin was unconsciously attracted to this? He is then dating a biological woman, but intellectually atracted to her masculinity. Best of both world's, one could argue.. [/b]
I never agreed with the logic of that perspective (which I've heard elsewhere too). I've known plenty of gay men, and never have I found them expressing attraction to masculine women (ie, butch lesbians). Quite the opposite, they often date feminine men, and ogle masculine men. And as a straight male, I dont find myself being lured toward feminine men with womanly qualities. Quite the opposite, I find that quite the turn off all the way around.

From my chair, the 'gender bender' or 'gray area' community does not offer the best of both worlds, but fails to offer the essence of either. They offer a unique blend thats different and niche. just IMO.

And please no one be offended by that. I'm not saying anything is wrong with anyone, or anyone is less than or greater than anyone else.

And I do recognize that perhaps others DO find such individuals to offer the best of both worlds. It just doesnt strike me that way tho.

#499876 - 10/27/05 11:48 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
MMSGA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
 Quote:
Devil's Advocate...

I never agreed with the logic of that perspective (which I've heard elsewhere too). I've known plenty of gay men, and never have I found them expressing attraction to masculine women (ie, butch lesbians). Quite the opposite, they often date feminine men, and ogle masculine men. And as a straight male, I dont find myself being lured toward feminine men with womanly qualities. Quite the opposite, I find that quite the turn off all the way around.

From my chair, the 'gender bender' or 'gray area' community does not offer the best of both worlds, but fails to offer the essence of either. They offer a unique blend thats different and niche. just IMO.

And please no one be offended by that. I'm not saying anything is wrong with anyone, or anyone is less than or greater than anyone else.

And I do recognize that perhaps others DO find such individuals to offer the best of both worlds. It just doesnt strike me that way tho. [/b]
Yes, I agree with your reasoning. I was being 'logical'..

However, societal pressures at Chopin's times were different to now, so I was trying to remove current sociology.
Ultimately, I sense that you are, in the majority, correct...

A gay friend of mine once said that he wants a man, and not a man being a girl. If he wanted a girl, he'd get the real thing...

Also, I think the essence of this thread is based on the sterotypical nonsense of gay guys being 'artsy' and 'emotional', whereas straight guys don't react to their own...

A doomed thread from the beginning... \:\)

#499877 - 10/28/05 12:13 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
 Quote:
[/qb]

Hmmmm, die-aria, isn't that the last aria the soprano sings before she dies?

#499878 - 10/28/05 03:19 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

"Hmm...was it fatal?"
"Yes."
"How fatal?"
"Completely..."
"Ah!"

;\)

#499879 - 10/28/05 03:58 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
"Hmm...was it fatal?"
"Yes."
"How fatal?"
"Completely..."
"Ah!"

;\) [/b]
Lawyer to pathologist:
"How many autopsies have you performed on dead people?"
Pathologist to lawyer:
"All my autopsies are on dead people.

#499880 - 10/28/05 04:00 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]A gay friend of mine once said that he wants a man, and not a man being a girl. If he wanted a girl, he'd get the real thing...{/QUOTE]

My gay friends say exactly the same.

#499881 - 10/28/05 05:19 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
A gay friend of mine once said that he wants a man, and not a man being a girl. If he wanted a girl, he'd get the real thing...
That's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard, and quite ironic, depending on how you look at it. ;\)

#499882 - 10/28/05 09:16 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I think an important point to consider is that George Sands was a Dyke. This is explains her male pseudonym and her habit of dressing in male attire towards the end of her peculiar life. Chopin's desire was sublimated into the great music he produced as you all should know from your Freud. Now consider this one: Chopin was weak, foppish and effeminate in manner but George Sands was strong, independant, terse and masculine by contrast. What are we to make of that one?

#499883 - 10/28/05 10:17 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
[QUOTE]A gay friend of mine once said that he wants a man, and not a man being a girl. If he wanted a girl, he'd get the real thing...{/QUOTE]

My gay friends say exactly the same. [/b]
Right, and I've heard it too. But usually, gay guys that act like girls pair with other gay guys that act like girls. They still ogle the fitness magazine cover model guys, but date the fems. I think one needs to identify with who one connects with, be able to see yourself in that person.

That being said, I remember once in Hollywood, I saw a lesbian couple walking down the street. One was an enormous, butch, biker, manly lez, would make Rosie O'Donnel feminine by comparison. And on her arm was a hot chick worthy of a playboy centerfold. ?!?!!? Couldn't help thinking 'wuzzup with that?' I mean we all understand the butch chicks motivation, but what is the hot chick thinking? Not to sound superficial, like its all about looks, its not. these two had entirely contrasting identifications.

Things like that make me officially admit I dont understand anything.

#499884 - 10/28/05 02:02 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Theodore Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
This thread could serve as an FBI profiler's roster under, "piano playing perverts."

#499885 - 10/28/05 02:30 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theodore:
This thread could serve as an FBI profiler's roster under, "piano playing perverts." [/b]
I notice you made sure you got your name included. :rolleyes:

#499886 - 10/28/05 04:12 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Theodore Offline

I want to be in good company!

#499887 - 10/28/05 04:32 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
George Sand was a lesbian? If she was, why did she have so many male lovers? I thought "George Sand" was a pen-name, since society looked down on female authors, especially when they wrote about such racy topics ;\)

#499888 - 10/28/05 04:59 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
gordonf238 Offline

Loc: NYC
there is no documented affair between gould and a male partner/friend. a lack of intimate, on-the-record relationships with females does not automatically make one a homosexual.

#499889 - 10/28/05 05:46 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
I think an important point to consider is that George Sands was a Dyke. This is explains her male pseudonym and her habit of dressing in male attire towards the end of her peculiar life. Chopin's desire was sublimated into the great music he produced as you all should know from your Freud. Now consider this one: Chopin was weak, foppish and effeminate in manner but George Sands was strong, independant, terse and masculine by contrast. What are we to make of that one? [/b]
That she proposed to him? Or maybe he wore the dress? :p ;\)

#499890 - 10/28/05 05:53 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordonf238:
a lack of intimate...relationships with females does not automatically make one a homosexual. [/b]
not automatically, but over time it can wear you down. :p

#499891 - 10/29/05 01:21 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Theodore Offline

Sort of like prison adjustment.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, 46 invisible), 1640 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153579 Topics
2250834 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
23 minutes 29 seconds ago
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
Today at 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
Today at 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission