Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Albunea, Alan Tripp, 36251, ando, Amosdoll, AndyP, 15 invisible), 1094 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#499922 - 11/02/05 08:33 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Ronel Augustyn Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bloemfontein,SA
From a girl's point of view. Telling a girl your gay is the ULTIMATE WRONG pick-up line!!!

I mean, that scratches him off my list immediately. I don't know if I'd ever continue being "friends", coz I once had such a friend who just wanted to talk about all the guys he had the weekend.

Do you really think your girl-friend wants to hear about you fooling around with friggen MEN?

D, liked your joke about the shopping though!

Hi from South Africa

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#499923 - 11/02/05 08:39 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
 Quote:
Originally posted by LWpianistin:
"I have a friend who's convinced that telling a girl he's gay is the ultimate chat up line. "

haha. i think that's hilarious!...but is he serious when saying that? not that it would really make a difference.... [/b]
His plan is, somewhere down the line, to tell her that he's never felt like this about a woman before, and that being with her has turned him. Have to add that his last relationship ended up with some biblical rows. Actually so did the one before that. He tends to go through a lot of girlfriends \:\)

#499924 - 11/02/05 08:52 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Ronel Augustyn Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bloemfontein,SA
Precisely. :p :p

#499925 - 11/02/05 10:15 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Homophobia and a sense of humour failure. Hmmm....

#499926 - 11/02/05 10:24 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
 Quote:
Originally posted by Diarmuid2:
His plan is, somewhere down the line, to tell her that he's never felt like this about a woman before, and that being with her has turned him. Have to add that his last relationship ended up with some biblical rows. Actually so did the one before that. He tends to go through a lot of girlfriends \:\) [/b]
:rolleyes:

No way, no how, no where, will any straight guy tell a girl (or any other guy for that matter) that he is gay. I dont care HOW secure he supposedly is with his masculinity, it just isnt something that a straight guy does. Uttering it pretty much ensures rumors will spread, and he will be known as the gay guy, to many.

What, he thinks the rest of the people in his life will know he's straight, but this one girl (or these several girls he's used the line on) will remain hermetically separated from the rest of the world so the perceived orientations never get mixed?

Any guy running around telling girls he's gay has a little more going on with that issue below the surface. Kinda like those guys i've known who go to gay bars because its "easier to pick up women there since they're off guard". :rolleyes:

#499927 - 11/02/05 10:52 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can assure you he has no issues, and no intention of having anything other than a one night stand. He thinks it's a good hook. And London is far too big a place for the odd girl he meets in a bar to end up bumping into his circle of friends.

#499928 - 11/02/05 10:57 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Your friend is nuts. Even if I WERE looking for a one night stand (which, let me hasten to add, I am not), the last person I would hook up with is somebody who admits to having a lifestyle placing him at high risk of AIDS.

Tell your friend a MUCH more effective line is the ol' "my heart was broken two years ago and you're the first woman I've met who has given me hope that one day I might be able to love again." This works even better if said with a soulful expression on the face and, dare I say it, a welling or two of tears in the corner of the eye.

#499929 - 11/02/05 11:10 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I can assure you he has no issues, and no intension of having anything other than a one night stand. He thinks it's a good hook. And London is far too big a place for the odd girl he meets in a bar to end up bumping into his circle of friends. [/b]
Well, ok, I guess I could see that, but thats not the scenario presented. You said its a longer term plan where he'll eventually tell the girl he's never felt this way about a girl before.

Quote:

His plan is, somewhere down the line, to tell her that he's never felt like this about a woman before, and that being with her has turned him.[/b]
You mean he goes through this whole metamorphisis all in one conversation at a bar? I was under the impression it was a longer term plan. That after knowing her for a few days/weeks he pretends to change teams. Also since you said he goes thru a lot of girlfriends, I assumed you meant girls he met this way, which wouldnt be one night stands. I guess I misunderstood.

If its all a one time ploy that is delivered across a few minutes in a bar, well, thats different. But how lame!!! LOL. But I suppose we'll say anything to a girl to score.

#499930 - 11/02/05 11:12 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Tell your friend a MUCH more effective line is the ol' "my heart was broken two years ago and you're the first woman I've met who has given me hope that one day I might be able to love again." This works even better if said with a soulful expression on the face and, dare I say it, a welling or two of tears in the corner of the eye. [/b]
LOL, but when just meeting in a bar for a one night stand? If a guy said that with a tear, I think he'd look like a needy mess bordering on psycho. LOL. ah what a tangled web we weave... \:\)

#499931 - 11/02/05 11:22 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Theodore Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
IT's dishonest and one these days your old friend is going end up dealing with an angry bull fag that may beat him into submission. He sounds like an idiot.

#499932 - 11/02/05 11:32 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
If its all a one time ploy that is delivered across a few minutes in a bar, well, thats different. But how lame!!! LOL. But I suppose we'll say anything to a girl to score. [/QB]
Yeah it's a course of the evening ploy, so over a few hours and many drinks hehe.

#499933 - 11/02/05 11:33 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theodore:
IT's dishonest and one these days your old friend is going end up dealing with an angry bull fag that may beat him into submission. He sounds like an idiot. [/b]
Well he's a lot of fun! And his relationships would make for a pretty action packed mini series I can tell you \:\)

#499934 - 11/02/05 11:43 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
Tell your friend a MUCH more effective line is the ol' "my heart was broken two years ago and you're the first woman I've met who has given me hope that one day I might be able to love again." This works even better if said with a soulful expression on the face and, dare I say it, a welling or two of tears in the corner of the eye. [/b]
LOL, but when just meeting in a bar for a one night stand? If a guy said that with a tear, I think he'd look like a needy mess bordering on psycho. LOL. ah what a tangled web we weave... \:\) [/b]
It's the WELLING of a tear in the corner of the eye (only) that is critical. Having the tear escape the eye and roll down the cheek will backfire, as you suggest, because it makes him look like "a needy mess." But a watery eye merely makes him look vulnerable and arouses maternal instincts. \:D

#499935 - 11/02/05 11:52 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
LOL, but when just meeting in a bar for a one night stand? If a guy said that with a tear, I think he'd look like a needy mess bordering on psycho. LOL. ah what a tangled web we weave... \:\) [/b]
It's the WELLING of a tear in the corner of the eye (only) that is critical. Having the tear escape the eye and roll down the cheek will backfire, as you suggest, because it makes him look like "a needy mess." But a watery eye merely makes him look vulnerable and arouses maternal instincts. \:D [/b]
Well, ok, I know we're just having fun here, but still, just delivering the line itself, the mention of the word 'love' in an introductory bar conversation....ida know....sounds suspect. I mean if she uses that word in any context with me DURING the one night stand, red light and sirens start going off.

I mean in your scenario, 'love' is being suggested before any opportunity to know the person. Thats psycho. hehe. But thats just me. Maybe its different from the womans perspective. Seriously, if a guy met you in a bar, and while you're there chatting over drinks, and he delivered that line to you, that after two years of a broken heart, he thinks you might let him love again, that wouldnt send you running screaming? You wouldnt see that as too fast and needy?

#499936 - 11/02/05 12:19 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
I mean in your scenario, 'love' is being suggested before any opportunity to know the person. Thats psycho. hehe. But thats just me. Maybe its different from the womans perspective. Seriously, if a guy met you in a bar, and while you're there chatting over drinks, and he delivered that line to you, that after two years of a broken heart, he thinks you might let him love again, that wouldnt send you running screaming? You wouldnt see that as too fast and needy? [/b]
I've been (thankfully) removed from the bar pickup scene for well over a decade now, so I'm probably a bad person to ask. I was assuming that this conversation would take place AFTER a couple of hours and a few drinks (is that too much of an investment to ask for a hookup?), which would make it a little more plausible. And note that in my carefully crafted script, the guy doesn't claim to already love the woman; he just says she is giving him hope that he might one day be able to love again. That keeps the woman from thinking he's a psycho stalker while also feeding into her irrational and (usually) erroneous dream that she might in fact discover true love in a singles bar. Sigh.

#499937 - 11/02/05 12:20 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
Pheeooooowww,I get tired just reading about all this nonsense. Thank God I am living in sin and don't have to go through all this to get a date anymore.

#499938 - 11/02/05 12:27 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monica: Well, YOU'RE the shrink, so I'll defer to your analysis of the psycho dynamics. \:\)

ChatNoir: Dont get too comfy, we've ALL been in domestic relationships, and yet here we are again. With divorce rate ca. 50% and all....maybe you should be taking mental notes for future reference. (just in case )

#499939 - 11/02/05 12:33 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This relationship is anything but domestic! It's WILD! \:D

#499940 - 11/02/05 12:44 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theodore:
your old friend is going end up dealing with an angry bull fag [/b]
Well, that's not a statement you read every day.

#499941 - 11/02/05 05:40 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Okay, we've started to get reports about this thread. I'm not closing it (yet); please be considerate to other forum members.

#499942 - 11/02/05 06:07 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Eagle Offline

Loc: Chicago
Why is someone "suspected" of being gay. The use of language tells us a lot about our attitudes.

To test your judgments, use the word "straight" instead and see if it sounds absurd or not" " I suspect he might be straight"

Yes and maybe this thread should be closed

#499943 - 11/02/05 06:31 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
It is absurd, and it annoys me to no end when, for example, I say to someone " Do you remember that guy, Paul?" and they respond with "Oh, the gay one?" AARRRRGGGHHH!!! sooo unnecessary. JohnA, why should this thread be closed?

#499944 - 11/02/05 06:38 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LWpianistin:
It is absurd, and it annoys me to no end when, for example, I say to someone " Do you remember that guy, Paul?" and they respond with "Oh, the gay one?" AARRRRGGGHHH!!! sooo unnecessary.[/b]
Well, I suppose that makes things easier sometimes if he's the only gay person in the group.

About a week ago, I was talking with someone in one of my classes and mentioned that there are three Adam's and two Sam's in our class (which is interesting because there are only about 15 people in our class). She responded with something like, "Oh there's another Sam in our class? Who is he?" So I said, "Yes, he's the Asian one." Of course, then she knew exactly who I was talking about, because there's only one Asian guy in our class.

It's not a derogatory statement by any means - just a way of pointing someone out in a group. Like if there was a group of 9 boys and 1 girl, and someone were to say "Who's Jordan?" and someone else were to say, "She's the girl."

#499945 - 11/02/05 07:51 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
Okay, we've started to get reports about this thread. I'm not closing it (yet); please be considerate to other forum members. [/b]
Sorry \:D sort of got drawn into it. I'll refrain from the more adult details in future.

#499946 - 11/03/05 12:36 AM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
well, yes, i suppose i do see that it's not derogatory, but it still annoys me. If "Paul" was the only one in the group with glasses, but everyone knew he was gay, I'll bet they would still say "the gay one" and not "the one with the glasses" and it's because our society in general makes a big deal about sexuality, when there is no need to.

#499947 - 11/03/05 12:29 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
nickd Offline

Loc: France
I've just read this thread from beginning to end... and I'm still not sure if Yamaha produce different pianos for the US. Have I missed something?

nick

#499948 - 11/03/05 03:01 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickd:
I've just read this thread from beginning to end... and I'm still not sure if Yamaha produce different pianos for the US. Have I missed something?

nick [/b]
I think one of us is reading the wrong post.

#499949 - 11/03/05 03:59 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I will repeat what I said before. WHO CARES!

They are pianists just like the rest of us. Think of them as great people and what they have to offer. If they don't mention their partner preferences, it isn't necessary to make that the topic.

I'm not offended by this often silly topic, it's just I was brought up to accept everyone for what good qualities they offer.

John

#499950 - 09/26/07 10:27 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Benn Offline

Loc: Battle Creek, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Drake:
I've heard that Vladimir Horowitz commented that there were three kinds of pianists: Jewish, homosexual, and bad. [/b]
Let's hope that that's not true, or I have no hope. Right now I would classify myself as a bad pianist, but I hope to overcome that. When I do I don't think I will fit into Vladimir's categories. I no interest in being with another man and although the Jewish culture intrigues me, I don't see myself as turning Jewish. Does this mean I'm doomed to being a bad pianist?

The Financial Reader: http://thefinancialreader.com

#499951 - 09/26/07 11:15 PM Re: It is said that musicians, specially pianists, who are male are suspected to be gays.
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you read it on the Internet, then it must be true (which means, so am I). ;-p

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rehanging hammers
by rysowers
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
Yamaha CP4 Best Buy!!!
by tnsettlemo
Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Grand Piano House name change
by newgeneration
Yesterday at 08:59 PM
Exercises for syncopation
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Valentina Lisitsa--web site
by Bech
Yesterday at 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,055 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,573 Topics
2,400,153 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission