2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
If I live in that age and time, maybe I can also convince myself that I "fell in love" with George Sand :-) ...

I
I
I'm hearin about all these gay pianists...where are all the lesbians???

-Carl
J
J
Oh my God! Perhaps starting to play the piano in third grade turned me gay! Maybe I should sue Steinway! Anybody know a good lawyer?

John Delmore
PTG Associate Member
"You don't have a Soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body."...C.S. Lewis
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?
Originally posted by John Delmore:
Oh my God! Perhaps starting to play the piano in third grade turned me gay! Maybe I should sue Steinway! Anybody know a good lawyer?
Ha. Your sounding like the overweight people who sued the fast food chains for making them fat because they decided to eat there.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ignorant kid:
I'm hearin about all these gay pianists...where are all the lesbians???
what is it with guys and lesbians? i'm sure there were/are some lesbian pianists out there.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
lol
Originally posted by John Delmore:
ah, yes. The American answer to everything... :rolleyes: :p

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To a large extent, this is a cultural problem ("problem" in the intellectual sense, of "something to puzzle out or solve.") Western males, or more particularly Americans, tend to be less concerned with the arts and less aesthetically sensitive than others. Educated Japanese males, for instance, are far more sensitive to aesthetic qualities in their music, graphic arts, pottery, etc., things many American males would not admit to responding to, even if they might want to.

Example: I'm a pathologist. My cousin Juel* asked me once, "When you're cutting up a brain, do you ever wonder about all the thoughts it had, the feelings it experienced?" "Nope."

But then I thought to myself, "Of course you do, you just don't talk about it." I suppose one might regard this is some kind of cultural straitjacket. I'd respond to that with, "And what good would talking about it do?"

*World-renowned author of numerous cookbooks on tofu, tempeh, carob, seaweed, and other minimally edible foodstuffs.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Example: I'm a pathologist. My cousin Juel* asked me once, "When you're cutting up a brain, do you ever wonder about all the thoughts it had, the feelings it experienced?" "Nope."

But then I thought to myself, "Of course you do, you just don't talk about it." I suppose one might regard this is some kind of cultural straitjacket. I'd respond to that with, "And what good would talking about it do?"
So my brooding, taciturn black Irish Dad, the one time gunner, stevedore, land surveyor, and engineer grows more than fifty varieties of camillias even though he is color blind, just because he likes the shapes.

I've been around plenty of pathologists when they were grossing. The female one ARE far more likely to talk about the thoughts of a brain than the male ones. The male ones are more likely to joke.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I think that artists and musicians care more about their art then they do someones sexual preference. The fine arts and music are very emotional, and take much of someone's soul to bring out. Therefore, there is more focus on the beauty of the arts rather than the other aspects of life.

The reason why I say this is that both of my parents went to art school, and a number of their friends are openly gay. They are accepted as friends just like other so-called straight people.

I was brought up to accept them as people, and what they can do as artists, rather than whom they sleep with.

To sum it up, who cares.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Citron:

To sum it up, who cares.

So true. As good old Rhett Butler said before most of you were born: "Frankly, my dear,........

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
well said. i don't care, but i'm sure there are a lot of gay construction workers. just saying that not all gays are "feminine" and "artsy". my cousin's a butcher, and his partner was in the marines until his commanding officer found out he was gay. they feared for his safety, so he left the job he loved because people only saw him as gay. they didn't see him as a man who had gone to Iraq, willing to sacrifice his life for his country. his "commrades" only saw him as a threat. when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter who one sleeps with.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
So this is why I've been feeling all gay lately. I thought I was absorbing it from Burger King commercials.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"musicians who are male"?? Does this include rock, blues, and jazz musicians too?

wow, sex with all those hot groupie girls must sure be a tiring front to keep up.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I go to a performing arts high school and we have so many gay people that you would not believe it...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LWpianistin:
when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter who one sleeps with.
it shouldn't matter, but I believe it does matter to all too many people. And for a variety of dubious reasons.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
M
M
Originally posted by Darn Pianist:
Gays or bisexuals or whatever... in short, they have a different degree in gender issues...I've already proven this myself... in my conservatory, those you suspect to be such are most probably correct...

Well, are there any gays and bisexuals out here?
I was wondering if you were hoping to hook up with people on here? smile Are you 'gay', 'bi', 'straight'?...

Ironically, as I type this, the radio is playing 'YMCA'... ha ha

I know of one guitar teacher at a prestigious NYC school who is a sister of Dorothy. She's very well known in the guitar world.. smile

A lot of pianists I've met have been gay, but as most have said here, it isn't an issue. It would be a HUGE problem in my field, (Finance), but 'the arts' embraces it wholeheartedly...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I often wonder how many people have libraries of books lining their walls with opinions on all, but having never opened nor read any, basing their opinions on the cover of each.

Coincidentally, I think it is precisely because there is a larger density of gay/bi-sexualism in the 'arts' fields that results in a greater acceptance of such a disposition (being neither right nor wrong, good nor evil), whereas the same cannot be said of most other fields. It would make for an interesting study, but I'm not sure how much conclusive evidence one could unearth.

And I had to laugh at this observation:
:p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
M
Originally posted by Derulux:
I often wonder how many people have libraries of books lining their walls with opinions on all, but having never opened nor read any, basing their opinions on the cover of each.

Coincidentally, I think it is precisely because there is a larger density of gay/bi-sexualism in the 'arts' fields that results in a greater acceptance of such a disposition (being neither right nor wrong, good nor evil), whereas the same cannot be said of most other fields. It would make for an interesting study, but I'm not sure how much conclusive evidence one could unearth.

And I had to laugh at this observation:
:p wink
I TOTALLY agree - book covers are SO misleading.

A study would be interesting, but it would be fraught in difficulties. It would be a variation on the, 'did having gay parents/siblings make me gay?' etc etc ...

Did anyone brought up the horowitz quote yet?
Something like all great pianists are either jewish or gay. All of the heteros better start convertin. (or become gay)

sweet, sweet harmony
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am and I'm quite sure it wasn't the piano that caused it.

I'm in the prepress business and there have always been a number of openly gay people where I work (graphic designers, typesetters, etc.).

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission