2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by boomerpizza:
Did anyone brought up the horowitz quote yet?
Something like all great pianists are either jewish or gay. All of the heteros better start convertin. (or become gay)
"There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists."

(Horowitz was two of the three.)

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know it probobly must seem that many gay people play the piano, but I'm not gay and I play the piano! I could name at least 20 other people I know who are definately not gay who play the piano. I truly only have met one or two gay pianists.... unless everyone isn't being truthful.....

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Originally posted by boomerpizza:
[b] Did anyone brought up the horowitz quote yet?
Something like all great pianists are either jewish or gay. All of the heteros better start convertin. (or become gay)
"There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists."

(Horowitz was two of the three.) [/b]
Where does LISZT fit into this picture?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
I could name at least 20 other people I know who are definately not gay who play the piano
My brother gave up piano lessons after about 5 weeks and he's gay. I still play now after 15 years or so and everyone thinks I'm gay. There's an irony in there somewhere I'm sure.

Oh, how come no-one mentioned the genius of Liberace in a gay pianist thread? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To reply to the whole LESBIAN question a few posts ago....

I think there's a LOT more gay pianists than lesbian pianists. In South Africa, I haven't met or heard of one lesbian pianist, but have had my share of gay pianists.

But I don't know whether there's any connection between the two, but personally, I really hope not, coz my future perfect husband must also be a pianist!

Hi from South Africa

lallie
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ronel Augustyn:

...but have had my share of gay pianists.

eek eek eek

P
P
I wouldn't say that a lot of classical pianists have a tendency to be gay. Disco pianists on the other hand...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
To reply to the whole LESBIAN question a few posts ago....

I think there's a LOT more gay pianists than lesbian pianists. In South Africa, I haven't met or heard of one lesbian pianist, but have had my share of gay pianists.

But I don't know whether there's any connection between the two, but personally, I really hope not, coz my future perfect husband must also be a pianist!

Hi from South Africa
Do you think that there are a lot more male pianists than female pianists in South Africa?

Sam
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
This thread is getting absurd, but you might find this interesting.

My work career has been varied, and outside of my interest in music. I've worked in factories, field service, computer rooms, etc., over the many years of employment. I noticed that as the education goes up, for the most part, the tolerance level of others goes up as well.

As a PC-board solderer, I worked with, well let's put it, a rough crowd. There was never any Classical music on the radio, and the biggest thing to do was to get drunk on Friday to Sunday.

To give you a picture of the environment, the women walked around with cigarette packs tucked under their sleeves, and had the butts stuck to their lower lip with an ash that was the length of the cigarette. The men wore overalls, and had tattoos up and down their arms, and mostly had a beer or more for lunch. The scary part is the women had deeper voices then the men in many cases.

Anyway, at one point, someone who knew I was studying music, asked me if all Classical composers were gay! Huh? What!!? I've never heard that before!

I probed deeper, and through the rather ignorant conversation with the and duffs like dat, and ya know dat duff. I got the impression that it's because the music sounds gay compared to rock music.

Hmmm... I though deeply before I spoke. I said that maybe some where gay, but not all of them. Bach had 8 children, Mozart had a family, Schubert died from syphillis caught on his birthday, and Robert Schumann married Clara Wiek. The other macho-man looked at me in amazement, and didn't say anything.

There was an openly gay man working there. He was picked on with some pretty low-life insults that would make anyone's stomach churn. He took it on the chin, and gave a few back. We used to talk at lunch, and one day my supervisor spoke with me because that gave people a bad impression about me. Now, granted this was twenty-five years ago, and today these types of actions wouldn't be tolerated in the workplace, including the discussion with my supervisor, but these thing happened did then and were taken for granted.

There were others there too that were suspected of being gay, and people would make comments even though these people claimed they weren't. These people acted so macho that it was sickening.

Now from the eyes of a casual observer, what does this prove? It proves that there maybe no more gay people in the performing and visual arts than in other occupations, it's just as we've said before that the people in the arts are more comfortable with themselves, and therefore, act like themselves rather than to hold everything in.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
One of my former piano teachers -- a woman and also a personal friend -- told me that during her four years at Juillard, she found it difficult to find other students there who were male and not gay. Probably she was referring mostly to pianists.

pianodevo
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Hey John,

Correction, Bach had 20 children,... the joke is because his organ didn't have any stops.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bruce said:
Most scientific studies on the question tend to reinforce the idea that sexual preference is genetic: one is either gay, bisexual or heterosexual. One cannot be "made" gay, just as gay men and women cannot be "made" straight.

For every gay pianist you can name, I'm sure someone can come up with ten or more who are not, which is about the average.

I fail to see what sexual preference and playing the piano have to do with each other.
While I neither agree nor disagree with your scientific study assertion (as I just don't know), it seems (if true) to subtly contradict your final statement don't you think? That is to say, your last statement implies that the fact of one's being gay brings no other genetic qualities along with it! It seems that if one were to truly believe that being gay is mostly genetic, then they would have to also believe that the same set of genes might produce a person who liked certain things (or does certain things) more than others might. So you're not allowing the piano-playing affinity quality (for lack of a better term) to be genetic (and related to an alleged gay gene). Surely if homosexuality is genetic, then it would show up in a variety of characteristics in a person. And perhaps it does. I was a little thrown by your logic there, so take this for whatever it's worth.

Rick

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are pianists who are female suspected to be lesbians too? I think they are! Did you also notice that most of these female pianists especially those playing in the chopin competition have no armpit hair too? So I think they must have been genetically modified.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
Hey John,

Correction, Bach had 20 children,... the joke is because his organ didn't have any stops.
Good one Steve! laugh

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
B
B
Originally posted by John Citron:
I think that artists and musicians care more about their art then they do someones sexual preference. The fine arts and music are very emotional, and take much of someone's soul to bring out. Therefore, there is more focus on the beauty of the arts rather than the other aspects of life.

The reason why I say this is that both of my parents went to art school, and a number of their friends are openly gay. They are accepted as friends just like other so-called straight people.

I was brought up to accept them as people, and what they can do as artists, rather than whom they sleep with.

To sum it up, who cares.

John
Well said sir. What you just said applys directly with the way I am. I am straight, but I'm constantly consumed by the music... not women.

B
B
not ALWAYS though... laugh

sometimes, a nice distraction is a GOOD thing.

B
B
I havn't found that there are an unusual amount of gay pianists, but I have found, at least at my school, that literally the majority of male tenor's are gay. I don't know if my university is just unusually gay, but 50%+ is definately a close aproximation.

Hi, folks. It's been a while, but I just had to post on this one. "Suspected to be gay" (subject-line)? Almost always, especially in school. I remember being suspected of being gay even before I realized I *was* gay. (Boy, was *that* disconcerting!) And I'm fairly certain that one is not "made" gay. But don't quote me. Anyway, I agree with John - fundamentally, it doesn't matter, at least not to anyone else but you and the person/persons with whom you are intimate. Let the others guess!

Ciao...

"Some people have a way with words; others... ... ... ...not...have way, I guess."
- Steve Martin
http://www.reverbnation.com/michaelsheppard
http://www.youtube.com/user/realpianistcomposer
There are 8 male piano majors in my university including me and 3 of them are definitely gay. A few guys I'm not too sure about.

I am 100% straight and have never been suspected of being gay. I'd have to say that a bigger percentage of voice majors are gay in my university than pianists. Come to think of it, almost all of the voice majors are homosexual in my school.

NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE HERE but I'm not one to hangout with homosexuals. My guy friends are and have always been attracted to girls. I guess you can say I'm homophobic.

But when it comes to playing the piano, I am not shy about expressing my feelings. Who cares what anybody thinks!

"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art."

-Chopin
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jpw101:
[b]
...but have had my share of gay pianists.

eek eek eek [/b]
Not in THAT way man, then they'd be BI-sexual not homosexual! But you know that story about gay guys having lots of girl-friends, well that's true, and I've been in that boat.

lallie
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission