2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally posted by sotto voce:
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
[b] I guess I'm a thread spoiler but I think Schumann is overrated....
It's funny how perceptions differ.

I really thought Schumann is rather underrated, and that that was the premise of this thread. His name looms large, sure, but it often seems as though his music is taken for granted with almost a shrug rather than praised with the passion it deserves IMNSHO.
[/b]
Agreed. Very underrated considering the very few works that most people have heard, maybe 1 symphony, the piano concerto, and a smattering of solo piano works?

Some of his music is the most inspired and sometimes heart-rending of any of the romantics. I consider him to be the original romantic, the others, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, are still very classical.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
I think a majority, myself included, would place Schumann in the top 10 composers of all time especially in a comparison of piano composers. I think the huge majority(90%+) of those familiar with most of his works and the major works of other composers would place him in the top 20.

I don't see why the term "underrated" would apply to him.
It's a matter of perspective and personal taste, I think.

Ranking someone in the Top 20 (or even Top 10) could be considered 'damning by faint praise' by someone who believes he merits a higher ranking.

FWIW, I have more Schumann in my sheet music collection than any other composer save for one (guess who? wink ), so you know he scores way higher than Top 10 with me!

Steven

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Iain:
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
Some works are of the absolute highest quality, while others are of little to no merit.
What works have no merit?
Yeah, which ones?

If the Lord suddenly descended onto Earth and said 'From now on, every time you program a Schumann symphony, it must instead be one by Beethoven, Mendelssohn or Brahms', I wouldn't feel any profound loss. But with the exception of the last mov't of the 1st, they all have some merit. wink

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Agreed. Very underrated considering the very few works that most people have heard, maybe 1 symphony, the piano concerto, and a smattering of solo piano works?
Depends what you mean by "most people". If you mean people with only a small knowledge/exposure to classical piano music than anything is possible. Those people would have a limited knowledge of any composer's works.

I think the Abegg Variations, Davidsbundler, Papillons, Toccata, 3 Sonatas, Kinderscenen, Carnival, Fantasy in C, Symphonic Etudes, Fantasy Pieces, Arabesque, Kreisleriana, and Carnival Jest of Vienna are in general all well known to those with a good knowledge of piano literature. And I would also say that these pieces are frequently performed and considered staples of the piano literature by professional pianists.

B
B
Hi,

Do you know which pieces are the easier pieces to play other than Traumerei and Album for the young?

Thanks.

Bossie

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi bossie,

Here’s a charming piece of Schumann music which everybody should learn during their early days at the piano ... from Kinderscenen ... the opening

"Foreign Lands and People" ("Von Fremden Landern und Menschen")

22 measures on one page in the key of G ... totally captivating.

from foreign lands and people by schumann 15-1

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by bossie:
Do you know which pieces are the easier pieces to play other than Traumerei and Album for the young?
I recommend Waldscenen ("Forest Scenes") Op. 82.

Steven

Let's not forget the Arabeske Op. 18!

A delightful little salon piece that is incredibly fun to play. I've always wanted to program it as a second encore.

'I couldn't wait for success, so
I went on without it.' --Jonathan Winters

'I'm listening to a higher partial.' --Thomas McDowell
McDowell Bros. Piano Service
B
B
Thanks. Let me try in these few days .. smile

C
C
Originally posted by sotto voce:
Originally posted by bossie:
[b]Do you know which pieces are the easier pieces to play other than Traumerei and Album for the young?
I recommend Waldscenen ("Forest Scenes") Op. 82.

Steven [/b]
I, too, feel Schumann's style is unique, and very difficult to play well (in a musically convincing sense). I also happen to love most of what he has written, though I must admit I developed more of a rapport with his music a bit later in my life. Perhaps one must oneself be bipolar really to grasp it ( wink I'm only half serious here, but whereas I think it is very easy to exaggerate or become overly sentimental with Chopin, the story is somewhat different for Schumann).

Anyway, I'm replying to Steven's comment because I adore the Waldscenen and wonder why, among all of his works for solo piano, these are so infrequently played. Several of them are actually rather challenging technically (particularly the two "hunting" vignettes). But the "Bird as Prophet" is one of the most haunting things he wrote (along with the second mvt. of the piano quintet).

Al

C
C
Some of his music is the most inspired and sometimes heart-rending of any of the romantics. I consider him to be the original romantic, the others, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, are still very classical. [/QB]
This is also my feeling. The statement is justified not only musically, given the quasi-programmatic inspiration he often takes from Romantic German literature.

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
His Fantasiestucke op.12 (which I am currently working on) never stops to amaze me.
Amazing piece of music, and every single time I hear it and feel it differently.
He has a wonderful style, I won't say original because it is a very relative thing, no?
But I have to say, I adore his music much more than Schubert's because I still can't understand Schubert quite well. I know it might change in time.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by ecm:
But I have to say, I adore his music much more than Schubert's because I still can't understand Schubert quite well. I know it might change in time.
Dino, I was late to appreciate Schubert, too.

The turning point was when I stopped expecting him to be Romantic (or proto-Romantic, at least) and started considering his piano style in the tradition of Haydn and Beethoven instead.

Steven

OP Offline
Originally posted by ecm:

This applies to me, too. I do not listen to Schubert's pieces very often... frown

But I still love his Moment Musical No. 3. It is just stunning. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission