Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#500977 - 08/24/07 07:27 PM video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

just added yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s7Y7BhG1GM&mode=user&search=

Thoughts? I think we've heard this from him before.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#500978 - 08/24/07 07:33 PM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#500979 - 08/24/07 07:55 PM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
All wise words.

#500980 - 08/25/07 04:57 AM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Heinrich Neuhaus, the teacher of Sviatoslav Richter and Emil Gilels, also used to teach his students about cooking.

Imagine, he would say, that you want to cook some potatos. So you start the water boiling in a pot. You wait, but you get impatient... and before the water has finished boiling, you turn off the burner and go do something else. 10-15 minutes later you come back to finish boiling the water, but -- alas! -- the water has by that time cooled back down.

So this time, you wait a little longer... this time the water actually begins to boil... but you get impatient again and turn off the burner before putting the potatoes in, and you go do something else. When you come back later, the water has cooled down again.

Finally, you realize what is going on... you turn on the burner again and wait very patiently for 15 minutes until the pot of water is in full boil, with water spitting out the sides, and then finally you are able to put the potatoes in and cook them and enjoy a nice meal.

So what does this have to do with playing piano? It takes a long, uninterrupted time just to get the water boiling... just to get to the point where a passage is finally beginning to make sense, and you can play it well without any mistakes. But that is only the beginning... you still have to cook the potatoes. So if you get up and leave before reaching this point in your practice, you will not reap the benefits that you would get if you keep on going.

If the passage is easy, then you don't have to practice it as much. If it is harder, then you have to practice more. But however long it takes, it is going to take even longer if you are impatient and spontaneous about it.

#500981 - 08/25/07 08:00 PM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Heinrich Neuhaus, the teacher of Sviatoslav Richter and Emil Gilels, also used to teach his students about cooking.

Imagine, he would say, that you want to cook some potatos. So you start the water boiling in a pot. You wait, but you get impatient... and before the water has finished boiling, you turn off the burner and go do something else. 10-15 minutes later you come back to finish boiling the water, but -- alas! -- the water has by that time cooled back down.

So this time, you wait a little longer... this time the water actually begins to boil... but you get impatient again and turn off the burner before putting the potatoes in, and you go do something else. When you come back later, the water has cooled down again.

Finally, you realize what is going on... you turn on the burner again and wait very patiently for 15 minutes until the pot of water is in full boil, with water spitting out the sides, and then finally you are able to put the potatoes in and cook them and enjoy a nice meal.

So what does this have to do with playing piano? It takes a long, uninterrupted time just to get the water boiling... just to get to the point where a passage is finally beginning to make sense, and you can play it well without any mistakes. But that is only the beginning... you still have to cook the potatoes. So if you get up and leave before reaching this point in your practice, you will not reap the benefits that you would get if you keep on going.

If the passage is easy, then you don't have to practice it as much. If it is harder, then you have to practice more. But however long it takes, it is going to take even longer if you are impatient and spontaneous about it. [/b]
wrong forum??

:p

#500982 - 08/25/07 08:34 PM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

\:\/

Did you watch the movies?

:p

#500983 - 12/05/07 01:25 AM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
fredericch Offline

Loc: Westport, CT
I love the Neuhaus story. It is yet another music/cooking metaphor that works perfectly! Where did you get this from? I'd like to use it, reference it.

#500984 - 12/05/07 04:21 AM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

It's from his book, "The Art of Piano Playing." (I wish I could give you a page number, but both library copies are checked-out now.)

He mentions a student who absolutely could not progress no matter how much practice time she put in -- until exploring how she was arranging that practice time.

#500985 - 12/05/07 04:41 AM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
That is a great book. It has pride of place on the bookshelf in our ground floor "smallest room of thought and reflection." ;\) Whoever translated it seemed to have retained a lot of the author's pithy and humorous ways of expressing things. I specifically recall the section concerning his less experienced pupils' tendency to speed up when note values shorten in a melodic line, and that listening to a good singer or violinist can help in understanding how not to rush and to achieve a good cantabile tone and expression when moving e.g. from quarter notes to eighth notes. He says something along the lines of "these dear little accelerations have caused my liver much damage during my teaching career." \:\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#500986 - 12/05/07 05:05 AM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
I like the cooking story too. I have been learning a piece recently that has been strongly resisting assimilation - I have been doing exactly what your story describes, giving up too early out of frustration and doing something else, then coming back to it and trying again, and again...

I have that book but have not read it yet... obviously I need to... \:\)

#500987 - 12/05/07 09:27 PM Re: video -- Frederic Chiu on practicing piano
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
...and that listening to a good singer or violinist can help in understanding how not to rush and to achieve a good cantabile tone and expression.... [/b]
Reminds me of Chopin's sending his students to hear the operas of Bellini.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, 25 invisible), 1252 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156177 Topics
2293496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
13 minutes 50 seconds ago
Broadway medley
by cheni
Today at 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
Today at 12:52 AM
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
Today at 12:45 AM
Summer Camp
by myip
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission