2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by J. Mark:
Maybe someone likes you, Bruce. wink
That's a kind thought, J. Mark, but I doubt it! laugh

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by BruceD:
Yeah, I understand. To invoke Professor Higgins, single "and likely to remain so".

And yet... was Bassio's post a referendum on a nice young woman in his life? Was he asking for a bit of advice? We can hope.

Jason
K
K
It's nice being married to a non musician so I don't have to fight for time on my piano!
Kylie

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've got one single rule in this matter, if I'll ever marry it would be with someone I knew I would love for the rest of my life (and the next).

(This is probably why I'm not married laugh )

I never thought that his occupation would be important as long as he is happy with it, but it would be very unlikely that I could ever fall in love with somebody who's not passionate about music.

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
A
arp Offline
A
My husband doesn't play the piano or anything else for that matter.

In fact, this is about the only area where I have the upper hand on him. Although he is a scientist by training, he also reads very widely and knows an incredible amount about music, art, philosophy and literature. I am taking a broad-interest humanities degree and I have yet to study anything that he hasn't read something about (and has a strong opinion on). It is just so annoying sometimes when I am finding out something new and find that he already knows all about it! After 24 years with him, I should have got used to it, I suppose.

So me being able to play the piano and him not is a definite plus.

Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Yeah, I understand. To invoke Professor Higgins, single "and likely to remain so".

And yet... was Bassio's post a referendum on a nice young woman in his life? Was he asking for a bit of advice? We can hope.
Alas no, my friend! I hoped it was the case, but unfortunately no.

And to answer BruceD's post: because I think we should have a fun thread every once in a while, don't you think? wink

I also wondered if anyone out there can stand the amount of "noise" generated by pianists while practicing laugh Because if parents cannot stand their son/daughter practicing .. why should the wife/husband/fiancee/girlfriend stand it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm, Paris Hilton apparently knows how to play piano... laugh

K
K
Mahlzeit- I didn't know there was a drinking game called piano!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Would you prefer to be engaged to .. a pianist?
For me, the answer would be "No."

I don't think I'd want to play second fiddle to a piano.

<ba dump bump> smile

M
M
Well, I've been married now for 10 years, but I'm glad my husband is not a musician. I was engaged to a guitarist and he was so critical of other musicians (myself included) that I quit piano and singing for a year! mad So I'm happy that my husband can give ma a genuine answer on how something sounds without being too critical or detailed about it. I know he's being honest and not trying to undermine me in any way, and his opinion gives me a good idea as to what a general public audience might think.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally posted by Bassio:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
[b]
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by J. Mark:

Alas no, my friend! I hoped it was the case, but unfortunately no.

And to answer BruceD's post: because I think we should have a fun thread every once in a while, don't you think? wink

I also wondered if anyone out there can stand the amount of "noise" generated by pianists while practicing laugh Because if parents cannot stand their son/daughter practicing .. why should the wife/husband/fiancee/girlfriend stand it? [/b]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We have a perfect solution for this: we remodeled my studio and put tons of insulation in every wall and the ceiling. Then my husband moved his Xbox360 upstairs, so when I practice, he plays. We can't hear each other...it's great!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It has actually been my great displeasure to meet so-called classical musicians who don't seem to have any interesting personality, even when it comes to classical music. For instance, I once ran into a doctorate of piano pedagogy who did not know what the Chopin Scherzi were.

I have been utterly floored by the sheer number of performers who apparently don't listen to much of any classical music. Why are they musicians? It isn't a lucrative field. Shouldn't these people be doing mathematics or engineering or something?

On that note, real artists tend to be people utterly alone with their craft, and have little room for outside relationships. I have certainly noticed this in myself - at my age of 18, it is useless to venture into anything serious or long term with my peers. Women in their 40s have stricken me as being far more attractive on a personal and emotional level than women my age.

As far as I am concerned, friends and supposed intimate partners are many times only fleeting images. Give me art and people who appreciate it, damn it!

-Colin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Colin,

Maybe your best post ever. (And that's a lot.) There's a great deal contained in those few words. But mostly, I identify with the notion that true artists are people utterly alone with their craft.

It's an important choice many people are faced with in their lives. Personally, I choose not to be alone with my craft. I enjoy the love and companionship of my wife, my children, my friends. And I sacrifice any real artistic ambition in favor of that. ... Not that I have any talent, but I humor myself that I made that choice.

Choose wisely, friend. smile

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Colin said: "Give me art and people who appreciate it, damn it!"

And, Colin, I can't help but make the prediction that you will find them genuine and worthy as time goes by. You have a lot of offer in conversation, interesting subjects, love of music, searching for truth and revelations, too, I believe.

There is no reason who should not have the lifestyle you crave - just not overnight - it takes a while. And, people like this are entering your life all the time if you can get to know them and find your kinship.

Best!

Betty

Originally posted by Bassio:

I also wondered if anyone out there can stand the amount of "noise" generated by pianists while practicing laugh Because if parents cannot stand their son/daughter practicing .. why should the wife/husband/fiancee/girlfriend stand it?
if i can't practice i get quite agitated.

my kids love to hear me play.. they ask to sleep on the sofa so they can hear me practice while they sleep..

my husband times his day to nap and eat during my piano time if he is home

i make alot of noise. it certainly doesn't sound all that great.... at all. they love it .

-of course, i'm a great cook and they don't want me to go away

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
C
C
Im-possible matches:

. Same instrument: not advisable. Well... not for me.
. Two music teachers: no way... they will make very little money and will be forever unhappy.
. Man composer - woman singer: perfecto. They will cheat themselves all their f... lives.
. Man harpist - woman tuba player: a heavenly couple?

Make your match.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
originally posted by Reaper978:
Women in their 40s have stricken me as being far more attractive on a personal and emotional level than women my age.
laugh

I'll tell you Colin, some women in their 40s would quite easily fall in love with you or Jason or Bassio or any of the very charming young men at the forum shocked

Fun ?, yes. Wise ? , no ! wink

The female tuba player/male harpist is probably the best suggestion so far...

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ragnhild - I just found it interesting to note. Of course, there are multiples more of people any age that I could not stand to be with, but it seems as I go up the age range people really start to gain those excellent characteristics of trust, emotional stability, depth, and experience.

It helps me to understand myself a bit more.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Reaper978:
...but it seems as I go up the age range people really start to gain those excellent characteristics of trust, emotional stability, depth, and experience.
With luck, you'll leapfrog your 20's.

I'd rather marry a good cook than another pianist...hey wait a minute... I am a good cook! laugh

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jason:
I'd rather marry a good cook than another pianist...

Following is the start of the very first conversation I had with my future mother-in-law, in their sitting room, having arrived by train late on a Friday night after a long day at work in London, to spend the weekend in the country:

FM-I-L: "Where's Jackie?"

MB: "In the kitchen making me something to eat. I didn't even manage to eat lunch today."

FM-I-L: "Well, she is such a very good cook. Did you know that she makes lovely cakes and pastries!!!"

This was the start of a Mrs Bennett-esque "please marry my daughter" performance[1] that continued unabated until we left on the Sunday afternoon. It was nearly 20 years ago, but it still makes me smile[2] to remember it. She was of course absolutely correct, and said cakes and pastries have been the bane of my waistline ever since smile .

Michael B.
[1] Including "she plays the piano and violin so beautifully", etc.
[2] And Jackie cringe laugh

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission