2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by computerpro3:
I think that they had other things to draw inspiration from. Some people don't. Music is a very personal thing and of course it is going to be different for everyone.
Then I suppose you should be more careful about what sort of statements you pretend to agree with ("the greatest artists are utterly alone with their craft", assuming this implies no family---if it doesn't, then it's not really a relevant statement, is it? A bit empty, isn't it? Otherwise it's a false statement, as I demonstrated earlier).

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Some people are alone regardless of who they are with, Antonius.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Reaper978:
Computerpro3,

I have high-functioning autism (Asperger's, see sig) which works to prevent me from fully connecting with people. This creates an unbelievable intensity to my music...
Wow, little Napoleon crowning himself Emperor, anyone?

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
originally posted by Janus Sachs
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computerpro3,

I have high-functioning autism (Asperger's, see sig) which works to prevent me from fully connecting with people. This creates an unbelievable intensity to my music...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of context the quote from Reaper978 does sound grandiose. However it can be read as "I experience my music with an intensity that others would scarcely believe." This reading raises questions of its own, but does not justify the accusation that it indicates delusions of grandeur.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I teach piano to autistic students and Aspergers. Janus Sachs and Antonius Hamus: how many experiences have you had with students and/ or individuals who suffer from these conditions? Do you think it is compassionate and wise to belittle or deride an individual who is trying to cope with these symptoms? I have seen first hand that these conditions are not the fault of the individual. They must work hard to learn to cope in this world. The least we can do is show some kindness. Is this not a more noble way to behave towards someone else's malody?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I don't need to have experience with such students to know that their ability for logical thought isn't any worse than that of the general population. There's also a subtle but meaningful difference between deriding someone's statements and deriding that someone himself.

Reaper, please raise your hand if my lack of commiseration is driving you to suicide. I wouldn't want that to happen to you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just me, suddenly thinking like a mother wink :

Please, be nice and go gently with eachother, life is not that easy and this topic is probably the most sensitive of all you could have chosen.

Computerpro3, I enjoyed your long post and found it full of true insight, you say :

Honestly, both marriage and being a pianist are vocations, pure and simple. I'm just not sure to which I'm called yet.
So true, but don't be sure you are not called for both ! They might both demand your full concentration for longer or shorter periods, but by choosing the right time (and the right girl wink ), I would think it's possible.

Colin, I've looked at the site in your link and found it very interesting. The milder forms of autism is very common and has its advantages when it comes to being passionate about things. I might be there myself, the more serious I know little about.

This forum is a great place for meeting passionate people, and again, please everybody, try to be nice.

Good luck to all of you with life, love and music !

R

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ferdinand:
originally posted by Janus Sachs
quote:
Computerpro3,

Out of context the quote from Reaper978 does sound grandiose. However it can be read as "I experience my music with an intensity that others would scarcely believe." This reading raises questions of its own, but does not justify the accusation that it indicates delusions of grandeur.
Alright, if we take your interpretation, it then becomes somewhat ironic that Reaper continuously blows a tantrum because the world doesn't love music as much as he does in a forum where many are at least as dedicated, if not more so, to music than he is. It doesn't take Asperger's to live a life dedicated to music, or to love it with blinding intensity . Neither does Asperger's give Reaper the right to think that he alone experiences music as intensely as he does, or that such a love of music that is unknownable to most people creates within him a sense of alienation that he alone feels (see argerichfan's post). Doesn't sound too far from "delusions of grandeur" (your words, not mine) to me.

Given your interpretation, and my own many years of humbly serving the muses (more years than Reaper's age, I'll say that much), I could choose to be insulted by Reaper's implied assertion that he alone (partly or wholly because of his Asperger's) is able to love music so greatly and experience it with such intensity, and that as a result he alone suffers from such a great sense of alientaion. But you know what, I just smile and go on smile , because life is far too short. Frei aber Froh.

Believe me, I for one will be overjoyed once Reaper steps out of his many vicious circles (some of which he creates himself) so that he can achieve his potential. But I think I can wait...

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission