Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#504569 - 07/29/06 03:23 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
If showing up three times a semester counts as teaching, then yeah.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#504570 - 07/29/06 04:58 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Sokolov_thelegend Offline

Loc: China
I understand it, Brendan~~~ ^^
Mr Watts must be very busy!

#504571 - 08/01/06 12:34 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
starlightjenny Offline

I would like to enquire on the following questions in general:

1) When should I apply for scholarship or financial support in the process as an international student in US? At the time I apply for admission? Or, after the university receive me? Or, after I pay for the full studying fee?

2) What should I prepare for the above process?

Thank you for your help.

#504572 - 08/01/06 12:53 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Brendan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by starlightjenny:
I would like to enquire on the following questions in general:

1) When should I apply for scholarship or financial support in the process as an international student in US? At the time I apply for admission? Or, after the university receive me? Or, after I pay for the full studying fee?

2) What should I prepare for the above process?

Thank you for your help. [/b]
1) Different schools have different deadlines, but, generally speaking, try to have your financial documents ready to submit along with your application for admission.

2) For international students, I think your parents have to have a certain amount of money in assets (regardless of the scholarships you get) in order for them to be allowed to accept you. Bank statements, tax forms, etc. might be needed for submission.

Your best bet is to get all of the info you need from the schools you are interested in. The chances are they that all have similar procedures and financial requirements for international students.

#504573 - 08/01/06 01:33 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US

oh, Jenny, are u from HK?
Studying in the local University or conservatory?
I am a piano student from Shengzhen~

#504574 - 08/01/06 08:53 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
starlightjenny Offline

Hello, Sokolov_thelegend, (are you asking me?)

Nice to talk with you. Not so lucky as you are; I am just a student of a piano teacher by private tutoring.

By the way, I join Martha's concert in HK. Do you enjoy her music? (Though the orch cannot catch up with her standard....)

#504575 - 08/01/06 06:30 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US

Sure. I enjoy her music enormously.

#504576 - 08/05/06 01:10 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Stormcrow Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Sung:
Just a quick note to correct the poster who said that 21 was the absolute cutoff age for Curtis applicants - that's not quite correct, as we do accept vocal students up to age 26, opera students and composers up to age 28, and several other instruments like organ, harp, viola, etc. at a slightly higher age bracket (age 23). Also, master degrees are offered in the opera department. Please refer to our catalogue for complete admission details, available as a PDF download from our site at www.curtis.edu.
If anyone has any Curtis-related questions, please feel free to either post them here in the forum or email me directly. I'm the Director of Student Recitals and Instrumental Accompaniment here at Curtis. Looking forward to making many of your acquaintances here on the forum!
All the best,
Hugh Sung

[/b]
Very cool to see someone from Curtis here. But is 21 still the cut off age for piano then? I mean I'm sure that there will exceptions though, if they feel like it. Correct?

Thanks

#504577 - 08/08/06 12:58 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
wanghuey Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
The Hartt School, University of Hartford

#504578 - 08/13/06 10:28 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
hockeyguy Offline

Loc: toledo oh
Hello--
I'm fairly new here,and have a question...
My situation is somewhat different and perhaps unusual..
Would a music conservatory even consider admitting someone in their 50's? I have played piano all of my life, and accomplished, espec. during high school, when I was in statewide piano competitions. My life and career took a different path, and I subsequently went to Medical School. I am having a very successful career (a subspecialty surgeon) and am now 46 yrs old.
Due to various factors, I hope to retire from medicine at some point in my early 50's (stress, burnout, paperwork, quality of life, etc.).
I have though seriously of taking up piano as a second "career", more for personal growth and fulfillment obviously, than for becoming a performer or professor. I hope to be in a position to move anywhere and be financially secure.
I am not interested in a regular undergrad program, but instead a true conservatory.
Would they even consider letting an old geezer in his 50's enter their school? Would the teachers there give me a lot of "attitutude" and not treat me the same as their "serious" students, whose lifer careers will hopefully be in music?
Some friends think I'm nuts, others say, sarcastically, that a few years of nice donations and the ability to pay cash for tuition will go a long way....but I really feel that taking up music more seriously will fulfill a life ambition.

#504579 - 08/13/06 10:38 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
hockeyguy Offline

Loc: toledo oh
sorry about all of the typos..I'm a terrible typist.
BTW, I realize many schools have age limits, and of couse require rigorous auditions...

It might be more realistic for me to find a very accomplished teacher, perhaps at a fine institution, and pay him/her a handsome fee for private lessons...

#504580 - 08/15/06 11:46 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Codetta Offline

Loc: Chino Hills, CA
This is only my second post but I had to add my my school:

California State University Fullerton
http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/music/index.htm

Private Piano Teacher
Member: Music Teachers' Association of California
Evaluator: Certificate of Merit
Organist/Pianist: Christ Lutheran Church, West Covina

#504581 - 08/15/06 04:47 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
ClassicMusic Offline

I was told that in order to audition for the top conservatories such as Curtis and Julliard, you really need some inside connection. In other words, if you just go there "cold" (ie, without having the master class or couple of private lessons with some teachers), your chance of acceptance is not really high. Can someone shed some light on this? I certainly hope that's a rumor. Thanks.

#504582 - 08/16/06 09:22 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
otacon Offline

I was looking into a music production/technology major. Are there any universities (not conservatories) that have a good technology major?
I know the Ithaca has a program like that, but what other schools are there?

#504583 - 08/17/06 04:19 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Brendan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassicMusic:
I was told that in order to audition for the top conservatories such as Curtis and Julliard, you really need some inside connection. In other words, if you just go there "cold" (ie, without having the master class or couple of private lessons with some teachers), your chance of acceptance is not really high. Can someone shed some light on this? I certainly hope that's a rumor. Thanks. [/b]
Well, it's not always true, but connections do help at most schools. In the end though, someone who comes in cold and plays an amazing audition has a better chance than someone who knows a faculty member but plays a terrible audition. Admission is based on a group consensus.

#504584 - 08/18/06 06:02 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
CarlosKleiberist Offline

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by ClassicMusic:
I was told that in order to audition for the top conservatories such as Curtis and Julliard, you really need some inside connection. In other words, if you just go there "cold" (ie, without having the master class or couple of private lessons with some teachers), your chance of acceptance is not really high. Can someone shed some light on this? I certainly hope that's a rumor. Thanks. [/b]
Don't listen to Brendan!

It's all true! If you want to get into the top studio at a top conservatory, you better have your connections, otherwise you are screwed!

Unless, like Brendan states, you play AMAZINGLY! But usually, yea you should definitely go meet and have a lesson or two with the teacher. It helps GREATLY if your current teacher is friends with these professors.

#504585 - 08/18/06 06:05 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
CarlosKleiberist Offline

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by hockeyguy:
Hello--
I'm fairly new here,and have a question...
My situation is somewhat different and perhaps unusual..
Would a music conservatory even consider admitting someone in their 50's? I have played piano all of my life, and accomplished, espec. during high school, when I was in statewide piano competitions. My life and career took a different path, and I subsequently went to Medical School. I am having a very successful career (a subspecialty surgeon) and am now 46 yrs old.
Due to various factors, I hope to retire from medicine at some point in my early 50's (stress, burnout, paperwork, quality of life, etc.).
I have though seriously of taking up piano as a second "career", more for personal growth and fulfillment obviously, than for becoming a performer or professor. I hope to be in a position to move anywhere and be financially secure.
I am not interested in a regular undergrad program, but instead a true conservatory.
Would they even consider letting an old geezer in his 50's enter their school? Would the teachers there give me a lot of "attitutude" and not treat me the same as their "serious" students, whose lifer careers will hopefully be in music?
Some friends think I'm nuts, others say, sarcastically, that a few years of nice donations and the ability to pay cash for tuition will go a long way....but I really feel that taking up music more seriously will fulfill a life ambition. [/b]
I'm not sure about a top flight conservatory, although if you're AMAZING, they might take you. Keep in mind that by taking up that space at a music school, you might be taking away a young student's spot who probably will have a career in music. So from that stand point the faculty might veto your acceptance. I don't know, that's just my thought. But I know of a great teacher who specializes in adult students. Someone like Milton Stern in Los Angeles, works with mostly adult students such as yourself. And in terms of learning how to play the piano, what difference does it make if you study with a great teacher privately or with a teacher at a conservatory?

Many concert pianists never went to a school...

#504586 - 08/24/06 04:23 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosKleiberist:
Don't listen to Brendan!

It's all true! If you want to get into the top studio at a top conservatory, you better have your connections, otherwise you are screwed!

Unless, like Brendan states, you play AMAZINGLY! But usually, yea you should definitely go meet and have a lesson or two with the teacher. It helps GREATLY if your current teacher is friends with these professors. [/b][/QUOTE]

That is true even for university. If you want to go to private university with a conservatory- like setting, you do best to get in contact with as many teachers and administrators as possible. Go to orientation meetings, meet with counselors, talk with counselors over the phone, get in contact with the piano teacher, and try to 'move yourself in' so to speak. That is what I am trying to do at Chapman University. It is hard, and you still don't know if you get in.

#504587 - 09/04/06 01:46 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
bukopaudan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Wow..

Anyone know of any near or around New Jersey?
How about Princeton or University of Pennsylvania?

#504588 - 09/04/06 05:32 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Brendan Offline

Quote:
That is true even for university. If you want to go to private university with a conservatory- like setting, you do best to get in contact with as many teachers and administrators as possible. [/b]
That's what I said originally - connections help, but they are not the only determining factor. I've known people who didn't get into a DMA or MM program at the same school where they did their BM or MM. You've got to have a connection and[/b] play well, but the more important of the two is playing well.

#504589 - 09/05/06 01:44 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US

By the way, which music schools are top in their DM piano programs? Juilliard? Indiana? Yale?

#504590 - 09/06/06 11:51 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Pumpkinhead Offline

Well, I dont think it's entirely true about connections either. My current teacher got into both Curtis and Juilliard without a single connection or winning any semi-large competitions. He just went in and played the **** out of Chopins third scherzo, Bach's Second English Suite, and Scubert's A minor sonata.

#504591 - 09/07/06 03:18 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US

Cool... who is ur teacher? Pumkinhead

#504592 - 09/07/06 05:31 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Pumpkinhead Offline

Mark Richman. And here's the funny part. He turned down both Juilliard Curtis to study at UCLA with Aube Tzerko. He says that he learned more from that man than any institution could give. I guess that certain posters on here are completely right. Pursue the teacher!

#504593 - 09/07/06 09:40 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US

That sounds cool~

#504594 - 09/09/06 08:42 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carnegie Mellon, or I may have missed it since I was just browsing through.

http://www.cmu.edu/cfa/music/

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

#504595 - 09/09/06 03:51 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
ASBpiano Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I realize this school isn't in the US, but any word on McGill? I've read that it is the top music program in Canada. I'm interested in doing a double major, and a school known as "the Harvard of the North" will certainly be considered (at under $15,000/year!). I'm just hoping the piano department is a good one...

#504596 - 09/16/06 11:01 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Seneca Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
pianojerome--
you say you are young and naive, but your comments are very wise. If you can stay naive as you gain more experience and get older, you will do very well indeed.
Thumbs up and good luck!

#504597 - 10/29/06 01:44 AM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
what's the top conservatories specifically for piano not just music, in the world? Juilliard and Curtis are often quoted as the best in general but what would you guys say are the premiere conservatories for studying piano performance? Are juilliard and curtis still at the top?

#504598 - 11/03/06 04:29 PM Re: Music Schools/Conservatories in the US
hpc1234 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosKleiberist:
Boris Berman at Yale... Menahem Pressler at Indiana... Nelita True at Eastman... Leon Fleisher at Peabody... no? [/b]
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sokolov_thelegend:
IC. THx. BUt I always think that people go to Yale because of Professor Claude Frank~ I like Pressler too. But I have also heard of Andre Watts teaching at Indiana... [/b]
yah, but these top teachers might have so meny students or activities that they might not have much time and energy to work with you as an undergrad. It might also be very hard to get into their studio as a freshman. Can anyone share some info about other piano teachers at these schools, especially Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University? Comments from those who have experience with these schools are especially welcome. Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
Today at 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
Today at 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (Alexander Borro, ajames, ando, anamnesis, angga888, 44 invisible), 1530 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76639 Members
42 Forums
158469 Topics
2327168 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission