2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
If showing up three times a semester counts as teaching, then yeah.

S
S
I understand it, Brendan~~~ ^^
Mr Watts must be very busy!

CSY
I would like to enquire on the following questions in general:

1) When should I apply for scholarship or financial support in the process as an international student in US? At the time I apply for admission? Or, after the university receive me? Or, after I pay for the full studying fee?

2) What should I prepare for the above process?

Thank you for your help.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by starlightjenny:
I would like to enquire on the following questions in general:

1) When should I apply for scholarship or financial support in the process as an international student in US? At the time I apply for admission? Or, after the university receive me? Or, after I pay for the full studying fee?

2) What should I prepare for the above process?

Thank you for your help.
1) Different schools have different deadlines, but, generally speaking, try to have your financial documents ready to submit along with your application for admission.

2) For international students, I think your parents have to have a certain amount of money in assets (regardless of the scholarships you get) in order for them to be allowed to accept you. Bank statements, tax forms, etc. might be needed for submission.

Your best bet is to get all of the info you need from the schools you are interested in. The chances are they that all have similar procedures and financial requirements for international students.

S
S
oh, Jenny, are u from HK?
Studying in the local University or conservatory?
I am a piano student from Shengzhen~

CSY
Hello, Sokolov_thelegend, (are you asking me?)

Nice to talk with you. Not so lucky as you are; I am just a student of a piano teacher by private tutoring.

By the way, I join Martha's concert in HK. Do you enjoy her music? (Though the orch cannot catch up with her standard....)

S
S
Sure. I enjoy her music enormously.

CSY
S
S
Originally posted by Hugh Sung:
Just a quick note to correct the poster who said that 21 was the absolute cutoff age for Curtis applicants - that's not quite correct, as we do accept vocal students up to age 26, opera students and composers up to age 28, and several other instruments like organ, harp, viola, etc. at a slightly higher age bracket (age 23). Also, master degrees are offered in the opera department. Please refer to our catalogue for complete admission details, available as a PDF download from our site at <a href="http://www.curtis.edu">www.curtis.edu</a>.
If anyone has any Curtis-related questions, please feel free to either post them here in the forum or email me directly. I'm the Director of Student Recitals and Instrumental Accompaniment here at Curtis. Looking forward to making many of your acquaintances here on the forum!
All the best,
Hugh Sung

<a href="http://hughsung.com"> [Linked Image]</a>
Very cool to see someone from Curtis here. thumb But is 21 still the cut off age for piano then? I mean I'm sure that there will exceptions though, if they feel like it. Correct?

Thanks

No longer playing
The Hartt School, University of Hartford

H
H
Hello--
I'm fairly new here,and have a question...
My situation is somewhat different and perhaps unusual..
Would a music conservatory even consider admitting someone in their 50's? I have played piano all of my life, and accomplished, espec. during high school, when I was in statewide piano competitions. My life and career took a different path, and I subsequently went to Medical School. I am having a very successful career (a subspecialty surgeon) and am now 46 yrs old.
Due to various factors, I hope to retire from medicine at some point in my early 50's (stress, burnout, paperwork, quality of life, etc.).
I have though seriously of taking up piano as a second "career", more for personal growth and fulfillment obviously, than for becoming a performer or professor. I hope to be in a position to move anywhere and be financially secure.
I am not interested in a regular undergrad program, but instead a true conservatory.
Would they even consider letting an old geezer in his 50's enter their school? Would the teachers there give me a lot of "attitutude" and not treat me the same as their "serious" students, whose lifer careers will hopefully be in music?
Some friends think I'm nuts, others say, sarcastically, that a few years of nice donations and the ability to pay cash for tuition will go a long way....but I really feel that taking up music more seriously will fulfill a life ambition.

H
H
sorry about all of the typos..I'm a terrible typist.
BTW, I realize many schools have age limits, and of couse require rigorous auditions...

It might be more realistic for me to find a very accomplished teacher, perhaps at a fine institution, and pay him/her a handsome fee for private lessons...

C
C
This is only my second post but I had to add my my school:

California State University Fullerton
http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/music/index.htm

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
Berthold Auerbach

Private Piano Teacher
Member: Music Teachers' Association of California
Evaluator: Certificate of Merit
Organist/Pianist: Christ Lutheran Church, West Covina
I was told that in order to audition for the top conservatories such as Curtis and Julliard, you really need some inside connection. In other words, if you just go there "cold" (ie, without having the master class or couple of private lessons with some teachers), your chance of acceptance is not really high. Can someone shed some light on this? I certainly hope that's a rumor. Thanks.

O
O
I was looking into a music production/technology major. Are there any universities (not conservatories) that have a good technology major?
I know the Ithaca has a program like that, but what other schools are there?

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by ClassicMusic:
I was told that in order to audition for the top conservatories such as Curtis and Julliard, you really need some inside connection. In other words, if you just go there "cold" (ie, without having the master class or couple of private lessons with some teachers), your chance of acceptance is not really high. Can someone shed some light on this? I certainly hope that's a rumor. Thanks.
Well, it's not always true, but connections do help at most schools. In the end though, someone who comes in cold and plays an amazing audition has a better chance than someone who knows a faculty member but plays a terrible audition. Admission is based on a group consensus.

Originally posted by ClassicMusic:
Don't listen to Brendan!

It's all true! If you want to get into the top studio at a top conservatory, you better have your connections, otherwise you are screwed!

Unless, like Brendan states, you play AMAZINGLY! But usually, yea you should definitely go meet and have a lesson or two with the teacher. It helps GREATLY if your current teacher is friends with these professors.

Originally posted by hockeyguy:
Hello--
I'm fairly new here,and have a question...
My situation is somewhat different and perhaps unusual..
Would a music conservatory even consider admitting someone in their 50's? I have played piano all of my life, and accomplished, espec. during high school, when I was in statewide piano competitions. My life and career took a different path, and I subsequently went to Medical School. I am having a very successful career (a subspecialty surgeon) and am now 46 yrs old.
Due to various factors, I hope to retire from medicine at some point in my early 50's (stress, burnout, paperwork, quality of life, etc.).
I have though seriously of taking up piano as a second "career", more for personal growth and fulfillment obviously, than for becoming a performer or professor. I hope to be in a position to move anywhere and be financially secure.
I am not interested in a regular undergrad program, but instead a true conservatory.
Would they even consider letting an old geezer in his 50's enter their school? Would the teachers there give me a lot of "attitutude" and not treat me the same as their "serious" students, whose lifer careers will hopefully be in music?
Some friends think I'm nuts, others say, sarcastically, that a few years of nice donations and the ability to pay cash for tuition will go a long way....but I really feel that taking up music more seriously will fulfill a life ambition.
I'm not sure about a top flight conservatory, although if you're AMAZING, they might take you. Keep in mind that by taking up that space at a music school, you might be taking away a young student's spot who probably will have a career in music. So from that stand point the faculty might veto your acceptance. I don't know, that's just my thought. But I know of a great teacher who specializes in adult students. Someone like Milton Stern in Los Angeles, works with mostly adult students such as yourself. And in terms of learning how to play the piano, what difference does it make if you study with a great teacher privately or with a teacher at a conservatory?

Many concert pianists never went to a school...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CarlosKleiberist:
Don't listen to Brendan!

It's all true! If you want to get into the top studio at a top conservatory, you better have your connections, otherwise you are screwed!

Unless, like Brendan states, you play AMAZINGLY! But usually, yea you should definitely go meet and have a lesson or two with the teacher. It helps GREATLY if your current teacher is friends with these professors. [/QUOTE]

That is true even for university. If you want to go to private university with a conservatory- like setting, you do best to get in contact with as many teachers and administrators as possible. Go to orientation meetings, meet with counselors, talk with counselors over the phone, get in contact with the piano teacher, and try to 'move yourself in' so to speak. That is what I am trying to do at Chapman University. It is hard, and you still don't know if you get in.

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Wow..

Anyone know of any near or around New Jersey?
How about Princeton or University of Pennsylvania?

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
That is true even for university. If you want to go to private university with a conservatory- like setting, you do best to get in contact with as many teachers and administrators as possible.
That's what I said originally - connections help, but they are not the only determining factor. I've known people who didn't get into a DMA or MM program at the same school where they did their BM or MM. You've got to have a connection and play well, but the more important of the two is playing well.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission