Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#505579 - 01/14/08 11:13 AM Re: Your occupation!
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by classik51:
I've always believed that if you HAVE to play music (as you would if it's your job) it would take some of the pureness away from it, so I'm not sure if it will ever be more than a hobby (although a very beautiful one).

So what about you guys? [/b]
Well, I used to think this as well. Then I went into the finance business and longed to do music. One day, I decided to teach with the encouragement of my piano and voice teachers. I made the transition over time, and I've always loved teaching. I learned my limits, however, and now I can say no to other activites if need be. (You wouldn't guess that I do say no, but I often do).

I teach privately a studio of 20 students, hoping to grow to about 25-30. I teach Kindermusik in about 5 classes per week, I teach 3 group voice classes for young singers. I do accounting for my husband's web development business about 3-4 times per week, depending on my schedule. I wouldn't mind dropping all the classes, but it's good money and it's a change. I did do a church job for 3 years, but that became too much so I quit.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#505580 - 01/14/08 11:40 AM Re: Your occupation!
kissyana Offline

Loc: Northeast Illinois
I'm from a town in Illinois located about halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.
I majored in music/piano pedagogy in college and got my degree in May 2006.
For my main source of income, I work a full time office job. In addition to that, I teach Monday through Thursday evenings. I'm currently brainstorming ways to reduce my schedule so that I can do a better job of taking care of myself, my house, my cat, my puppy, my man, you get the picture. ;\)
My plans are similar to yours, Daffodil. I want to do this music thing for as long as I can. Hopefully I'll be exclusively teaching (and maybe performing/accompanying) before I hit 30. That would be great!

#505581 - 01/14/08 11:44 AM Re: Your occupation!
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
I forgot to mention - my main occupation would seem to be posting at PW.
I work a full time job in London's financial district (affectionately called "The City"), but I'm not adverse to sneaking a peek (and posting) at PW during the day.

Otherwise, I'm on call as a substitute organist and occasionally work with singers on operatic and/or lieder repertoire.

#505582 - 01/14/08 02:19 PM Re: Your occupation!
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by kissyana:
My plans are similar to yours, Daffodil. I want to do this music thing for as long as I can. Hopefully I'll be exclusively teaching (and maybe performing/accompanying) before I hit 30. That would be great! [/b]
How true! I just turned 30 and I wish I could have a lot more private students so I can quit my day job. It does take quite a while to get a music studio established and get the kind of word-of-mouth referrals. I have 23 students currently, but I still have room for 10-15 more. I tried all kinds of advertisement methods, but there are simply too many piano teachers in my area \:\(

#505583 - 01/14/08 06:05 PM Re: Your occupation!
classik51 Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by jehalliday:
I am a retired lawyer living in south-central Ontario. Two months ago I resumed taking piano lessons after a 33 year absence. I just wanted to be able to enjoy playing again. It's a bit of a struggle at times but definitely worth the effort. [/b]
Cool, I'm planning to be a lawyer! Loads of stress and pressure, though. Being in school and taking piano lessons is already busy enough. However, I would never want to quit playing piano. Would you say it's not advisable to keep such a time-consuming hobby with a full time career?

I don't know how all of you can do it.

#505584 - 01/14/08 06:14 PM Re: Your occupation!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Would you say it's not advisable to keep such a time-consuming hobby with a full time career?

I don't know how all of you can do it. [/b]
Depends on how addicted you are to sleep. Me, I don't watch TV for a start. I have two adults at home who do most of the laundry, food buying etc. When I want to take a break from practicing I'm either here or deep in a mystery.

#505585 - 01/14/08 06:51 PM Re: Your occupation!
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
\:D

When I was at the height of my crazy period, I had a very stressful IT job (40+ hours per week, and had to wear a 24x7 emergency pager in rotation with my teammates).

I also had a 20 hour per week church job, which had its own stresses & responsibilities - especially during certain seasons!

Believe it or not, at this time I also worked at a movie studio from 6pm to midnight!

Oh well, I had the energy then. I also enjoyed my brief encounter with wealth. \:D

#505586 - 01/14/08 06:51 PM Re: Your occupation!
miaeih Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
 Quote:
Would you say it's not advisable to keep such a time-consuming hobby with a full time career?
If you love it enough, you'll make time. With a full time job and teaching on the side (usually ending up around 60+ hrs/week), I mostly only play on the weekends; run errands and practice.

#505587 - 01/14/08 08:31 PM Re: Your occupation!
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
I'm a retired senior exec. from a Fortune 100 company turned piano dilettante. Actually, I started playing well before I retired but due to travel & work demands was very inconsistent.

#505588 - 01/14/08 08:47 PM Re: Your occupation!
soccer_daemon Offline

Full time network engineer, part-time forex trader,
leaving limited and precious time for my pursue of
music, especially piano performance!

My ultimate dream is to ditch my day job when I
can substitute the income with my forex trading
which surprisingly doesn't take up that much time
as I was led to believe in the first place ... then
I could afford more time on pursuing my loved hobby
of all time ... piano!!! 8-)

#505589 - 01/14/08 08:53 PM Re: Your occupation!
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
musician....going on 41 yrs.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#505590 - 01/14/08 09:36 PM Re: Your occupation!
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
administrate my husband's remodeling business

freelance organist/pianist
accompany a very cool church ensemble choir
a couple students
3 kids.. seems like i have 10.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#505591 - 01/14/08 10:11 PM Re: Your occupation!
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I'm a production editor for a scholarly book publisher. I've been doing this for almost eight years now. At 50, I'm the oldest production editor in the place. It's not a goal job for most people, but I find it relatively interesting -- fitting all the different tasks together and fine-tuning other people's writing is like working on puzzles all day.

Piano was my first instrument, but I took up the cello in junior high and ended up majoring in it through to a doctorate in music. I taught and free-lanced but never had a full-time job or the equivalent. Fifteen years ago, burned out and broke, I gave it up and concentrated on earning a living. Starting about seven years ago, I slowly edged my way back into music, first trying to play the viola, then playing the cello more, and then about four years ago, taking up the piano again (hence my screen name). I'm determined never to quit again if I can help it. I'm still playing the cello, too (in fact, it's taken up more and more of time over the past year and I'm trying not to let it take over).

Husband, two cats, no kids.

Check out my blog !

#505592 - 01/15/08 01:28 PM Re: Your occupation!
Shellman Offline

Loc: East Riding, Yorkshire, Englan...
I am an analytical scientist working in a research company. I get to work with a particle accelerator which is actually fairly cool!
My wife and I live in The East Riding of Yorkshire, not far from York.

#505593 - 01/15/08 01:41 PM Re: Your occupation!
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
I'm a poor, starving composer.

Though I've had a few successes here and there, it seems like my career has been doomed even before it has begun. \:\(
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#505594 - 01/15/08 01:49 PM Re: Your occupation!
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Shellman:
My wife and I live in The East Riding of Yorkshire, not far from York.
Wow, one of my favourite corners of England after Great Malvern. Big news at York Minster with Philip Moore leaving...

#505595 - 01/15/08 02:12 PM Re: Your occupation!
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I forgot to say (in response to the OP's other question) that in my case, at least, trying to use music to earn a living took the joy out of it for me. There are some people for whom it all comes together and they are able to do what they love and get paid for it, but it doesn't always happen. I do occasionally toy with the idea of teaching again (cello or piano or both). Maybe it could be a semiretirement part-time job.

Check out my blog !

#505596 - 01/15/08 03:03 PM Re: Your occupation!
vogel54 Offline

Loc: Long Island
Retired teacher and currently working at a local college teaching "teacher hopefulls."

#505597 - 01/15/08 03:08 PM Re: Your occupation!
vogel54 Offline

Loc: Long Island
Oops, almost forgot...I returned to piano after many years of life in between...Was originally a music major in school but changed to education, as in those days, music ed teachers were a dime a dozen and no chance for a job. Taught for 34 years before retiring last year. Now studying piano again, painting, art classes and having lots of time off, except when I am working with my student teachers. Live on Long Island about 50 miles east of Manhattan in the burbs.

Best Regards,
Nick

#505598 - 01/15/08 04:47 PM Re: Your occupation!
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Stanza:
I am a clinical embryologist (i.e. test tube baby doctor). [/b]
Is there any relation between your profession and your avatar? \:D \:D

My profession? I worked for 30 years in all kind of jobs in education at highschools: teacher, career counselor, manager, coordinator....and still going strong. Living near Groningen in the Netherlands (Europe)

Best regards,
Johan

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#505599 - 01/15/08 05:00 PM Re: Your occupation!
arp Offline

Loc: Solihull, England
My paid occupation is writing books on UK tax for accountancy students taking professional exams. I'm not an accountant actually - I'm qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales and as a Chartered Tax Adviser.

I'm currently working on the ACCA range which is global (although some countries have local tax variants) so some of you might have come across my work. Look out for the names of some famous pianists in the questions!

Doesn't pay a great deal but allows me to work from home so I can do other things such as my Open University degree, organising my husband and kids (no guesses who needs the most input there!) and, of course, playing the piano.

#505600 - 01/15/08 05:15 PM Re: Your occupation!
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I teach at a community music school, direct a few middle school orchestras, and fill-in at a local church (not your average Church gig - we're doing the Haydn Te Deum for Easter this year with me playing continuo and a full professional orchestra.)

I supplement my income by composing educational piano music. I contributed to three anthologies coming out next month and I have my own collection being published soon as well. I'm also hard at work writing music for my school orchestras.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#505601 - 01/15/08 05:34 PM Re: Your occupation!
Fleeting Visions Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Champaign, IL
I am an undergrad student, soon to become graduate student. I am a physics and Pre-Med Major, and will do medical research. I am hoping to attend Harvard, Stanford, or UPenn. I have heard back from one school of those so far, but I expect to hear back from at least one more.

I am an amateur pianist and would like to consider myself fairly well accomplished, considering that.

Daniel

#505602 - 01/15/08 05:46 PM Re: Your occupation!
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
I'm a Distinguished Analyst with a global IT services firm. I spend my work life giving advice to large corporations and government agencies on how to make better decisions in their IT organization and on stage in various locations around the world speaking at conferences. My briefcase/knapsack contains my ThinkPad, Blackberry, iPod nano; Bose QC2 headphones and the scores for the Debusssy Preludes (Bk I) and Shostakovich PC 2.

#505603 - 01/15/08 05:55 PM Re: Your occupation!
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm a professional artist (www.peytonart.com) and a professional telemark skier nicknamed 'Biff' (www.netelemark.com). I make my money painting and lose it skiing. \:D

#505604 - 01/15/08 11:11 PM Re: Your occupation!
classik51 Offline

Loc: Canada
My, and I thought my life was busy! It's amazing how you all manage to find time for music. I think I like sleeping too much for that ;\) .

#505605 - 01/16/08 12:35 AM Re: Your occupation!
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Senior in High School.

But as a part time job I teach Taekwondo.

#505606 - 01/16/08 03:31 PM Re: Your occupation!
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Stanza:
I am a clinical embryologist (i.e. test tube baby doctor).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any relation between your profession and your avatar?

My profession? I worked for 30 years in all kind of jobs in education at highschools: teacher, career counselor, manager, coordinator....and still going strong. Living near Groningen in the Netherlands (Europe)

Best regards,
Johan

You picked up on that! I do try not to fry any eggs, or break any yolks...
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#505607 - 01/16/08 03:39 PM Re: Your occupation!
TimTheRookie Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I am an EIT (Engineer in training). When the state of Massachusetts deems me ready for the professional exam I will be a civil engineer (provided I pass the exam).

#505608 - 01/16/08 03:48 PM Re: Your occupation!
gpiu Offline

Loc: sf bay area
Interesting thread...Myself I am an electrical engineer working in a technology company in silicon valley.
Besides IT professionals, I am a little surprised there are not more engineers or people with backgrounds in physics/math in the forum. While in grad school, I would say ~10% of the students were actually proficient with the piano or violin.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (36251, ajames, AndresD, aDino, 38 invisible), 1769 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156282 Topics
2295201 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
07/30/14 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission