2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#505970 08/02/01 03:30 AM
P
Pianth Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello,

I've been taking piano since the age of 5 and I am now 16 years old. I never had the proper guidance until now. My first teacher and I had a good relationship, but she never stressed things to me such as counting and theory. Therefore, I did not know how to count! I somehow managed to go on playing with my own sense of rythym. My second teacher was very harsh and she too did not properly guide me or stress counting even though my past teacher mentioned to her I could not count! Her harshness and lack of motivation towards me eventually made see no light. Although I still took lessons from her, I learned nothing...zilch...So while I was frequenting her house she still got her overpriced charge and all I recieved was dread! Now, about year ago I found the teacher of my dreams, she has stressed to me the importance of counting and I'm finally learning to adapt to somewhat new method of playing and I love it so much. I have never felt so passionately about music until now. My question is, is it too late for me? After 10 years of hardship and lack of guidance, is it too late for me to play the piano at a skillfull level? I really love the piano and I'm concerned that it might be too late for me...I still have 2 more years of guidance under her and I'm practicing very hard to accumulate the theory and skills that were robbed from me in the past. I want this very bad...

Also, are there any tips you can provide me on improving? I would like as much feed back as possible...

Thank you,

Pianth

soul
J
Joe Offline
J
Check out the 'Pianists we admire who started late' thread just below, there's a lot of good reading there. I think the most important factor is your drive and desire. If you want it enough, you will be able to do it.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
well, i'm 16 this year, and i only started playing piano last year. before that i was playing organ and other keyboard instruments, but never piano. and i feel it's not too late for me, so it definitely shouldn't be for u... like Joe said, if u have drive and desire, u can go anywhere...=]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
its never too late especially if you love the instrument...as you obviously do, you have the rest of your entire life to learn the piano, thats a lot of years of pleasure.. you'll be fine
best of luck

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission