2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
A tenth, comfortably. An 11th on the edge of the keys. My hands are so little. frown

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Little??? I wouldln't say that was little.

I can reach a ninth comfortably - a tenth at a push.

x

x Caroline x
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Can reach an octave - that's 8 keys.

Where can I buy artificial "Finger Extenders"?

laugh

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeanne W:

laugh

Jeanne W
artificial fingernails might work

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Tenth with the left. Ninth with the right. Left has become more stretched, because it is more often required. I have small hands, and neither of these intervals is really comfortable with me. Hasn't stopped me from playing the piano these last 46 years.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Jeanne W:

laugh

Jeanne W
Have you talked to Fred and George Weasley? I hear they did wonderful things for the ears, and may be able to help.... :p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Derulux:
A tenth, comfortably. An 11th on the edge of the keys. My hands are so little. frown
Oh please! :rolleyes: If I could only reach a tenth comfortably, I would be satisfied - why must men always be bigger and stronger than this frail little lady? frown

lallie
My oldest boy, nine, can strecth an octave; I was quite surprised when I saw it considering he's a very small kid. Getting him to practice, well that's another story.

i can get a tenth with a little stretching, but im fairly comfortable with a tenth anyway...i can stretch and get and 11th...

...when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
IF you want to to pefect your chords over extended positions there is a definately optimal course of action. Find the score for chopin's 10\11 etude and practice it slowly( then speed it up). As you learn this study you will quickly realize that small hands have thier advantages. In fact, the extended position rolled arpeggios in this study are truly amazing under the fingers of small hands. Ya see, the smaller your hands are, the more you have to learn to rock your hands effectively, and this truly brings out the swaying nature of this piece. My mom has little elf hands, and you should see/hear her play this piece. The way her hands act like waves is a really an unbelievable sight to see. This piece is often brutalized by large hands(kinda like I brutalized it with my large hands awhile back). Since the reach is easier, not enough attention is given to the even roll of the hand. Since the only way people with small hands can touch this piece is to perfect the eveness of the rolling action required in this piece, they play it much better IMO. Definately though, do not worry about small hands. Just practice alot the things you have trouble with i.e. rolled chords. A good rolled chord is almost undectectable if it's executed properly.

JOHN
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I can reach a 10th comfortably in both hands, and octaves equally comfy between my 1st and 2nd fingers, which is great for legato octave passages since I can literally walk down the octaves between the upper part of my hand. My teachers are amazed at my handspan.

I agree with you bach enthusiast. The people with the smaller hands tend to play these pieces much nicer, Perhaps we're so smug with our large hands that we pounce on the cords rather than approaching them in a more planned and delicate manner.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
well, i kinda got discouraged at first, b/c my hands were rather small and i couldn't really reach an octave, plus my fingers weren't really strong. this was this past Feburary, and i have to say that i've improved since then. i didn't strengthen and stretched my hands through excercises; i think that's foolishness and a waste of time. that just came with time and practicing.

since i'm self-taught, [not classically-trained, mind you; i'm content with playing popularized arrangements, some with classical influences] i'm on the computer a lot, so i strengthen my fingers through typing for hours. i just stretched them thorugh the little time that i DO have to practice [more or less than 2 hours, 3 to 6-7 days a week], since i don't have a piano at home, i have to make a long trek across town to have access to one.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission