2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#509119 01/28/04 11:47 PM
V
OP Offline
V
I'm listening to Reflections from the Keyboard tonight, and the program is absolutely fantastic. The performances are wonderful, especially Koji Attwood! Hi, Koji! And of course, David Dubal, host and impresario, is indubitably Dubalesque. smile

#509120 01/29/04 12:24 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I've been listening, too, and here are my impressions. (You can hear Reflections from the Keyboard at 10:00PM EST at http://www.wqxr.com ). I think my favorites tonight were the Scarlatti Sonata in B minor and the Liszt Impromptu written in 1872.

Schumann: Op. 133 No. 1
This is the first of a set of "Early Morning Songs", written by Schumann immediately before insanity consumed him. This particular piece is very slow and hymn-like.

The first pianist: Daniel Leavy. The second was new to Reflections, Edith Picht Axenfield. Between the two I preferred Axenfield's performance. It was smoother, more intimate.

Earl Wild: Transcription (Etude) of George Gershwin's "Embraceable You"

First pianist: Carol Gerstein (a man). Second pianist: Earl Wild himself. Wild's performance was definitely the better of the two. More "style". And Wild's playing was cleaner, making the melody line sing out better. Plus, the few sections performed without pedal added texture. However, Gerstein's performance was still very good. I just preferred Wild's interpretation. Dubal (who introduced Wild as "Earl 'the Pearl' Wild!) said Wild was the first pianist to play Rhapsody in Blue with Toscanini.

Rachmaninoff: Gigue from his transcription of Bach's partita for solo violin

Last week Dubal featured the Gavotte from this transcription. Anyway, tonight the Gigue was played by three pianists: Adam Skomal, Rachmaninoff himself, and a third pianist whose name I missed. Of the three, I like Rach's performance the best; it was cleanest. But interestingly, only Rach's performance omitted the final repeat.

Scarlatti: K. 27 B minor Sonata
First pianist: Ann Kafalik (French) -- A beautifully sensitive, lyrical reading, with wonderful dynamics and clean pedaling. (Did she use the una corda in some places?)
Second pianist: Koji Atwood. Played much more quickly than the first pianist. He added a B minor chord at the end! Probably closer to the "real" tempo, but I really liked the slower, more sensitive reading.

Chopin: Etude Op. 10 No. 7
First pianist: Ruth Slenzenska. Very, very clean, nearly no pedal. But a little bit of mechanical feel.
Second pianist: Robert Lortat (French; died 1938, recording from 1931). Slightly faster than Slenzenska. Includes some mistakes!
Third pianist: Brazilian pianist (lost my internet connection during this performance!) OK, but not that impressive.
Fourth pianist: Andre Gavrilov --- I think I liked his performance the best!

Now for encores:

Alcan (1813-1888): Barcarolle
Dubal referred to Alcan as a "visionary romantic". The pianist was Mark Salmon. Subdued piece, introspective. Somewhat unusual melody against the harmonies, lending a bit of exotic feel in places.

Charles Lamb: Patricia Rag
Pianist: Virginia Eskin. Nice rag, not particularly outstanding.

Liszt: Impromptu (subtitled Nocturne), composed late, in 1872
Pianist: Arnoldo Cohen (Brazilian born). This is not a fluff piece. Some unusual harmonic turns. Definitely worth hearing again.

Prokofiev: "Playing Tag", from The Children's Music, and also "March" from the same
The pianist is the same as last week, the Russian Igor Zhukov. Really nice pieces, capturing the spirit of the titles.

Chris

#509121 01/29/04 01:05 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ah...Schumann Op. 133#1 is one of my favorites.

And I had the pleasure of hearing Zhukov live a few years ago. Really amazing.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#509122 01/29/04 10:42 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Oops,

Thanks for the correction, Kreisler: Op. 133 for Schumann, not Op. 33. I've edited my posting accordingly.

Chris

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission