Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#509862 - 12/07/06 05:19 PM Fingering in LvB Op. 7
ctnski Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
For anyone who has mastered Beethoven's piano sonata no. 4 in Eb (1st movement): what fingering do you use for the legato octaves, mm. 85-92. Overall, I find Schenker's fingerings very helpful. His propensity for using 1-3 in octaves, however, can be a bit of a stretch, especially white-to-white. Should I just play these octaves with 1-5 and 1-4 and a judicious use of pedal? I realize that fingering is very personal but I just wondered what others were doing here.

Much obliged for your thoughts.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#509863 - 12/07/06 05:31 PM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Craig,

I wouldn't say that I have mastered this work as such, but I do play it quite often and have spent an hour's lesson on the 1st movement with my teacher a year ago or so, after I had spent a goodly while preparing it for inspection, as it were. In the measures you quote, I used the 1-3/1-4-/1-5 combinations suggested in the Henle edition, which I found OK-ish for my hand, but certainly not particularly easy or comfortable.

However in discussion with my teacher on this very passage, he suggested that with the una corda pedal engaged (those bars are marked pianissimo after all), and a light touch, one can be really quite generous with the damper pedal such that the result is more than acceptable even if one plays the octaves almost in portato fashion (using the usual 1-5 white notes, 1-4 black note style fingering), certainly better than a badly-executed attempt at legato. I tried it out during our lesson and, as usual, he was right \:\) .

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#509864 - 12/07/06 05:38 PM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
Shosti Offline

Loc: Boston
I've been working on this sonata and have performed the first movement a few times recently. I actually play them all 1-5 except for the black note ones, which are 1-4. I know this sounds odd, but my teacher recommended it, and it actually works very well now. The point is that although you won't get a true 'finger legato' this way, it is easier to get an extremely even tone this way. I do a kind of half-pedal on top and it creates a nice sounding legato. When I practice this passage, I try to lift my fingers as little as possible.

#509865 - 12/07/06 06:36 PM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
ctnski Offline

Michael and Shosti,

Thanks for both your replies. I too find it much more comfortable using 1-5 with 1-4 on the black keys. I am practicing it now una corda. It does sound lovely that way! Isn't this great, being able to converse across continents with those amicable to our pursuits of happiness?

Thanks again.

#509866 - 12/08/06 12:42 AM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ctnski:
Isn't this great, being able to converse across continents with those amicable to our pursuits of happiness?
Indeed. And here's a hello from the other side of the pond.

My Tovey edition asks for the 4th finger only on black notes, which for a normal sized hand seems fair enough. A larger hand could throw in the 3rd finger on occasion, but it risks strain. One pianist I knew always used 1-5 on octaves, but I think that only worked for her. In quieter passages -as opposed to the octave volleys in the Tchaikovsky concerto- using the 4th finger (or 3rd) on black notes makes more sense.

Ultimately, take a look at Beethoven's phrasing and the dynamic levels. Sing those passages to yourself as you would wish to interpret them. Find a fingering that matches what you silently heard. It will work because your hands are as unique as you are as a person.

Hope that helps.

#509867 - 12/08/06 09:27 AM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
I performed this piece several times, and used it for auditions. I used 1-5, and 1-4 for black keys with half pedalling or flutter pedalling - depending on the piano.

#509868 - 12/08/06 01:09 PM Re: Fingering in LvB Op. 7
ctnski Offline

Jason & Phlebas,

Thanks too for your comments. It would appear I can leave the 1-3 octave fingering for hands larger than my own. I can make the stretch, but not rapidly. Much better, I presume, to have the passage flow evenly and spritely.

Jason, I agree with you regarding finding a fingering that will produce for you the sound you are hearing in your head. I would like to offer the following for the opening 5-note figure in the left hand in the Menuetto of LvB Op. 2/1: 3-4, 2-1 (2 on Bb), 3-4, 1-5, 3-4. This feels non-intuitive at first, but after much playing around I settled on it as the best way to get these thirds running smoothly.

Speaking of London, I just got my Oxford Univ. Press edition of the Bach-Hess chorale, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." Talk about some fingering! I played it through with my right hand only and got a severe cramp. (Reminds me of the first time I played Schubert D. 946/2, the middle section in Ab minor--yikes!) Then I listened to both Myra and Dinu playing this through. Such felicity! I have some catching up to do. So lovely though, I cannot put it away, nor get it out of my head.

Ciao!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (angelsong, Akshay, 36251, adanepst, Asmodeus, ando, 21 invisible), 1223 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission