Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#509950 - 11/11/07 06:15 PM Your best moment at the piano?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
What was your best moment ever at the piano? Mine was in 1990 when I studied with a Steinway Concert Artist, Brian Brooks in Fl. He was off tour and teaching in a Steinway dealership in the teaching studios. I was a bit nervous about performing for him. After I played for him the first time he wrote on my sheet music." Excellent." This meant so much to me. He was a true blessing to me as my piano teacher. Sandy B

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#509951 - 11/11/07 06:54 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
As of now it is probably when I performed some pieces for a Julliard professor in a master class a few years back. I was preparing some pieces for a competition (a Beethoven sonata and a Chopin Etude).

He gave me extra time, and according to my teacher, spoke of me very highly at a piano teacher's meeting the next day. To me, that was a great honor, and it really helped boost my self confidence. Before, I was a little bit insecure about my playing, but to hear the kind things he said really boosted me self-esteem.

#509952 - 11/11/07 07:13 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Aviator1010110 Offline

Loc: United States
That's easy. A little over one year ago I was performing and I just felt like I "clicked" with that audience. I actually felt like I was feeding emotions and they were lapping it up wanting more! After the concert I was leaving out a side door from backstage and a complete stranger came up and gave me the best compliment I've ever received:

He didn't say "you play like (insert famous name here)", or "your technique was good".

He said "I never really liked that piece (talking about a certain piece), but tonight I felt[/b] something special in it. Thanks".

That's what it's all about. Those moments in music, no matter how fleeting, are worth it.

#509953 - 11/11/07 07:50 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
My best moment, was when I was about 15, a year or so before my grandfather died, and he came downstairs while I was practicing (I was playing the Songs of Travel by Vaughan Williams) and he said, "You know, you really sound good." That meant the world to me and encourages me to this day.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#509954 - 11/11/07 09:12 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
bryan s Offline

Loc: new york
This afternoon when I played through John Coltrane's "Lonnie's Lament" and took probably my best improv ever over the changes. I was flyin'!

#509955 - 11/11/07 09:53 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

ignore double post

#509956 - 11/11/07 09:54 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

My best moments are always alone, usually playing Chopin Bach or Ravel.

#509957 - 11/11/07 10:01 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
IpsoPhatso Offline

I've had my best playing moments when I've been alone; most specifically practicing on a beautiful Kawai grand at my college's art building. I was all alone at about 3AM (I couldn't sleep) in a wonderful acoustically tuned room playing that thing... I couldn't believe some of the Chopin works I was playing. I couldn't believe it was ME! \:\)

As far as best moment with an audience; definitely in highschool. I played the 3rd movement of the moonlight, (pretty sloppily I might add) for my peers in the piano class. It meant a lot to me because I have always been shy, but I was able to open up to people quite a bit after that performance. They kinda looked up to me. \:\)

#509958 - 11/11/07 10:24 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
After losing a competition in 1992, one of the judges came up to me and said "You know, the winner had a stronger overall program, but the most beautiful single piece we heard today from anyone was your Eb minor Prelude and Fugue."
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#509959 - 11/12/07 08:42 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
One Saturday afternoon I was at a music shop, the kind that sells guitars, band instruments, and pianos. I sit down at a small upright to check it out and played the first couple of pages of the Moonlight Sonata third mmt. I turned to the man sitting at a desk behind and commented on how nice the piano sounded. He said he agreed and he had just bought it! I said "Oh, I am sorry.." he said "No, no, it was wonderful...I'll never play that well, but you have made me very happy to hear how good my new piano can sound!
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#509960 - 11/12/07 03:49 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
IpsoPhatso Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stanza:
One Saturday afternoon I was at a music shop, the kind that sells guitars, band instruments, and pianos. I sit down at a small upright to check it out and played the first couple of pages of the Moonlight Sonata third mmt. I turned to the man sitting at a desk behind and commented on how nice the piano sounded. He said he agreed and he had just bought it! I said "Oh, I am sorry.." he said "No, no, it was wonderful...I'll never play that well, but you have made me very happy to hear how good my new piano can sound! [/b]
:D

That's a great story! I bet that indeed made him feel very good about his purchase to see the potential of his new piano.

#509961 - 11/12/07 03:57 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
During my teen years, I played the Mozart D minor Fantasy and the Rachmaninov G minor Prelude for a competition -- one of the rare times when my playing in public was both note-perfect (I kid you not!) and inspired.
Nowadays my best moments are when playing alone (did a fiery and almost note-perfect Tempest third movement today), but hopefully the opportunity to perform will come about sooner or later...
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#509962 - 11/27/07 09:13 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
S.Thian Offline

Loc: Kuching, Malaysia
My best time in front of a piano is while playing alone pieces which suit my feeling at that moment.

Anyway, I enjoy playing in church with choirs singing too...like playing in heaven (don't care about the audience,of course).

#509963 - 11/27/07 09:35 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
My best moment at the piano is whenever I'm at the piano playing! Although I've played in church and "on stage" (talent contests) each time I sit at the piano is the best time (no matter how well or how poorly I play).

Ed

YouTube Channel

#509964 - 11/28/07 11:16 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I have two favorite piano memories. The first was when I was in college. studying with the chairman of the piano faculty. He had studied with Irwin Freundlich at Juilliard, and he invited his teacher down to Duke to give a master class. I played Debussy's Ondine. To this day, i've never played anything better. Hard work and inspiration came together, and it felt wonderful from beginning to end. When I finished, Freundlich turned to the crowd and said, "Now THAT is how Debussy should be played! Congratulations, young man." I floated home.

The other high point was at a benefit recital,
where I played the Prelude and Fugue in C# minor from WTC I and Earl Wild's Fantasy on Themes from Porgy and Bess. Here too, the music took over and carried me along. At the end, people stood and cheered. Even my teenaged sons were impressed, and they're a rough crowd.

Moments like these are rare, but they make the work completely worth it.

#509965 - 11/29/07 01:14 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
debussy's ondine???rather ravel's ondine

#509966 - 11/29/07 01:36 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Amelialw:
debussy's ondine???rather ravel's ondine [/b]
Debussy - Ondine (Preludes bk 2)

#509967 - 11/29/07 02:10 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
oh, ok

#509968 - 11/29/07 02:19 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Well, there have been more than just one. One of the more interesting ones happened many many years ago when I played the first movement of the Waldstein in a bar in New Mexico, on a terrible old upright. Considering everything, it went surprisingly well. I played with a good deal of spirit, and the sort of rowdy crowd seemed to like it more than I thought they would, staying mostly quiet while I played and giving noisy approval when I was done. But here's the important part: hearing it apparently was some kind of life-changing event for one guy who came up and simply begged me to play it again. He said he'd never heard anything like that before in his life, it was the most incredible thing he'd ever heard, etc., etc. He was really sort of raving - I thought at first he was just drunk, but realized that wasn't really the case, it was just that old magic music rapture, which I'd experienced myself. I told him I thought probably most people there really didn't want to hear it again. But he started to get almost desperate, and started offering me any amount of money or anything else I wanted!! I finally relented and played it again, but of course, the second time wasn't as good as the first. But anyway, the music really got to that guy in a special way, at least on the first go around, and I've always been fond of that particular memory. I felt weird about possibly looking like I was trying to take advantage of him (although he seemed well-off) and just accepted a $10 tip (which was worth a bit more back then - I think it was 1969 when this happened).

wr

#509969 - 11/29/07 06:53 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Loc: home
I can't think of much specific. I usually play best and enjoy playing home alone where I can feel free to express myself and am away from distractions like my idiot brother.

#509970 - 11/29/07 09:59 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
when i was a kid i won a competition and played in a performance recital.. Ronda alla Turca.

i was near the end. i played it perfectly... i was so proud of myself.. i had sped thru the passages with nary a blimp..

that was the moment.

then, i played the final chord.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#509971 - 11/29/07 10:11 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I played at a state level competition in Florida while in high school. I played fine, but didn't win. Another student who played the same piece actually won. At our year end recital given at the U. of Miami (my teacher was a prof. there) that student's teacher (who is a very prominent teacher in Miami) came up to mine and said that she had no idea how her student had managed to win the competition over me. At that time I didn't have a lot of confidence. My training and work ethic up to about age 15 had been sporadic, but then I switched to the university prof., whose expectations were huge and whose reputation frankly scared me. I buckled down and worked harder than I ever had before. That single comment changed the way I looked at myself.

P.S. Apple, that's a great story. I'll bet lots of folks can empathize with that one.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#509972 - 11/29/07 03:39 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
In 1983, during an improvisation, which had started well, a theme suddenly came out of the blue and carried me along with it inexorably to its conclusion, as if I were a spectator, a conduit in the process, watching my hands acting independently, as if in one of those lucid dreams. At the end, my wife rushed into the room saying, "What the hell was that ? Have you got the tape recorder on ?"

Of course, since then, I have been able to generate the sensations at will most (but not all) of the time. However, that first experience, the intensity of it, was a revelation.

I don't bother taking any notice of praise, especially from musicians, and usually choose to forget it. However, after I had played for my father, shortly before he died, he said, "Bloody mystery to me how I ever had a son who could do that." I choose to remember that one.

#509973 - 11/29/07 08:47 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
When I was in high school I had a couple of moments. The first was during my sophmore year. I did a performance of French music for my French II class. Every piece I played, came out note perfect and flowed from my fingers even though I was no nervous my knees were glued under the keybed of the Baldwin grand! In the end, the local newspaper did a picture session and I made it on the front page of the local rag.

Another time was at the Chamber Music Weekend program at Phillips Andover. I was given some piano duet pieces by Diabelli to play. I had about 3 days to work on them because I received the music late even though I studied up at the academy. I cranked through the pieces and had them pretty comfortable under my fingers. I met the other pianist on Friday afternoon, and we practiced all day Saturday for a flawless performance on Sunday. I did so well that my teacher, who rarely complimented me on anything, came over after the performance and gave me a hug.

John

#509974 - 11/29/07 11:53 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Best moment at the piano is sashaying into the office to pick up the paycheck...

#509975 - 11/30/07 12:04 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
computerpro3 Offline

Loc: Connecticut/Cincinnati
Getting a compliment from my teacher, who's got quite the reputation for giving the brutal truth.

#509976 - 11/30/07 01:55 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
STEAVEN PAIK Offline

Loc: Seoul, South Korea
When I played pieces perfectly after practicing it for few month. When everybody appluse at the stage I felt greT!!

#509977 - 12/01/07 02:32 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Lynn:
Best moment at the piano is sashaying into the office to pick up the paycheck...
Auntie Lynn, you can be so funny at times... another treasured member on the forum.

This has been a fun thread to read, and yes, I'm coming in a bit late.

I'll never forget one of my best moments at the piano. Back at uni my piano teacher had a bit of a soirée at her home for some of her better students. Before devouring the massive amounts of food and drink, she talked a fair amount about the Schoenberg Piano Concerto.

Then without warning she put the score on the piano and asked us to try sight reading it. I was third in line. (Jason was shaking. )

But I've always been a good sight reader (trade off: I can't play at all well by ear) and somehow my fingers just landed on the right notes. No one else would have known one way or the other, but my piano teacher knew.

Okay, obviously I didn't play it up to speed -and I just played a few pages- but it certainly impressed a fellow student whom I'd always been "interested" in. It definitely changed the dynamics of the evening subsequently.

Per a recent thread (atonality/no sense of key), I've never since had any interest in that concerto, but it was still a fun moment. It took my mind off the struggles I was concurrently having with some Chopin.

#509978 - 12/01/07 07:04 PM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My best moment was last March I played performed the Mozart Fantasia in D minor, it has never sounded as good since.

Matt

#509979 - 12/04/07 10:33 AM Re: Your best moment at the piano?
emopiano Offline

Loc: Botswana
well i was playing the raindrops prelude (chopin) in a piano practice and it just felt so amazing...i was gonna move country and leave my piano teacher and this was about 2 weeks before i left...
i had like basically learnt the whole piece and was just playing it...

and when im alone...
some insane moments ive had:)
\:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
10 minutes 33 seconds ago
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
Yesterday at 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
Yesterday at 06:30 PM
Who's Online
92 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1220 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157940 Topics
2319460 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission