2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello, I am an adult piano student hoping to devote more time to playing. I have been checking out the forums for quite a while (year or so) first time posting.

Question on Mendelssohn Rondo capriccioso Opus 14
measure 148 on my score (urtext) shows staccato but not 149, 150 and 151. Should they also be staccato?

also love to play (not that I really love mende, first piece I have tackled)
Chopin
Scriabin
Schumann

thanks for your help

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'm not the familiar piece, but if the notes in those measures (149-151) are in a pattern similar to measure 148, they should most likely be played in the same way unless it is denoted otherwise. Oftentimes I see composers and publishers leave out markings such as this since it's considered to be understood. Of course I don't have the score in front of me, so I could be totally wrong =o)

N
OP Offline
N
Yes, they are in the same pattern. Thanks so much.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nice piece of music.

I've got an old Schirmer edition and meaures 148 - 153 are all marked staccato. 148 and 149 are piano. 150 is crescendo. 152 is forte.
Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The free version off of piano.ru lists them all as staccato, though I'm not sure who the publisher is on that. I've always played these measures as all staccato.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
A
A
Hi, sorry if I sound irrelevant, I want to discuss about the same piece but a different aspect of it. I am playing this piece, Rondo Capriccioso Op. 14 and both my private as well as school music teachers have heard it and gave me different opinions about the interpretation of the piece so I'm kind of confused as to how I should play it. My private teacher told me that I should be more daring with my rubato in the first part(Andante) and when I played with more rubato for my school music teacher, he said I should not rubato so much as Mendelssohn's style is quite classical. Hope someone can enlighten me as to how I should play it. Thanks.

Yours truly
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by applecidar:
Hi, sorry if I sound irrelevant, I want to discuss about the same piece but a different aspect of it. I am playing this piece, Rondo Capriccioso Op. 14 and both my private as well as school music teachers have heard it and gave me different opinions about the interpretation of the piece so I'm kind of confused as to how I should play it. My private teacher told me that I should be more daring with my rubato in the first part(Andante) and when I played with more rubato for my school music teacher, he said I should not rubato so much as Mendelssohn's style is quite classical. Hope someone can enlighten me as to how I should play it. Thanks.
Certainly Mendelssohn doesn't require the same amount of freedom that might be permissible in Chopin, Schumann or Liszt but neither should he be played coldly or metronomically. Are you sure you didn't go overboard on your private teacher's suggestion and start pulling the piece around to excess, thus occasioning your school teacher's advice.

A
A
I'm not very sure about that. Do you know of any good recording of the piece which shows an accurate interpretation of it?

Yours truly
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not very sure about that. Do you know of any good recording of the piece which shows an accurate interpretation of it?
Well, there's no "one way" to play a piece so I suggest you have a listen to the various interpretations on You tube (of which I've just checked a few). For my part, Pletnev overdoes the emoting and shoots his bolt too soon...after all the Andante is only an introduction, albeit a lovely one, to the Rondo which forms the bulk of the work. Cziffra seems to me to judge its scale better, and although he's expressive he doesn't go over the top.

A
A
Ok, thanks for the advice:)

Yours truly
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't know whether you're working on enough pieces to do this, but I'd recommend working on completely different repertoire with each teacher. I tried studying the same pieces under two teachers at once, and much of the experience was wasted because of the mutually incompatible suggestions they gave me.

I
I
also love to play (not that I really love mende, first piece I have tackled)

Welcome to the forums Nocturne Gracie!. The Rondo Cappricioso is an extremely difficult piece - I'm assuming you're a returning adult piano student?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I would agree that the rubato in the first section should be tempered by the fact that Mendelssohn was a very early "romantic" composer.

If you can find it, listen to the Perahia recording. I think he gets it just right. He plays it just like I did when I was 13-14 (only a WHOLE lot better!!).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wdot:
I would agree that the rubato in the first section should be tempered by the fact that Mendelssohn was a very early "romantic" composer.

If you can find it, listen to the Perahia recording. I think he gets it just right. He plays it just like I did when I was 13-14 (only a WHOLE lot better!!).
He was barely older than Schumann, Chopin and Liszt. However it's true that by temperament, association and training he showed more affinity with the older "Early romantic" school of Moscheles, Hummel et.al, than did his great contemporaries. Wagner expressed the opinion that no one expressed the external beauty of things into music as well as Mendelssohn, but, for all that, he felt that, and for all his gifts, Mendelssohn failed to move his listeners to the depths of the soul and painted only the appearance of sentiment and not the sentiment itself. Of course, Wagner was a proponent of the "music of the future" and I, for one, cannot entirely agree with him even though I recognise an element of truth in his remarks. But perhaps his summation of Mendelssohn might be borne in mind when preparing an interpretation in order that the sentiment isn't larded too thickly on the music...as I feel Pletnev does in his recording of the Andante in question.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission