2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bassio:
Found it on a site, thought to share it with you

Interview with Rachmaninoff

TEN IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTES OF BEAUTIFUL PIANOFORTE PLAYING (Especially secured for THE ETUDE (March 1910) from an interview with Sergei Vassily Rachmaninoff, Supervisor General of the Imperial Conservatories of Russia)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. FORMING THE PROPER CONCEPTION OF A PIECE
This is the thing for which Rachmaninoff was highly known. Large-scale structure understanding. This gives music its soul.
II. TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY
Russia. Henselt?s studies are so beautiful that they should rather be classed with pieces like the studies of Chopin.
I'll look into Henselt.. but more important is the idea that Technical Proficiency is essential. You cannot play adequately unless you have the technique.

III. PROPER PHRASING
Goes with musicality, largescale structure, etc. Just basically required to give the music direction, make it flow, and make it mean something

IV. REGULATING THE TEMPO

You just can't let your tempo go.
My teacher taught me that you need to learn it solidly, perfectly cleanly, with the same tone and volume on every note. When it is learned that way, then you can begin to feel it in pulses, as in feel each beat and each measure. After that, you construct phrases. After phrases, you construct larger phrases and after that, sections in the work. Then expressiveness where needed, accents, etc. Work up tempo in the clean solid way. If you can't play it and *know* that your fingers will go to the right keys every time and control your tone and volume to have the same on each note, then you won't be able to properly control them at tempo. At the very least it will be reliable.
After this, when you have it at speed , you insert balance thumb , apply the right tone, the pulse, the character, pedal, musical understanding, and, of course, the "Magic Spark."
She was worried about my practice habits and we went in detail about it. After learning that you don't just sightread it and fix the mistakes, this method is much faster and more reliable than what I had been doing. It works quite well and I am learning pieces much faster and better.

V. CHARACTER IN PLAYING
As above

VI. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PEDAL

Partial pedals, etc. I need to investigate this further. This description of Chopin Sonata is interesting.

VII. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF CONVENTION

This is the reason for their gigantic musical prominence. Their greatness was not the hollow shell of acquired
technique. THEY KNEW. Oh, for more students in these days with the genuine thirst for real musical knowledge, and not merely with the desire to make a superficial exhibition at the keyboard!
This is great! This is what the attitude of a genuine student should be. We don't really want a superficial exhibition on the piano- we want great music. We want to feel its power.

VIII. REAL MUSICAL UNDERSTANDING
Fairly straightforward, and of course, correct.

IX. PLAYING TO EDUCATE THE PUBLIC

The virtuoso must have some far greater motive than that of playing for gain. He has a mission, and that mission is to educate the public. It is quite as necessary for the sincere student in the home to carry on this educational work. For this reason it is to his advantage to direct his efforts toward pieces which he feels will be of musical educational advantage to his friends. In this he must use judgment and not overstep their intelligence too far. With the virtuoso it is somewhat
different. He expects, and even demands, from his audience a certain grade of musical taste, a certain degree of musical education. Otherwise he would work in vain. If the public would enjoy the greatest
in music they must hear good music until these beauties become evident. It would be useless for the virtuoso to attempt a concert tour in the heart of Africa. The virtuoso is expected to give his best, and he
should not be criticized by audiences that have not the mental capacity to appreciate his work. The virtuosos look to the students of the world to do their share in the education of the great musical public. Do not waste your time with music that is trite, or ignoble. Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Saharas of musical trash.
That's why I don't play a lot of music I don't like.... laugh
THE VITAL SPARK

In all good pianoforte playing there is a vital spark that seems to make each interpretation of a masterpiece--a living thing. It exists only for the moment, and cannot be explained. For instance, two pianists of equal technical ability may play the same composition. With one the playing is dull, lifeless and sapless, with the other there is something that is indescribably wonderful. His playing seems fairly to quiver with life. It commands interest and inspires the audience. What is this vital spark that brings life to mere notes? In one way it may be called the intense artistic interest of the player. It is that astonishing thing known as inspiration. When the composition was originally written the composer was unquestionably inspired; when the
performer finds the same joy that the composer found at the moment the composition came into existence, then something new and different enters his playing. It seems to be stimulated and invigorated in a manner
altogether marvelous. The audience realizes this instantly, and will event sometimes forgive technical imperfections if the performance is inspired. Rubinstein was technically marvelous, and yet he admitted
making mistakes. Nevertheless, for every possible mistake he may have made, he gave, in return, ideas and musical tone pictures that would have made up for a million mistakes. When Rubinstein was over-exact his playing lost something of its wonderful charm. I remember that upon one occasion he was playing Balakireff?s ISLAMEY at a concert. Something
distracted his attention and he apparently forgot the composition entirely; but he kept on improvising in the style of the piece, and after about four minutes the remainder of the composition came back to him and he played it to the end correctly. This annoyed him greatly and he played the next number upon the program with the greatest exactness, but, strange to say, it lost the wonderful charm of the interpretation of the piece in which his memory had failed him. Rubinstein was really
incomparable, even more so perhaps because he was full of human impulse and his playing very far removed from mechanical perfection. While, of course, the student must play the notes, and all of the notes,
in the manner and in the time in which the composer intended that they should be played, his efforts should by no means stop with notes. Every individual note in a composition is important, but there is something quite as important as the notes, and that is the soul. After all, the vital spark is the soul. The soul is the source of that higher expression in music which cannot be represented in dynamic marks. The soul feels the need for the CRESCENDO and DIMINUENDOS intuitively. The
mere matter of the duration of a pause upon a note depends upon its significance, and the soul of the artist dictates to him just how long such a pause should be held. If the student resorts to mechanical rules
and depends upon them absolutely, his playing will be soulless. Fine playing requires much deep thought away from the keyboard. The student should not feel that when the notes have been played his task is
done. It is, in fact, only begun. He must make the piece a part of himself. Every note must awaken in him a kind of musical consciousness of his real artistic mission.
The is the pinnacle. The final mandate. This is what reaches deep and finalizes everything. T

I have a story about this last statement.

A scientist (Henry Eyring, Sr.) had a son who was in physics, and being a chemist, Eyring could help his son with his homework. One day they were working on a problem in the basement. They left it unfinished. A few days later, the son asked the dad for help on the problem again.

The dad was incredulous. He asked him what he was thinking about as he walked down the street and took his shower if he hadn't solved the problem. When he was told that the son didn't think about unsolved problems all the time, he then said something very important:

If you don't love physics enough that it is what you think about when you don't have to think about anything, then you should not go into physics.

And this applies to music. If you don't think about the music and how to shape and express it, show something, and say something with the music at the times when you have no obligations to think, then you aren't doing what is most important. (Now, you can think about music or you can think about physics. I recommend both. 2hearts )

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
But remember derulux, although rachmaninoff followed convention in composition, he was the first modernist as a pianist (that's maybe he only liked hofmann, the other modernist)
And in this article he is speaking about piano playing and not composing

Don't be harsh on the guy who wants to give us advice laugh , maybe he's just a russian-speaking man with poor english wink
\Alkan left an alto A beating against conflicting harmonies in one of his pieces. He was a modernist born ahead of his time. Then Busoni comes along. He wrong some rather modern things involving unique combinations of thirds.

However, Rachmaninoff's best and most inspired works are the good ones in old ways, like the first three concerti. The symphonic dances, I confess, sound uninspired.

S
S
Originally posted by Pumkinhead:
[b] The examiner states the speed and the metronome is started. The pupil is required, for instance, to play the E-flat major scale with the metronome at 120, eight notes to the beat. If he is successful in doing this, he is marked accordingly, and
other tests are given.
Do you think that that's the correct speed he meant? I mean, that is ridiculously fast, and I don't think I know any pianists personally who can. [/b]

S
S
Originally posted by ScrpPian:
[b]
[b] The examiner states the speed and the metronome is started. The pupil is required, for instance, to play the E-flat major scale with the metronome at 120, eight notes to the beat. If he is successful in doing this, he is marked accordingly, and
other tests are given.
Do you think that that's the correct speed he meant? I mean, that is ridiculously fast, and I don't think I know any pianists personally who can. [/b]
[/b]
oopd sorry about clicking 'add reply' before I'd done so...

Just wanted to say that it's quite possible to play at this speed, but NOT if you're only thinking 'fingers'. You must (like Rubinstein played) have enough awareness of tension/relaxation so that you can know where to drop the weight and then release and let the fingers fly loose to the next metronome beat. If this is true as I read it and they were actually using this test/exam in their proof of technical proficiency, i'm pleased because right there is the cure for how to NOT become injured.
ScrpPian
www.myspace.com/scrppian

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
quote:
The examiner states the speed and the metronome is started. The pupil is required, for instance, to play the E-flat major scale with the metronome at 120, eight notes to the beat. If he is successful in doing this, he is marked accordingly, and
other tests are given.
Do you think that that's the correct speed he meant? I mean, that is ridiculously fast, and I don't think I know any pianists personally who can.
Yes, that is what he means. It is fast, but advanced pianists can do that on a regular basis.

Hanon rules!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hakki:
quote:
The examiner states the speed and the metronome is started. The pupil is required, for instance, to play the E-flat major scale with the metronome at 120, eight notes to the beat. If he is successful in doing this, he is marked accordingly, and
other tests are given.
Do you think that that's the correct speed he meant? I mean, that is ridiculously fast, and I don't think I know any pianists personally who can.
Yes, that is what he means. It is fast, but advanced pianists can do that on a regular basis.

Hanon rules!
120 is fast, but not too difficult. All it really requires is a good technique and some practice. Also you need to think the scale in pulses (Feel the octave of notes as one continuous motion.) That makes it a lot easier to play quickly if you have developed the technique/skill/etc.

P
P
That is still ridiculously fast for me though. I don't think I'll ever be able to play them at that speed. At the moment, I can play them at 200, with four notes to the beat. That's still pretty fast, but not 120 with eight to the beat. Can any of you guys do the latter?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
At the moment, I can play them at 200, with four notes to the beat. That's still pretty fast, but not 120 with eight to the beat. Can any of you guys do the latter?
Yes, but not in all keys - those which use most or all of the black notes are much easier to execute at speed.

V
V
other tests are given.
Well, not so hard I think. I can do it...

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
That is still ridiculously fast for me though. I don't think I'll ever be able to play them at that speed. At the moment, I can play them at 200, with four notes to the beat. That's still pretty fast, but not 120 with eight to the beat. Can any of you guys do the latter?
Yes it is fast! as I said before. But it is not ridiculously fast.
I can do it. If you can play four notes at 200, sooner or later you will be able to play eight to 120 beat.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Wow. Thank you!

Hanon? I didn't start that until about a year or two ago. And now I use a different exercise.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
S
S
Again, it's about knowing where to drop your wrists and weight and where to relax and let them "float" so your fingers can 'fly' for lack of a better word. Make sense? Also see my previous posts on mind/body awareness. Feel free to write if you have no idea what I'm getting at...
ScrpPian
www.myspace.com/ScrpPian

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission