2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Greetings all,

Nearly a year ago the Los Angeles Philharmonic announced that Helene Grimaud would be performing a solo recital of in January 2007 at Walt Disney Hall.
The day of the recital, the Philharmonic Association called to announce that she had cancelled due to "a back injury."
The recital was then rescheduled for June 17th. After waiting six months, I was particularly excited to hear her last night... until she vanished mysteriously after the intermission and never returned!

Here's the chronology of events from my vantage point, seated in the first row of the behind-the-stage seating:

After the audience has been seated, a voice over a loudspeaker announces a program change;
Mme Grimaud will no longer be doing the Rachmaninoff 2nd Sonata, but will instead to the Brahms No. 2.

So the program will be:

Bach-Busoni Chaconne
Chopin Berceuse and Barcarolle

Intermission

Brahms Rhapsodies, Op 79
Brahms 2nd Sonata

At last, after six months, Mme Grimaud enters the stage to overwhelming applause and the loud shrieks/cheers of her rather cult-like following.

She smiles modestly and sits at the piano and the audience responds with the expected instant hush... at which point, not surprisingly, a cell phone goes off! (thankfully, it was before she'd played a note)

Mme Grimaud waits patiently before launching into an extremely compelling reading of the Bach-Busoni Chaconne which the audience answers with thundering applause, cheers, and some attempts at a standing ovation.

Mme Grimaud then proceeds with an enjoyable and sensitive rendition of the Berceuse before immediately launching into the Barcarolle without giving the audience time to interrupt her concentration with more thunderous applause.

Near the end of the Barcarolle, in one of the particularly thorny spots, Mme Grimaud plays a couple of audible clunkers, after which she appears to zip through the remainder of the piece with an apparent lack of interest or concentration.

She wastes little time sustaining the final chord for very long before she stands and walks straight off the stage, never to return.

After an agonizing two minutes of lights illuminating an empty stage, the house lights come back on and we all assume that we've made it to the intermission.

After seating ourselves again, a nervous man emerges from the wings to read a press statement:

"Due to illness, Miss Grimaud will be unable to finish her performance this evening. A representative from Audience Services will contact you by telephone within the next few days." eek

Suspecting that Miss Grimaud has simply caught an incurable strain of what Glenn Gould described as "Emperoritus", my companion and I walk out of the hall rather disgruntled, before we are nearly trampled by a bunch of burly EMT's carrying oxygen tanks, masks, and walkie-talkies. As they climb into their ambulance, my companion politely asks: "Were you here treating Miss Grimaud?" The EMT in the passenger seat frowns and looks around as if he's not supposed to tell us anything before he nods an affirmation and slams the door.

Anybody know what happened? eek

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know what happened but the following link does talk about her contracting a form of pneumonia and resulting chronic fatigue syndrome. It sounds quite serious and debilitating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/a...p;ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
OP Offline
Yikes. That does NOT sound good frown

C
C
Somebody on this forum complained about her playing a few days ago. Maybe she was sick already at that concert?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
----

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow... That sounds dangerous. She's pretty young, too.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
R
R
I tried to make it three times to a concert of hers in Holland in the late nineties. Each time she had called off at the last minute. Three times! I don't try giong to her concerts anymore.
She's mentally a bit uhmmm different from most people. She likes wolves (yes) over people. And said she does not have any sexual feelings what so ever.
I prefer pianists who play according to plan.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
No sexual feelings? I doubt that, probably less but i doubt none at all. Probably she is just trying to make herself look more eccentric. But how many eccentric pianists still make it to their own concerts?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TheMadMan86:
No sexual feelings? I doubt that, probably less but i doubt none at all. Probably she is just trying to make herself look more eccentric.
Are these known facts or just idle speculation?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
No sexual feelings at all???

There go my plans for next June frown

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Well, she keeps all those wolves; maybe they had a little dust-up...

Too bad, she was one of the more glamorous out there...looks great in all that Jean Paul Gaultier...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by phonehome:
I find that rather doubtful. It seems to me that I read an interview with her several years back in Gramophone, and -at that point in time at least- there was a significant male in her life.

Sorry, phonehome... but aren't you a bit young for her? :p

Jason
Originally posted by playadom:
Wow... That sounds dangerous. She's pretty young, too.
Actually, she's young and pretty.

Bad news about her illness--sounds like she worked herself sick, which is easy to do on the road. Helene is a great talent and lovely person, and we wish her a speedy recovery.

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
OP Offline
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Originally posted by phonehome:
I find that rather doubtful. It seems to me that I read an interview with her several years back in Gramophone, and -at that point in time at least- there was a significant male in her life.

Sorry, phonehome... but aren't you a bit young for her? :p
The New York Times refered to photographer J. Henry Fair as her partner in the past tense... wink

Here's what the LA Times had to say about Sunday evening:

Adam Crane, director of public relations for the Los Angeles Philharmonic, which was presenting the recital, wrote in an e-mail later Sunday that Grimaud, 37, had "said she felt dizzy and had spotty vision when she realized that she could not continue." He added that "she wanted to go back on stage, but couldn't regain enough strength to complete her program."
Grimaud was treated backstage Sunday by a Disney Hall medical technician, and Crane said Monday afternoon that after visiting the Philharmonic's regular physician earlier in the day, she had reported that the incident was related to a heart arrhythmia from which she suffers and that she planned to return to her home in Europe and consult her own doctors.

Sunday's events marked the second time this season that health problems had interfered with a Disney Hall appearance by Grimaud. Her recital had been rescheduled from its original date of Jan. 10, which she canceled because of back problems.

R
R
Why do you many forum members respond in such a juvenile way about the sad fact that she said to have "No sexual feelings what so ever" around 1998. Maybe she has changed in this respect. Whatever. It's more important that she plays according to her contracts. And it's sad to read she still doesn't perform according to plan.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
OP Offline
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
Why do you many forum members respond in such a juvenile way about the sad fact that she said to have "No sexual feelings what so ever" around 1998. Maybe she has changed in this respect. Whatever. It's more important that she plays according to her contracts. And it's sad to read she still doesn't perform according to plan.
I'm with you all the way, Robert. Thanks for redirecting this discussion back to the original topic.

Does anyone know anything about how such performers' contracts work at this level?
I'd be curious to know how the politics of such a cancellation play out...

I just received a voicemail from the Philharmonic notifying me that I will receive a voucher redeemable for a pair of tickets to a performance of my choice next season. Unfortunately, however, I gather that certain restrictions apply to which performances I choose to attend-- hopefully the Colburn Celebrity Recital Series (Perlman, Lang Lang, Schiff, Midori, Mutter) will be included as Schiff is doing the first half of a complete Beethoven cycle in '07-'08.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
Just trying to add a little humor to the mix. Soooorrrrryyyyyyyy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe she suffers migraines.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I suspect lycanthropy. eek

(apologies in advance - another attempt at humor)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I suspect lycanthropy. eek
[Linked Image]

Sam
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission