Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#518190 - 12/05/08 06:51 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
 Quote:
Originally posted by soundboard79:

Any competition medals to her credit?[/b]
She won the first prize in International Frederick Chopin Piano Competition in 1965.

What Wikipedia says seems to carry some truth about her - "Her aversion to the press and publicity has resulted in her remaining out of the limelight for most of her career. She has given relatively few interviews.".

She is recognizable, in many countries well known, but certainly not by media appearances.

M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#518191 - 12/05/08 07:03 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
soundboard79 Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

'I'm listening to a higher partial.' --Thomas McDowell
McDowell Bros. Piano Service

#518192 - 12/05/08 08:15 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
One politely wonders what else this individual has missed... ;\) [/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One also wonders just how broad and diversified an individual's experiences and tastes me be if he identifies himself first and foremost as a devotee of one particular artist alone.

Fortunately this one is redeemed with his four other choices in this particular thread.
[/b]
I'm sure Jason will be relieved to know of his redemption in your eyes, but only someone with less than a month's tenure here could imagine him to be anything less than thoroughly worldly and erudite (attributes that have shone brightly and regularly in his 3,000+ posts). \:\)

BTW FWIW I identify myself first and foremost as a devotee of one composer alone. Oh, there are plenty of others whom I like, some of them intensely, and different musical genres, too, but I don't think there's anything wrong with (or even unusual about) a personal fervor for one particular titan among the giants.

Music is like language to me, and I have only one mother tongue. \:D

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#518193 - 12/05/08 08:26 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
^ HAHA very nice Steven ...

never thought of it that way..

do we see a thread of our top 5 fav composers? \:\)

#518194 - 12/05/08 08:43 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
soundboard79 Offline

'tenure'? Sounds like you both take this thing way too seriously. I don't doubt his erudition or worldliness; I just didn't very much care for the petulant and unwarranted remark, and his silly handle was a convenient target for retaliation.

Favoring a Titan among the giants is fine and well--I actually agree with you on Chopin. But I don't quite see Argerich being a titan among giants. Anyway it's immaterial, being mostly a matter of opinion.

I apologize to all bystanders for the great deviation from the original topic at hand (though not for anything I've said.) Let's get some more votes.

#518195 - 12/05/08 11:43 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
What a truly scintillating and insightful comment. It was both relevant and pertinent to the discourse at hand, and the touch of that national variety of 'politeness' caps it off very nicely indeed. Not only was there an answer to the original question, but the gratuitous little bonus of satisfying my deep-seated pangs of desire to know what the individual thought of it.......I am awe-struck, gentlemen.
My apologies soundboard, I did not intend offense. I was just a bit mystified that you had not heard of Argerich. Fair enough?

Quote:
ONE ALSO WONDERS just how broad and diversified an individual's experiences and tastes may be when he labels himself first and foremost a devotee of one particular artist alone, and then becomes childishly defensive at the faintest notion that not everyone has the same favorite (or favourite, if you like).
Well I can assure you that I have heard many other pianists, both live and on recording, I didn't see anything 'childish' about preferring a certain pianist. Methinks you protest too much.
 Quote:
Fortunately this one is partially redeemed with his four other choices in this particular thread.
I'm grateful the other pianists I listed met your approval. Sort of hard to argue, eh?
 Quote:
I don't care very much for the stuffed-shirted critics who subject us all to their 'wisdom' in Gramophone. This crowd of ardent concertgoers is far less self-interested and often a great deal more down to earth.
Okay, you played the 'anti-Brit' card. Fair enough. A very 'American' trait of suspicion and presumed superiority of the Olde World. But if you have read the piano reviewers of Gramophone, Bryce Morrison, Jeremy Nicholas, Jed Disler, for example, you would certainly have to agree at least that they know their stuff. The latter two have also reviewed for American publications.

I have also read the American Fanfare and American Record Guide, the latter a truly disgusting periodical, primarily because of the contrarian and racist views of its editor, a sad sod whose whining is posed as intelligent discourse. At least that is not a problem with Fanfare, as the editor adopts a very low profile. He has some great reviewers in his stable. But ultimately they are not tangibly superior to those writing for Gramophone. (And I won't even get into the respective reviewers of non piano music, specifically church music.)

Your sarcastic comments strike me more as ruffled feathers. As Steven correctly points out, you are new here. Before launching an attack on me, at least survey the territory, take a breath, have a pint or whatever.

The Pianist Corner is a great community. You will meet some terrific folks here, of course we all have our opinions (not surprising, hah!), but that is what can make it so much fun.

Welcome and cheers...

#518196 - 12/05/08 11:48 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
'tenure'? Sounds like you both take this thing way too seriously. I don't doubt his erudition or worldliness; I just didn't very much care for the petulant and unwarranted remark, and his silly handle was a convenient target for retaliation.

Favoring a Titan among the giants is fine and well--I actually agree with you on Chopin. But I don't quite see Argerich being a titan among giants. Anyway it's immaterial, being mostly a matter of opinion.

I apologize to all bystanders for the great deviation from the original topic at hand (though not for anything I've said.) Let's get some more votes. [/b]
I just googled Martha Argerich and got over 500,000 hits; searching YouTube produced nearly 500, and Amazon over 250. Considering the ease with which you could have found out information about her, your question seemed a tad dismissive.

As for the response of her biggest fan here, dang, it's not as if he said you've been living under a rock for several decades! I think you seriously overreacted, and there's no reason to pronounce his screen name "silly" nor any basis for saying that others take things "way too seriously."

You're the newcomer here, after all, and it would be sensible to assume good intentions and exercise some circumspection. A sense of humor helps, too—but, of course, this is just my own immaterial matter of opinion. ;\)

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#518197 - 12/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Favoring a Titan among the giants is fine and well--I actually agree with you [Steven] on Chopin. But I don't quite see Argerich being a titan among giants.
Oops, this is freaky. Today is your first encounter with the name Argerich and you're already pronouncing her not a titan among (I could have written 'amongst') giants. Aren't we a bit quick on the draw? Kill first, then ask questions?

How American can that be?
:p :p :p :p

#518198 - 12/06/08 12:28 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sotto voce:
A sense of humor helps, too—but, of course, this is just my own immaterial matter of opinion. ;\)
Humour -oops 'humor'- is always the best sign of health, and sotto voce has it down. Good man...

Aw nuts, I'll try to take in stride the latest news regarding the American Episcopal Church... oh the perfidy of it all. British church forums will certainly get petticoats ruffled. I'm staying clear for the time being... \:D

#518199 - 12/06/08 05:25 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
dalcyonir Offline

Loc: Greece
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Arthur Rubinstein
Martha Argerich
Emil Gilels
Sviatoslav Richter
---Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI/34

#518200 - 12/06/08 05:37 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
RichterForever Offline

Loc: Singapore
By any reckoning, Argerich would most definitely be ranked among the titans. While her artistry may not be to everyone's taste, there is no denying her mastery of the piano and her musicianship. Even her detractors cannot take that away from her and most readily concede it. The Chopin International Piano Competition, Warsaw, is noted for not having awarded many first prizes. Only a handful have been awarded in their history and she is one the rarefied few first prizewinners.

#518201 - 12/06/08 06:35 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Iain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK
I'm a little surprised by the rankings at this point -- Argerich at second is actually somewhat of a nice surprise for me, even though it was not me who put her there. I was fully expecting Richter to be higher or second and he is trailing quite a bit. It's my understanding that Richter is the pianist that invented post-1950s piano style.

Just going to throw that out there...

#518202 - 12/06/08 08:43 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Anders39 Offline

Loc: Norway
Vladimir Horowitz (the best. I enjoy everything I've heard from him)
Emil Gilels (Nails everything he plays)
Andras Schiff (Gorgeus Chopin prelude in D-minor)
Wilheim Kempff (Best in Beethoven)
Arcadi Volodos (Best Rach 2 ever.)

#518203 - 12/06/08 06:02 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Iain:
I'm a little surprised by the rankings at this point -- Argerich at second is actually somewhat of a nice surprise for me, even though it was not me who put her there. I was fully expecting Richter to be higher or second and he is trailing quite a bit. It's my understanding that Richter is the pianist that invented post-1950s piano style.

Just going to throw that out there... [/b]
Just remember that the original post asked for our most beloved pianists - not the ones we thought were the greatest or the most influential, or groundbreaking. For me that means the pianists I love to hear playing the music I love to hear \:\) . I've no idea who does the best Rach 3, for example, and it explains why Geoffrey Parsons is on my list.

#518204 - 12/06/08 07:27 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by RichterForever:
By any reckoning, Argerich would most definitely be ranked among the titans.

The Chopin International Piano Competition, Warsaw, is noted for not having awarded many first prizes. Only a handful have been awarded in their history and she is one the rarefied few first prizewinners. [/b]
Why do you state an opinion as if it were a fact?
If by a "titan" you mean something like one of the top 10 pianists of all time, then I would say many would disagree. This is not to say I don't think Argerich is a very great pianist.

If you look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Frederick_Chopin_Piano_Competition#Prize_winners

you'll see that in the Chopin Competition the 1st prize was awarded in all but two years.

#518205 - 12/06/08 09:25 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
raidenciv Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Vladimir Horowitz \:\)
Martha Argerich
Sviatoslav Richter
Arthur Rubenstein
Roger Woodward

#518206 - 12/06/08 09:27 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
If you look here
[...]
you'll see that in the Chopin Competition the 1st prize was awarded in all but two years.
But of course that was just the jury's opinion too, wasn't it?

#518207 - 12/06/08 09:49 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
 Quote:
If you look here
[...]
But of course that was just the jury's opinion too, wasn't it? [/b]
I was responding to a poster who said the first prize was rarely awarded. My post shows this statement was not correct.

As far as the jury deciding the prize(s) in a competition and their decision being based on their opinion ...yes, that's true but so what???

#518208 - 12/06/08 10:05 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
As far as the jury deciding the prize(s) in a competition and their decision being based on their opinion ...yes, that's true but so what???
Indeed, Argerich has walked out on a jury. One wonders about the drama queen factor. Would have loved to have been there for what must have been a great show...

#518209 - 12/06/08 10:28 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Keith Jarrett
John Arpin
David Thomas Roberts
Peter Jacobs
John Lenehan

#518210 - 12/06/08 11:43 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
bluemarocks Offline

Loc: <------
Updated thru ander's post and also alphebetized and separated the lists to make them more digestable. The fun facts are wrong as of yet, but I will update them (and will get whoever's lists I haven't yet) sometime tomorrow.

#518211 - 12/07/08 12:18 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
SteveM Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bolet!

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2yoZQCLoSY

#518212 - 12/07/08 01:57 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bolet!

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2yoZQCLoSY [/b]
That's probably because of the limit of only five. I definitely thought of including him...and would have it we were allowed fifty names, which to my mind would be more reasonable.

#518213 - 12/07/08 02:05 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
JBB_Piano Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
And I'm surprised Alicia de Larrocha only got one vote. In her heyday, I think she could play rings around anyone who's been listed here. In addition to her, my list would include Rubinstein, Arrau, Bolet and Firkusny.

#518214 - 12/07/08 02:08 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mati:
 Quote:

Any competition medals to her credit?[/b]
She won the first prize in International Frederick Chopin Piano Competition in 1965.

What Wikipedia says seems to carry some truth about her - "Her aversion to the press and publicity has resulted in her remaining out of the limelight for most of her career. She has given relatively few interviews.".

[/b]
As Wikipedia also mentions, she won the Busoni and Geneva competions, too.

She was included in the Phillips label's "Great Pianists of the Century" series of recordings, which may have had a few weird choices, but she wasn't one of them.

#518215 - 12/07/08 01:25 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
duncantwo Offline

Loc: NC
 Quote:
Originally posted by JBB_Piano:
And I'm surprised Alicia de Larrocha only got one vote. In her heyday, I think she could play rings around anyone who's been listed here. In addition to her, my list would include Rubinstein, Arrau, Bolet and Firkusny. [/b]
FWIW, i would have put her as #6.

#518216 - 12/07/08 08:56 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by JBB_Piano:
And I'm surprised Alicia de Larrocha only got one vote. In her heyday, I think she could play rings around anyone who's been listed here. [/b]
I would guess that people haven't been exposed to her as much? I myself have mostly listened to her Mozart, which is great, but not my favorite. I did hear a recording of her doing the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto though, did she play the hell out of that thing. It was jaw-dropping. One performance doesn't quite get you in people's top 5 though.

#518217 - 12/08/08 01:34 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
Iain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by RichterForever:
By any reckoning, Argerich would most definitely be ranked among the titans. While her artistry may not be to everyone's taste, there is no denying her mastery of the piano and her musicianship. Even her detractors cannot take that away from her and most readily concede it. The Chopin International Piano Competition, Warsaw, is noted for not having awarded many first prizes. Only a handful have been awarded in their history and she is one the rarefied few first prizewinners. [/b]
I hate to point out the obvious, but piano competitions are hardly a good measure of whether a pianist plays in a way that the audience wants to hear or not. I can think of many jokers that have won even the Tchaikovsky.

#518218 - 12/08/08 05:51 AM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
RichterForever Offline

Loc: Singapore
I stand corrected about the Chopin Competition not awarding many first prizes. It's just that in the years 90 and 95 when I was following the competition closely, none were awarded. As for competitions not being a good gauge, I never said they were. It was merely a comment on somebody else's posting about whether Argerich had ever won one and the subsequent response that she won first in the Chopin in 1965. It is a fact that having won the Chopin First puts her in pretty illustrious company though.

#518219 - 12/09/08 02:04 PM Re: Pianist Fan Ranking
soundboard79 Offline

I've just read back over my posts on this thread from over the past week--good grief could I have been more hostile???

Jason, I apologize for having misread your first post and for the righteous indignation scattered all over the rest of the page. To me it sounded like I was being sarcastically labeled as underexposed and inadequately educated, but it sounds like that was far from your intent.

To be a good sport I will be giving Argerich a listen this week.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (aesop, Allard, ajames, accordeur, alans, 35 invisible), 1582 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304414 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission