Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
152 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 32 invisible), 1860 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#518593 - 07/12/01 01:11 AM On duets and other studies: A reply for Ben
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Hi Ben,
I thought it would be better to start a new thread. That Photo Album thread is quite long.

You said: "....Oh, talking about duets, we haven't really done a duet together and hope we'll do one in the near future.... Yes, how's Max? Any particular piece he is working on now? And yes, how's your M&H piano doing? ...."

Max's teacher has been encouraging him to work on duets with him. Max says it's a wonderful sensation to be playing WITH another musician and lots of fun besides. He'd never done that before.

They're working on "Abendlied" by Schumann and "La Toupie" by Bizet. New pieces he's working on include Scriabin's "Etrangeté" and Prelude #18 by Chopin.

The M&H is content at our house. It has a rich complex bass. I love it when Beethoven is played on it. But other composers' works sound pretty good on it too.

What pieces are you and your nephew working on? And what are your personal favorites?

Joy

\:\)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#518594 - 07/12/01 11:39 AM Re: On duets and other studies: A reply for Ben
Ben Foo Offline

Loc: Singapore
By the way Joy, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! I didn't know it was your birthday until i saw that 'Birthday' post. So sorry for wising you a 'late' happy birthday. ;\) May all your future endeavours become a reality for you!!

Yes, glad to hear Max enjoying his duets with his teacher. It seems so much fun that i must try it out with my nephew one day.

Oh, my Nephew is working on Chopin's Nocturnes op64 no.1 and 2 and etudes no.10. He heard those tunes over the radio and liked it so much that he bought the scores for the pieces. I liked them alot also.

My favourties? Liszt is one of my favourite as his songs are so enchanting. Especially his Liebistruam piece (sorry for the wrong spelling). It is my favourite. Sad thing is i can only play a small section of it as the middle section is really difficult. I like Chopin's waltzes also and Debussy's Reverie and clair de lune. Just to name a few of my favourtie pieces.Piano music is so wonderful-anything that is played on the piano sounds great!!

What are yours? Max's favourites?

Happy b'day again!! \:\)

Best wishes

Ben

#518595 - 07/12/01 04:58 PM Re: On duets and other studies: A reply for Ben
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Favorite pieces? Now THERE'S a fun topic to share among friends here.

Hmmm. In terms of favorite pieces to perform? Max just finished studying the third movement from Beethoven's "Tempest" Sonata. He loves this piece passionately, though I suspect he feels he doesn't do it justice. Probably a piece he will re-visit as he matures and will enjoy for a lifetime. Somewhere along the way he'll learn the other two movements too, I hope. ;\)

Bach is his ultimate favorite composer, and I know playing anything by this great master gives him an all-time high. His teacher is perfecting the entire Well-Tempered Clavier for an upcoming recital, and he's promised to give us a preview performance before Max packs off for college this fall.

Perhaps I'll play more after Max leaves. I used to play rags quite a bit. Joplin's Magnetic Rag is a personal favorite of mine. I play it slowly. It was his last piece before he died. His hands were arthritic at this point, so he wrote for melodic line, not gynmnastics (ie Maple Leaf Rag) at this phase of his life. The last movement (in minor key) before the final refrain is particularly poignant to my ears. It alludes to the upcoming jazz movement from a historical standpoint -- one can imagine Joplin moving on to the blues from this piece had he lived on. Other favorites: Schubert's Impromptus, and Schumann's Scenes from Childhood.

I love all kinds of music, actually. Recently I've been trying to play Thelonius Monk's "Misterioso" by ear. Can only get as far as the introduction.

Joy

PS: I hope others will jump in and mention the pieces they love to play on a moment's notice.

\:\)

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

#518596 - 07/13/01 12:28 PM Re: On duets and other studies: A reply for Ben
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
chopin's op. 64 isn't a nocturne if i remember correctly... it's a waltz isn't it?

#518597 - 07/13/01 01:06 PM Re: On duets and other studies: A reply for Ben
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
magnezium,

Benjamine probably is talking about Op.62/1-2 instead of Op.64. You're right that Op.64 is Valse.

Chow!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Going from ETD to aural - only octaves, only bass
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 05:28 PM
The less I practice, the better I get :-)
by Mark_C
11/25/14 04:49 PM
Reasons behind notes as letters rather than numbers?
by TowardsTheEdge
11/25/14 04:31 PM
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
What's your definition of music?
by juliantoha624
11/25/14 03:21 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159348 Topics
2340732 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission