2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey all,

I am learning this sonata right now, and I am having extreme difficulty with the development section of the Allegro. I was able to get the Exposition and Recap. quite easily....but the development section (mm.52-71) is just killing me right now. I don't have a clear picture as to how it fits into the structure of the rest of the movement. I am analyzing the harmonies right now to see the key changes and such, but overall it is giving me fits! Here are some places I need help

Any good fingering suggestions? Do most people play the uper eighth notes in the treble clef with the left hand, so the right hand can keep the 16ths steady? or am I way off base...because that is how I am practicing it, but the coordination just feels funky in my fingers.

And lastly: expressive direction? any suggestions? I feel like this development section is so far detatched from the exp. and recap. that it does not feel like it is part of the same piece....

PLEASE HELP!!!!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
the coordination just feels funky in my fingers.
Surely everything on the piano feels funky until you've mastered it!?

Speaking from a general viewpoint, sometimes you'll run into some measures which will give you serious technical issues for no apparent reason (WTC Prelude 2 in C minor.. :rolleyes: wink ). Just keep up the repetition and break it into tiny bits. I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Why not get a good recording of the sonata and listen to how the artist interprets it? You can then get an understanding of how the development section relates to the rest of the compostition. Various artists will interpret the sonata differently, but all should--if they are good pianists--play the piece as a cohesive whole.

I am not suggesting that you copy the playing of the artist, but that you use the recording to see how the parts fit together. Once you understand the various relationships you should be better able to develop your own interpretation. Gaby Tu

OP Offline
Thanks for the advice, Gaby Tu. I think I will try to obtain a few different recordings. That is a great idea. Sometimes I do listen to recordings, and sometimes I don't for the fear that I will copy someone's interpretation, not purposefully, but that it will just flow from me in that way...so perhaps multiple recordings would be the answer.

Reaper: Thanks for the encouragement. Tiny steps. Sometimes I just expect the whole piece to flow, and I know that life just doesn't work that way.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission