2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#522644 02/20/07 05:42 PM
wysiwyg Offline OP
OP Offline
Hopefully this question is in the right spot here on the forum. I believe it has something to do with technique.

Does anyone else here, after playing the piano for close to an hour, get a rather annoying sharp pain in the back lower neck? Just above the shoulder.

I get this pain, and I don't know if I am sitting improperly or not. I don't know where to start fixing the problem. If anyone else has/had this problem, could you let me know how to try and fix it? I'm sure it has something to do with posture.

Hopefully age doesn't matter since I am an adult beginner that has been learning for the past 3 years. Thanks in advance. smile

I search for perfect harmony. Because I know perfect timing will be forever out of my reach.
#522645 02/20/07 05:59 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It may not have to do with posture. It probably has to do with your shoulders tensing up during playing.

I would say that you should make a consistent effort to keep your shoulders down and relaxed. Always pay attention to this especially when you're playing a difficult passage. Relaxing your arms will also help you with this. Before you practice roll your arms and neck around to loosen up. Hopefully this was some help.

#522646 02/20/07 06:04 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
wysiwyg:

I believe it has everything to do with posture and tension; it affects me sometimes, and when I'm able to catch myself "in the act", as it were, it's invariably a question of tension in the shoulders and neck.

As a matter of fact, I just "caught" myself just now in this very situation. I was playing through a slow movement of a Schubert Sonata very intent on keeping the eighth notes, eighth-note triplets and sixteenths in relatively strict rhythm in relation to each other. When I got through the movement - not one that is technically demanding, by the way - there was the pain somewhere at the base of the neck and/or between the shoulder blades. Relaxing, I dropped my shoulders. Conclusion: my shoulders were unnaturally raised throughout the whole "intensity" of the playing.

When it happens to you, try to determine if you are raising your shoulders when playing. This is a common fault among many (of us amateur) players. Check, too - odd as this may sound - that you're not clenching your jaw while you play. This can also lead to tension pain in the back of the neck.

Yes, I believe it's all related to tension and the failure to relax which is the cause of poor posture - I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, though. Keep concentrating on and working on relaxing - which sounds almost like a contradiction, doesn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#522647 02/20/07 09:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bruce's advice is excellent, as usual. Keep the tension in check, and retain conscious awareness of your shoulders, etc.

One additional thing I've found that helps is this: when playing a difficult passage, the kind you'd tense up over, SMILE! There is a physiological relationship between expression and attitude. Think of a champion - in any sports or performance venue - with a winning smile.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
#522648 02/21/07 02:05 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by gerg:

One additional thing I've found that helps is this: when playing a difficult passage, the kind you'd tense up over, SMILE! There is a physiological relationship between expression and attitude. Think of a champion - in any sports or performance venue - with a winning smile.
That's one I'll have to try when no one is looking. "What's he been up to?" is the obvious reason! laugh

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#522649 02/21/07 02:22 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by gerg:
[b]
That's one I'll have to try when no one is looking. "What's he been up to?" is the obvious reason! laugh

Cheers! [/b]
I think if you suddenly have a beaming grin across your face during a recital, what the audience would be thinking is more along the lines of "What is he taking?" (and a minority "I want some of that..)

#522650 02/21/07 06:28 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Make sure that the shoulders have not crept up so they're around the ears - relax the shoulders and keep checking that they haven't risen.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
#522651 08/24/08 09:07 PM
M
M
thought I would share my experience on this as I had quite some trouble with this type of pain in the past.

I had that sharp/stinging sensation after playing for about an hour - I took up piano as an adult beginner 3 years ago. I always played through the pain. After about 1 year the pain increased until I had constant neck, shoulder and back pain, frequently "pulling" my neck badly every few weeks. At a certain point I had to stop piano altogether.

I'm happy to say 18 months later I'm back to practicing every day for a couple of hours without any pain. My road to recovery was long and required much trial and error. There's no guarantee my methods will help anyone else, but I'll share anyway...

First I saw a doctor to make sure there were no underlying medical issues or serious damage - luckily not, and it was diagnosed and muscle/ tendon damage from over-use. Second I tried hard to correct my posture (since I knew it was related because the pain always got worse playing piano) - I tried a bunch of things but ended up taking Alexander technique lessons and after some time this helped enormously. Third I completely changed my diet, started eating healthily and low fat, drinking PLENTY of water every day. Fourth (and this was a MAJOR relief when the pain was bad), I started exercising properly, running 3 times a week and lifting light weights. The best relief I got during this period was doing long slow stretches for the neck/ shoulder, and gradually adding weight to the stretch (e.g. a dumbell in one hand, gently pulling head to one side)... after a few months of doing this regularly the pain really decreased and I started slowly getting back to the piano.

Some days are better than others, I still have minor discomfort, but now ensure I stretch thoroughly before playing, take breaks every 20 minutes or so, and keep exercising and staying healthy.

The tips other people gave around staying loose and not tensing when playing are extremely valid - this tension with bad posture is what leads to the injury in the first place. It can take a long time to heal and to re-educate the body, but it is definitely worth it in the end.

Good luck and take care!

#522652 08/24/08 09:24 PM
Ditto. Alexander Technique lessons have helped me as well. It's not a curative process, but an education process geared towards proper use of your body, especially your spine. Once you start holding and useing your body properly, it can heal and further damage can be prevented.

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
#522653 08/24/08 11:04 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
maestoso :

After 18 months, you say? That was about the time this thread was started, wasn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#522654 08/25/08 08:29 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Does indeed sound like tension. On the other hand, just this March I had a similar nagging pain at the back of my head / on my neck and I thought it was from practice-related tension (given that I had just started back at the piano in February after about 15 years' hiatus). Turned out to be a massive ear infection. So if consciously relaxing doesn't help, by all means get yourself checked out by a doctor.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission