Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#523544 - 11/06/01 06:10 PM Good piece for a "celebration of life"
Megumi Offline

Loc: New York
Hello. This is my first post (although I've been reading the board for quite some time)!
I have a big project. It will be 2 years next year May 5th since my husband's death. I'm planning to have a "celebration of life" and play some piece for him. I need a piece that expresses sadness (that his life got cut short at 36), anger (that we only had 5 years together), but also hope (that I still have things in my life to be thankful for).

I am thinking of Chopin's Ballade, Op 23 but I'm not sure if this piece is within my reach. I'm only at the intermediate level. The piece I worked most recently is Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu. I took lessons for 6 years when I was very young and only started again after my husband died. Do you think if I take 6 months, I'd be able to play it half-decently (to the audience who is not that familiar with piano music, at least)?

Do you have any suggestions on other good pieces? Thanks!
Megumi

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#523545 - 11/07/01 01:18 PM Re: Good piece for a "celebration of life"
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Megumi,I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. Regarding the Ballades, they are all supposed to be very difficult, and opus 23 is not even the easiest among them. I am supposed to be an intermediate-level player, maybe even "upper-intermediate". But I would not even touch Fantaisie-Impromptu. So maybe you're better than you think. Or maybe I'm worse than I thought!

Some other possibilities might be taken from Chopin's nocturnes or mazurkas. Opus 17, #4 is one of the most beautiful pieces I know, and yet it is quite sad. Then you have several incredible nocturnes to consider. Several of them have tremendous changes in them, from happy to sad, to stormy, etc. You might consider #27-1. That may be my favorite piano piece of all time. After a tremendous buildup, and a fantastic emotional peak, it moves into a happy little mazurka and finally finishes in a very serious manner. This piece always stirs me up emotionally, and I don't even have a specific topic or purpose in mind. And if I had the skill, I know I could take out some anger on that fantastic part in the middle. A somewhat similar piece, albeit a little more difficult, is opus 48, no. 1. Many consider this to be his greatest nocturne.

#523546 - 11/07/01 05:58 PM Re: Good piece for a "celebration of life"
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
The G minor Ballade is considerably harder than the Fantasie-Impromptu in my experience, particularly in the coda. Although the F-I has a lot of notes, you really don't need to move the hand a great deal. Your teacher's opinion is probably the best to get on this as he or she will know your capabilities. It's really not the sort of occasion where you want to be putting yourself under pressure to perform.

As for other pieces, I think the slow movement from Schubert's last piano sonata (D.960) would work well. It is technically much less difficult than the Chopin, but is challenging to play well. I think it conveys many of the feelings you want to express.

#523547 - 11/07/01 07:56 PM Re: Good piece for a "celebration of life"
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Megumi,

I like the Chopin Op. 27 suggestion, but I would play both Nocturnes. They are one of my favorite combinations of pieces. They fit together seamlessly, so much so that I usually play them without a break. To me they capture the emotions that you described in your post.

Hope all goes well,

Ryan

#523548 - 11/07/01 10:50 PM Re: Good piece for a "celebration of life"
Megumi Offline

Loc: New York
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll see if I can download Chopin's Nocturne Op 27 and Schubert's Sonata.

I missed lessons for almost 2 months because of the WTC attack. (I live close to the Ground Zero.) When I start lessons again, hopefully soon, I'll ask my teacher for advice!

Megumi

#523549 - 11/10/01 01:00 PM Re: Good piece for a "celebration of life"
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
You might also want to try out a few of the Scriabin preludes (op 11), especially some of the easier ones. #1, #7, #8 are in reasonably keys and may strike the right melodic "tone."

These preludes are all very short (about 2-4 minutes each) and may give you some flexibility that way as well.

The Gm Ballade is one of my all-time favorite pieces but it's a tough one to get down so that it sounds nice.

Good luck, hope you have a wonderful celebration.

Nina

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
10/23/14 02:20 PM
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/23/14 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (anotherscott, ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 39 invisible), 1633 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158442 Topics
2326839 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission