2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Megumi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello. This is my first post (although I've been reading the board for quite some time)!
I have a big project. It will be 2 years next year May 5th since my husband's death. I'm planning to have a "celebration of life" and play some piece for him. I need a piece that expresses sadness (that his life got cut short at 36), anger (that we only had 5 years together), but also hope (that I still have things in my life to be thankful for).

I am thinking of Chopin's Ballade, Op 23 but I'm not sure if this piece is within my reach. I'm only at the intermediate level. The piece I worked most recently is Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu. I took lessons for 6 years when I was very young and only started again after my husband died. Do you think if I take 6 months, I'd be able to play it half-decently (to the audience who is not that familiar with piano music, at least)?

Do you have any suggestions on other good pieces? Thanks!
Megumi

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Megumi,I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. Regarding the Ballades, they are all supposed to be very difficult, and opus 23 is not even the easiest among them. I am supposed to be an intermediate-level player, maybe even "upper-intermediate". But I would not even touch Fantaisie-Impromptu. So maybe you're better than you think. Or maybe I'm worse than I thought!

Some other possibilities might be taken from Chopin's nocturnes or mazurkas. Opus 17, #4 is one of the most beautiful pieces I know, and yet it is quite sad. Then you have several incredible nocturnes to consider. Several of them have tremendous changes in them, from happy to sad, to stormy, etc. You might consider #27-1. That may be my favorite piano piece of all time. After a tremendous buildup, and a fantastic emotional peak, it moves into a happy little mazurka and finally finishes in a very serious manner. This piece always stirs me up emotionally, and I don't even have a specific topic or purpose in mind. And if I had the skill, I know I could take out some anger on that fantastic part in the middle. A somewhat similar piece, albeit a little more difficult, is opus 48, no. 1. Many consider this to be his greatest nocturne.

Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
The G minor Ballade is considerably harder than the Fantasie-Impromptu in my experience, particularly in the coda. Although the F-I has a lot of notes, you really don't need to move the hand a great deal. Your teacher's opinion is probably the best to get on this as he or she will know your capabilities. It's really not the sort of occasion where you want to be putting yourself under pressure to perform.

As for other pieces, I think the slow movement from Schubert's last piano sonata (D.960) would work well. It is technically much less difficult than the Chopin, but is challenging to play well. I think it conveys many of the feelings you want to express.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Megumi,

I like the Chopin Op. 27 suggestion, but I would play both Nocturnes. They are one of my favorite combinations of pieces. They fit together seamlessly, so much so that I usually play them without a break. To me they capture the emotions that you described in your post.

Hope all goes well,

Ryan

M
Megumi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll see if I can download Chopin's Nocturne Op 27 and Schubert's Sonata.

I missed lessons for almost 2 months because of the WTC attack. (I live close to the Ground Zero.) When I start lessons again, hopefully soon, I'll ask my teacher for advice!

Megumi

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You might also want to try out a few of the Scriabin preludes (op 11), especially some of the easier ones. #1, #7, #8 are in reasonably keys and may strike the right melodic "tone."

These preludes are all very short (about 2-4 minutes each) and may give you some flexibility that way as well.

The Gm Ballade is one of my all-time favorite pieces but it's a tough one to get down so that it sounds nice.

Good luck, hope you have a wonderful celebration.

Nina

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission