2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#524990 08/07/02 09:12 AM
L
Laura Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi,
I have recently started piano lessons with a new teaher- i am on grade 4 but just changed teacher as my other one moved house. I have had one lesson with her and she is really really nice but i get v nervous and play things wrong which i can do perfectly. Does this happen to anyone else? and how do u cope with it. Is there any way to get over it?

#524991 08/07/02 10:08 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
someone once told me that I shouldn't be nervous in front of my teacher, because he's been employed to teach me and if I can't play well, it's his fault anyway... smile

I was nervous too when I first started, but it improved as I got used to the pressure and my teacher.

#524992 08/07/02 11:26 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I used to get very nervous before my lessons, and even now I find I can get nervous if I "think about it."

Two things have helped me: one is just getting to know her better and playing in front of her a lot. The second was hearing her play... both in performances and in demonstrating particular passages to me.

She is a fabulous player and her performances have been wonderful, but there have been occasions when she's really muffed up in a demonstration, having to start over, etc. (In other words, the exact things that I do or am afraid I'll do when I'm so nervous). Knowing that she isn't "perfect," and it's all part of learning, helped me a lot.

If you find your teacher truly intimindating, he/she may not be the right teacher for you, IMHO.

Nina

#524993 08/07/02 11:32 AM
L
Laura Offline OP
OP Offline
L
hi- well- she is very nice as i said and have only had 1 lesson with her. She is far from intimidating though- just wondered if there is anything to get over playing things wrong from nerves= when u know it perfectly

#524994 08/08/02 12:09 AM
V
V
Laura,

I used to have that problem before. Been changing teachers for so many times :rolleyes:

But the point is, you'll get better once you know your teacher better, and knowing that she's there to help you and not to criticise you, you'll get used to playing for her.

Hope this help...

#524995 08/08/02 12:30 AM
E
E
Hi Laura,

I'm sure that she probably understands you're nervous and that a perfectly played passage at home can turn into a mess when your nerves take over. Just keep in mind that she is there to help you, not to judge you. She expects you to make mistakes and she will help you get through the tough spots. Most teachers can tell when a ruined passage is related to nervousness anyway, so don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure things will get better as you get to know your teacher better and besides, we all get nervous. wink

Lyn

#524996 08/08/02 07:50 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
We ALL get this! As I've learned, playing when noones around is a different ballpark entirely to when someone else is listening. Just the fact that they are there, absorbing the music aswell, makes you more nervous and willing to please, not just your own ear.

The great Rubinstein even complained that he simply could not play for HIMSELF or even practice properly without complete solitude. 'Even when the waiter comes into my hotel room for a minute,' he said, 'I start performing to him!'

#524997 08/08/02 10:26 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I sometimes get so nervous before my lessons I literally get physically ill! I feel like I am going to throw up before I go in!
I think for me it's just because I work SOOOO hard on the pieces all week, I feel like if I mess it up he will think I didn't bother practicing. But no matter how much I mess up, he can always tell if I have practicied...that's basically what he trained to do!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#524998 08/08/02 10:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know the feeling of feeling nervous around the teacher. I'm taking organ lessons at this point, and something that sounded fine when I was practicing on my own sounded like mush, and way too many missed notes (especially with the pedals) when I was in front of the teacher. Luckily for me, he was able to tell it might be because of nerves, but he had also picked up on the fact that I tend to be a nit-picky perfectionist, and he is trying to get me to relax and not be so nit-picky and hard on myself, especially when it comes to working with the pedals. My posture was also very tense around him too, tense arms and legs, very tense around the wrists and the ankles, whereas when I practiced on my own, I was completely relaxed.

So he tells me I should just trust myself and my abilities, because if I can do that, and after a while, ignore the fact that he's sitting nearby, then I'll be able to play the way I'm capable of playing. Or, so he says.

Regards,
Lyn F.
#524999 08/08/02 11:15 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Laura,

Teacher makes you very nervous?

Good!

Teacher makes you play lousy, because of the pressure?

. . . Great!!

If you have an expert, tough teacher that knows his/her stuff, and you learn to deal with the pressure, how to focus, how to "think" your way through it all and play with authority and mastery. . .

You'll learn more than you realize.

wink

#525000 08/09/02 08:18 AM
L
Laura Offline OP
OP Offline
L
yeah- thanks for ur posts everyone- i will keep that in mind. Actually funnily enough my teacher said to me that she knew it was totally because of nerves and that i wanted to give a good impression on my first lesson. It made me feel so much better and I don't think i will be as nervous as the time goes on.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission