2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525002 03/08/03 08:46 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
This upcoming school year, I will be attending a music school. (Hopefully Mannes, Hartt or Manhattan school of music!) For those who already gone this route, what is a freshman to expect? I know it varies from teacher to teacher, but how often will I be expected to learn a new recital program?

I am just finishing up my current program in order to play recitals in June and so forth, so I was wondering if it may be a good idea to start a new program in the summer?

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
  • Depression
  • Debt
  • 8AM theory
  • Graduate Teaching Assitants who get it on with their students
  • Professors who get it on with their students
  • New faces
  • Old ideas
  • Cute Japanese girls
  • Drunks
  • Frustration
  • The school concerto competition as it pertains directly to your ultimate success or failure as a human entity
  • Cute Japanese girls
  • (Gonads and) Strife
  • Temptation
  • Success
  • Josquin and the Ars Nova Motet
  • The expendable nature of singers
  • Doing too much...
  • ...yet receiving curiously little payment in return...
  • ...and ending up being the one who pays in the end.

That is all. Enjoy.

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Brendan, your post leaves me baffled on certain issues. I have a few questions that you could possibly clear up for me.

1. Are the Graduate Teaching Assitants often attrative females, or should I just go for the professors?

2. This isn't really a question, but thanks for the insight into the importance of music school and what its really there for; girls..! wink laugh

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by CrashTest:
Brendan, your post leaves me baffled on certain issues. I have a few questions that you could possibly clear up for me.

Gladly.

1. Are the Graduate Teaching Assitants often attrative females, or should I just go for the professors?

Quite the opposite. Most are geekishly attractive 20-something males. It's as unfaltering as F=ma.

2. This isn't really a question, but thanks for the insight into the importance of music school and what its really there for; girls..! wink laugh
See point #8 in my list.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"One Wrong note, and its a mistake. Two wrong notes, and its Boulez."

Three wrong notes or more and it's me ! wink wink

Benedict
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Josquin and the Ars Nova Motet
Brendan-
NEVER again do I want to hear these two words. Particularly ars nova motet, and "isorythmic motets".I NEVER want to have to identify the composer by listening to his isorythmic motets, some of which are the most ghastly things ever written, and sound like chickens being strangled, therefore all sounding the same as well.
Nor would I like to hear the word "hockets".
Brendan, you have just opened a can of bad music history memories....AGHH!

Anyways, expect to work like a dog, and no matter what, always have someone better than you. But remember: it's what YOU can do, not what you can do in relation to other people ( save that for the competitions, when your entire life hangs in the balance of one STUPID concerto competition that really doesnt matter too much.)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
A
A
One more to add to Brendan's list: Osmiroid Pens. (Or maybe they went out in the 70s when I was last in music school?)

On a more serious note, if your experience is anything like mine was, you will find that you really have to teach yourself; the professors really don't teach. If you can, try to determine which of the piano profs will be able to give you what you need, and try to get on his or her roster. But for theory, history, solfege, conducting, etc - it's do-it-yourself!! (What a waste of money, she says with 20-20 hindsight.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Brendan's list is good.

And my best advice is to keep this adage in mind:

"God helps those who helps themselves."

Professors are very much like God in that way. If you show initiative and work consistently, you'll do very well and your professors will be happy to help you.

Also, I'd say the number 1 cause of unnecessary stress and failure is missing classes. Don't miss class your freshman year. Buy 5 alarm clocks and distribute them around your dorm room (out of reach of the bed). Oh, and don't ever miss a lesson or show up unprepared. Don't even think about it.

Expectations will vary from teacher to teacher. I know some who don't want a new student to perform at all for a year or so. Some expect recitals every year. Do expect to build repertoire like mad. Expect to enter a few competitions, it's good to have a goal like that to work for.

BTW, the cutest girls seem to come from the flute studio. The violin pool is also decent. Beware - vocalists can be a bit more tempting to the eye, but you don't want to date one. Well, maybe one, just for kicks, but only one. Brendan is also right - the Japanese girls are cute, but cute can transmute into annoying over time, so be careful.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Brendan:
[b]
See point #8 in my list.[/b]
And #12 as well!

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
What are isorythmic motets? confused

What's the deal with cookies? Why not bakies?
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
In other words, from what you say, Brendan, working in the upper echelons of musical academia seems pretty much like life in the ordinary office or factory. It's just the subject matter and job descriptions which are different !

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Kreisler:
BTW, the cutest girls seem to come from the flute studio.

Yes. YES

Beware - vocalists can be a bit more tempting to the eye, but you don't want to date one. Well, maybe one, just for kicks, but only one.

See above.

Don't be tempted by the delicious eye candy that is the singer. They will eat you and your first born alive. I'd say that 80% are the stereotypical diva that gives singers a bad name, 10% are ice princesses with lots of ambition but no real goals, and the remaining 10% are nice people and dateable.

Brendan is also right - the Japanese girls are cute, but cute can transmute into annoying over time, so be careful.
Yeah...that can be true at times. The good thing is that they're open to dating Americans, unlike Koreans. That's another story altogether.

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Not to hijack the topic ( wink ), but will I get a good deal of performance oppurtunities? Are there recitals every week or month that I can participate in, or are there only the yearly recitals I plan?

Another question, should my intent to play recitals be to better myself, or to hopefully pick up chicks? (If such a thing can be done playing a recital.. but who knows!) laugh

Aw, c'mon Brendan, you can't really stereotype like that. laugh

That being said...don't get me started on the Korean Clique Syndicate (tm). wink

Originally posted by Brendan:
The good thing is that they're open to dating Americans, unlike Koreans. That's another story altogether.[/QB]

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow. there seems to be a heavy " picking up chicks" thing here. To give you a girls perspective (aka "insider")
Flutists are airheads..literally. I have not met one who wasnt ditzy as all get out. they also tend to be VERY clingy.

Singers...dont even try.

Girl pianists are the most down-to-earth. We are a good, hardworking bunch who also like to kick back and have fun.

But my ultimate advice:
DONT DATE A MUSICIAN!
Two musicians make for a very emotional, very argumentative pair. Rarely have I seen two musicians date succesfully. they always ends up miserable.
Go for doctors and engineers instead. Arts and sciences, though most people don't think of it, actually get along very well. Its a good balance.

Anyways, just use the recitals and performance as experience, and a chance to show the other musicians where you are at. Use them as a learning experience, because thats what college is. One giant learning experience.
(read "learning" as "making mistakes")

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
[b]DONT DATE A MUSICIAN!
Two musicians make for a very emotional, very argumentative pair. Rarely have I seen two musicians date succesfully. they always ends up miserable.[/b]
My girlfriend is a pianist, and we get along fine. We don't play any two-piano music, other than occasional concerti, so that helps.

She's also Japanese, to boot.

Mine's a violist. All is well, although it was rather annoying having to learn the concerti and sonatas by Walton, Bartok, Hindemith (Op. 11#4 and that damn Schwanendreher thing), Brahms, Bach, and Clarke (ugh!).

Of course, now I can play them all on short notice and make some MONEY! laugh

www.pianoped.com
P
P
Brendan, was your girlfriend trained in the Suzuki method? Do you know whether most or all of the other Japanese piano students at CCM were? Do you have any idea what percentage of piano students at CCM were Suzuki trained? How about you? I don't care what percentage of five-year-old Suzuki students plays better than other five-year-old students, but I sure would like to know what method produces better pianists at your level, and I've been unable to find this information from an objective source. Anyone else know? (CrashTest. sorry your thread has been hijacked. I know this is important to you at this stage of your life.)

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Clarke (ugh!).
I am so sorry. I don't think that I could be in a relationship with someone who wanted me to play that sonata. Financial troubles, family troubles, professional troubles, personal issues, and schizophrenia are all fine, but I have to draw the line at the prospect of having to play the works of Rebecca Clarke. laugh

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Pianomuse,

So we've had pianist and violinist. My girlfriend is a cellist and we are happy together. That is not to say we never argue - but it is never over music. More like snoring, washing up, etc.

That said, no way would I shack up with a bagpiper. wink

David

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission