Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#528490 - 11/18/05 07:57 PM *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I have found three Kissin videos.

They are:

Scraibin Etude Op. 8 No. 12
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 COMPLETE
Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 5 (with Rach 2)
Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 2 (I have 2 one seperate and one with the Rach 2 Video).

Keep in mind the Rach 2 video is a pain to download but it IS worth it.

I will post them if you are interested.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#528491 - 11/18/05 08:15 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Sure... as long as it is legal.

#528492 - 11/18/05 08:16 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: li, new york
I'd love to see that, also with go on the legal issue.

Its amazing how you found the videos for all my favorite songs. The Sciabin etude Rachmaninoff concerto and on of the rach preludes I love (32/2).

#528493 - 11/18/05 08:18 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm pretty sure it's legal. They aren't commercial or anything (I dont think... the recording quality isn't the greatest).

Still the Rach 2nd was a real treat. He gives two encores thus the Rach G minor and Bb major Preludes.

#528494 - 11/18/05 08:23 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

#528495 - 11/18/05 11:05 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

hey thanks,
The Scriabin etude was great. Kissin is a great pianist. The Rachmaninoff conerto is still only at 37%, and its not looking like it will be done anytime soon. \:\)

#528496 - 11/19/05 12:16 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Np \:D

Lol well it IS the entire concerto plus two encores.
The whole thing is almost about 59 minutes.

#528497 - 11/19/05 08:42 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow,
That Rach 2 was very well played, very heartfelt.

My favorite part was the lisp that Kissin had.

#528498 - 11/19/05 01:09 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
Jeff thanks a lot!
I Already have that Scriabin Etude, but don't have the RACH 2 and never heard Kissin playing it. I have a recording of his playing RACH 3 (where you cannot see the conductor or the orchestra lol) but the quality is \:D

#528499 - 11/19/05 07:43 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Mandel Offline

Loc: Sweden
any one seen the video were argerich plays shostakovich no 1? Ive heard about it would like too see it..

#528500 - 11/20/05 02:34 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kissin did a good job of playing Rach 2. I always love watching pianists play concertos. I just think it's so cool. Thanks Jeff.

#528501 - 11/20/05 10:57 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Stormcrow Offline

Thanks a lot, I think I'm going to be sick.

EDIT: Awesome videos!!

#528502 - 11/20/05 11:45 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Wow, that Kissin performance of Rach 2 is incredible.

#528503 - 11/21/05 12:07 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Surprisingly, as good as it was, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone talking about Kissin playing this particular concerto.

#528504 - 11/21/05 12:41 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
He recorded it a long time ago. The recording wasn't particularly good(neither is this video, IMO).

#528505 - 11/21/05 10:37 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Jeff, Did you fit the whole concerto into 38.4MB only ?!!

#528506 - 11/21/05 11:33 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
This is definitely illegal. Concert venues own the rights to whatever happens inside, whether it's commercially released or not.

I'll leave the post up for now, but I just wanted everyone to know...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#528507 - 11/21/05 02:28 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
This is definitely illegal. Concert venues own the rights to whatever happens inside, whether it's commercially released or not.

I'll leave the post up for now, but I just wanted everyone to know... [/b]
Well, that's not entirely true, and since the Proms is in London, it is subject to British (and not U.S.) law. It is likely that this particular instance would fall under international law, which is a whole different bag of tricks.

The video appears to be a taped copy of a television show/interview/live TV broadcast. So, it was definitely commercially released. The big question is whether or not it was publically released (and how that impacts international law).

Are you a lawyer Kreisler? (If you are, I'd love to know the answer...)

#528508 - 11/21/05 02:37 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Nope, not a lawyer. And I didn't realize the video was from the UK, so yes, the laws may be different there.

In the US, though, not even Kissin would have the rights to his own performances. (Unless his manager reached a deal with the venue in advance of the performance.) Venues in the US are really picky/careful about property rights issues.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#528509 - 11/21/05 03:02 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Definitely not LEGAL. I can't believe it's even a question.

Nobody would care enough to stop you from downloading/viewing it, but there is no way that this performance or any other captured from TV is instantly FREE simply because it is captured in a Digital format with the commercials removed.

#528510 - 11/21/05 03:04 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Nope, not a lawyer. And I didn't realize the video was from the UK, so yes, the laws may be different there.

In the US, though, not even Kissin would have the rights to his own performances. (Unless his manager reached a deal with the venue in advance of the performance.) Venues in the US are really picky/careful about property rights issues. [/b]
To the first part of your response... damn! I was hoping for an answer! ;\)

To the second, it is as you say--entirely dependent upon the contract between the venue and the performer. Since this video was a TV release, however, and likely the BBC, the law works a little differently (if the UK follows US law in this matter). If the venue sold the rights to produce the show, then it is up to the new owner of said rights. If Kissin holds the rights, it's up to him. The internet is a funny thing, and I'm not exactly sure how "redistribution" works in accordance with the law (because I only took several classes, but am not a lawyer). It is likely that this specific case would fall under an interpretation and not an actual law (because it's not a replica of the "Napster Clause"...at least, that's what I'm calling it these days). That means it'd have to go to court first, probably under a lawsuit, before it went anywhere else.

For the time being, I'd assume it's a publically-licensed broadcast, in which case (I believe) you're exempt.

(But again, a lawyer's weigh-in would be much-appreciated, if only for my own knowledge! \:\) )

Quote:
Nobody would care enough to stop you from downloading/viewing it, but there is no way that this performance or any other captured from TV is instantly FREE simply because it is captured in a Digital format with the commercials removed.
Nobody is saying that "because there are no commercials, it's free" (except you). What we (Kreisler and I) were immediately trying to determine is who holds the license? If it's public, guess what? It's free.

And it's not some guy's camcorder in the proms taping...it's definitely a commercial release at the very least. Now, the quality was instantly diminished, which means it was formatted for downloadable purposes. This indicates the possibility that it was intended to be a publically-viewable event. The only way to determine this, however, is to find a reputable source download or ask (and trust the word of) the originator of this particular file.

But to automatically say, "I can't believe this is even a question" is, in my opinion, a ridiculous presumption...more so than the possibility that this video could be publically-licensed. ;\)

#528511 - 11/21/05 03:25 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do you seriously believe that? Somebody capped this from a TV broadcast and posted it on the Internet. I know because I have a near DVD quality copy of the same performance.

#528512 - 11/21/05 03:45 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Dave Spelvin Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
With apologies in advance, I'm a lawyer. UK and US copyright laws are very close, especially since the late 80s when the US became a Berne Convention country. The "author" of a tv production owns the rights in the recording unless there is a writing to the contrary (for example, an assignment of rights). It's probably BBC or Kissin's record label or possibly his artist management company. Are there titles at the beginning which include a copyright notice? This would tell you who claims the rights. If there are no titles, the person who digitized the production and distributed it over the internet probably removed them. Also, please note that any rights in the work are not lost just because it was broadcast over television. If that's true, any of us could TIVO all the Sopranos episodes and sell them. You get the right to watch ONLY, as when you buy the latest bestselling novel, you get the right to read ONLY and can't photocopy it and sell copies. These examples are slightly more restrictive than is actually the case, but only slightly (e.g., you can TIVO the show, which is making a recording, and you can take quotations from the novel and put them in your latest paper for contemporary literature class).

It is extremely difficult these days for works to enter into the public domain when they are released. In the old days, publication without notice was enough, or failing to supply a copy to the copyright office. Now, copyright attaches to a work even without notice or filing for registration. (E.g., you own the copyright on the note you left for your roommate to take out the garbage. No need to register your copyright in it for rights to attach.)

Therefore, somebody owns the tv production. Whether they will attempt to track down people exchanging it over the internet is another matter entirely, but such distribution is surely illegal. My guess is that BBC or Kissin's record label or whoever else might own the work won't earn enough money off this video to make it worth their while to chase down the likes of forumites such as yourselves. But I could be wrong about that.

#528513 - 11/21/05 03:45 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Stormcrow Offline

Did anyone notice that the videos were from a site called evgenyissin.net, which incidentally seems to be no longer around?

Btw. What do you guys think of the speed on the Op. 23 No. 5?

#528514 - 11/21/05 04:03 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

By the way, this particular performance is from the Proms' New Years Eve Concert in 2000 - conducted by Sir Andrew Davis. While I would assume it aired on BBC, I do know for a fact that it aired on ABC(Austraian Broadcasting Corp.)

#528515 - 11/21/05 08:59 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Now, copyright attaches to a work even without notice or filing for registration. (E.g., you own the copyright on the note you left for your roommate to take out the garbage. No need to register your copyright in it for rights to attach.)
First, let me say that everything you posted, Dave, was in exact accordance with what I thought (with the exception of the knowledge of us being a Berne Convention Country...since I had no idea what that was :p ;\) ). Now, let me comment on this blurb.

Failure to register your 'work' limits your options as owner of said 'work', such as seeking compensation for copyright violations. It is my understanding in the U.S. that a person cannot take away your right to 'owning' something if it is your 'work', but you cannot file suit against them for copyright violation if you did not file for the copyright.

#528516 - 11/21/05 09:44 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Man, either delete the file or admit that you're not a saint.

Either way, this discussion has reached a satisfying conclusion, IMO

#528517 - 11/22/05 09:56 AM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
e_carg Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Kissin's one of my fav pianist and I've truely enjoyed them especially the Rach 2...Just wanna express my appreciation...thanks Jeff!

#528518 - 11/22/05 02:26 PM Re: *** Video of Kissin playing the Rach 2 and more ***
Dave Spelvin Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
 Quote:
Now, copyright attaches to a work even without notice or filing for registration. (E.g., you own the copyright on the note you left for your roommate to take out the garbage. No need to register your copyright in it for rights to attach.)
First, let me say that everything you posted, Dave, was in exact accordance with what I thought (with the exception of the knowledge of us being a Berne Convention Country...since I had no idea what that was :p ;\) ). Now, let me comment on this blurb.

Failure to register your 'work' limits your options as owner of said 'work', such as seeking compensation for copyright violations. It is my understanding in the U.S. that a person cannot take away your right to 'owning' something if it is your 'work', but you cannot file suit against them for copyright violation if you did not file for the copyright. [/b]
True, but you can file for a registration AFTER the infringement has occurred and sue the infringer then. However, only with registration prior to infringement can the copyright owner claim statutory damages (which may be substantial) and legal fees (which are always high).

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
175 registered (adanepst, 36251, accordeur, 51 invisible), 1757 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153501 Topics
2249419 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
2 minutes 27 seconds ago
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
19 minutes 37 seconds ago
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission