Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#528640 - 11/09/07 05:13 PM Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
droffilc Offline

Hello everyone, I have been a frequent visitor here at Piano World and I thought it was time to become a member. I am 20 years old and am a student in college with a music major. I plan on becoming a music teacher and love playing the piano. The reason I am here is because I had a question and needed some opinions and the people here seemed helpful so here goes!

I have been playing piano seriously for about 3 years now and have been taking lessons for 1 1/2 years. My current repertoire consists of the following works:

Chopin Waltz in B Minor Op69 No2
Debussy First Arabesque
Bach Prelude I
Khachaturian Sonatina in C - 1st movement
Mozart Sonata in G 283 - 2nd and 3rd movement

I asked my piano teacher what level I am currently playing at and she said late intermediate. Does this level of skill match up with the pieces that I have learned? Also, I was curious about how the difficulty of the pieces that I think would be very hard compare to my current repertoire and skill level.

Some of the very hard pieces that I am wondering about are:
Any of the Chopin Etudes
Lizst-Un sospiro (sp?)/Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

So if someone could tell me their opinion on how difficult these pieces are compared to the music that I am playing now it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#528641 - 11/09/07 05:34 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
To use an analogy, you live in the correct building but in a one bedroom apartment on the lower floors. Where you are trying to go is up to the 5-bedroom penthouse with a river-view on the top floor.

Some of the Chopin Etudes may be only up a few floors from where you are and reachable but you'll be taking the stairs up and not the elevator.

Best advice: Discuss it with your teacher.

Good luck and keep at it.

#528642 - 11/09/07 06:10 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I woudl agree with your teacher's assessment. Most Chopin Etudes and the Liszt are quite advanced, and I wouldn't recommend you get to them before you're ready. It will only frustrate you and possibly turn you off to those pieces. However, let your teacher know your aspirations so that s/he can guide you in that direction.

Also keep in mind, that 3 years of piano playing (1.5 of studying) is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, so you should be very pleased with your progress thus far! These things take time, and by time, I mean years, so a little patience is required.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#528643 - 11/09/07 06:39 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wow, nice analogy Liszt.

#528644 - 11/09/07 06:49 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by playliszt:
To use an analogy, you live in the correct building but in a one bedroom apartment on the lower floors. Where you are trying to go is up to the 5-bedroom penthouse with a river-view on the top floor.

Some of the Chopin Etudes may be only up a few floors from where you are and reachable but you'll be taking the stairs up and not the elevator.

Best advice: Discuss it with your teacher.

Good luck and keep at it. [/b]
Wow. That's deep.

#528645 - 11/09/07 07:35 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
yes, your level does match up with the pieces that you are learning.

The Chopin Etudes and Liszt Rhaspody are much harder and challenging both technically and musically so you should wait, focus on what you are learning now. i'm sure your teacher will tell you when you are ready for those pieces.

#528646 - 11/09/07 08:02 PM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'd say the Revolutionary etude is about 1.5-2 years away if you keep at it.

In the meanwhile, take a look at books 5-6 of the "Expressive Etudes" series by Suzanne Guy or books 5-8 in the Celebration Series "Studies" albums. Both of those contain well-known etudes by people like Moscheles, Moskowski, and Heller that would give you a huge boost in your technical studies.

Everybody should give those books a try - they really are brilliant. There's no reason to wait for or rush into Chopin/Liszt/Rachmaninoff etudes when there are so many excellent ones by lesser-known composers that fit those intermediate and early-advanced levels.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#528647 - 11/10/07 01:36 AM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
droffilc Offline

Wow thanks alot everyone. You have really helped me out. I'm sure some of you out there can understand what it can be like to hear a song and really want to be able to play it. Now I will definitely hold off on these pieces cause they are out of my reach and I don't want to get turned off to a Chopin Etude or Liszt piece I enjoy (thanks morodiene).

Also, nice analogy playliszt, it gave me good perspective on these pieces I was wondering about.

Kreisler, I will most definitely check out one of those books and ask my teacher if she will work on them with me.

Thanks again everyone

#528648 - 11/10/07 04:32 AM Re: Etude difficulty compared to current repitoire
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
playliszt:

Indeed. And remember that building, (that being the one of music and piano-playing) is the best[/b] address in town, regardless of where you might be in it at the moment. And one meets a lot of interesting and helpful people here in the lobby too \:\) . By the way , if you liked the Debussy Arabesque (and who doesn't?), then perhaps RĂªverie or the Prelude to the Suite Bergamasque could be good projects.

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
87 registered (alfredo capurso, Adypiano, anotherscott, angga888, 21 invisible), 1124 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325922 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission