Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#530845 - 12/26/07 06:52 PM Performing
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
Obviously when performing one's going to be nervous, or anxious, maybe feeling that a few days before the performance even, etc. and are likely to not play a piece as good as they would do in practise, on their own without pressure.

But when I have to perform, I find myself growing extremely agitated during the days before, and get ridiculously perfectonistic (is that a word?) about my pieces, to the point that I see the performce as a test, which is almost impossible to pass, and so I grow to dread performacnes and just want to get it over with, apart from a much longer time before a performance, where I enjoy the thought of playing to others because I feel by that time I will be able to play the piece perfect. I know I need to learn that such perfection is indeed impossible, for anyone (and a "perfect" performance from me would still be poorer than most decent pianists, where interpretation is concerned), and I need to enjoy the feeling of playing to other people, despite one or two minor, unnoticed errors.

Does anyone feel that perfroming is a test for yourself, and if you do, what do you do to stop that?

Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#530846 - 12/26/07 08:05 PM Re: Performing
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Pray that you become merely the vessel through whom the music flows, on its way to edifying the audience.

#530847 - 12/26/07 08:08 PM Re: Performing
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
It is sort of the individual's perspective on performing, I think. If one is thoroughly prepared then a certain degree of nervousness might manifest itself but not to such a point that it would disturb the performance. Being poorly prepared on the other hand would most likely cause severe nerves. It pretty much depends on your self-confidence. Some genuinely enjoy being in front of an audience and display little or no nervousness while others seem to fall apart totally. Then there's the middle ground where some are more confident than others.

Ganz would tell us in repertoire class of great pianists, Horowitz, Rachmaninoff, etc., who forgot or made mistakes. As you said no one is perfect. Henselt, one of the REALLY great pianists, had to be pushed out on the stage. Von Lenz tells of approaching his studio and hearing the most wonderful tones emanating through the window. After entering and in Henselt's presence, Henselt could hardly play.

If you feel nervous then you should play as often as you can for friends, relatives, school, etc. to get over your feeling. If you intend to perform then you must control yourself. Others will have suggestions but in the end it's YOU who must learn to deal with it.

#530848 - 12/27/07 10:28 AM Re: Performing
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I haven't the performing experience of some people on this board. I know and hate this feeling you describe and it happens to everyone.

But the last time I performed publicly I had hand shake for the first minute. Then, I got a grip on myself and told myself firmly that I had worked so hard and I was definitely not going to let my nerves spoil my concert. I then relaxed and I began to focus on the beauty of the instrument and enjoyed playing the music, without any other distracting thought.

During lessons the teacher would stand just next to me and coldly scrutinise me. I would more often than not start making stupid errors until I got used to this and actually it helped. Playing for an audience, they are removed and can't see much so it is actually easier.

Some music is easier to memorise than others. Most new performers are worried about memory lapses. But if you learn the piece in sections and give them a nickname it helps dramatically.
There was a separate post on this a while ago which was useful.

Always perform repertoire a little below your ability level especially for the opening pieces. And do not do anything different to your last pracice. Wear it like a familar old coat. But wear it well. I think if you can just play a few local concerts and muster through you can then build on the experience knowing what to expect.

I think it also helps to practice your walk and preliminary bow to help you feel familar.

#530849 - 12/27/07 11:21 AM Re: Performing
RhondaLynne Offline

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Always perform repertoire a little below your ability level especially for the opening pieces. And do not do anything different to your last pracice. Wear it like a familar old coat. But wear it well. I think if you can just play a few local concerts and muster through you can then build on the experience knowing what to expect.

[/b]
I have performed twice now for what we call here in Highland Park "LateNite" and the very first thing I learned is to start with something easy. It warms me up and helps me relax (although relaxing for me at this point means those hands on the keyboard might belong to me but I'm still not sure). I've read and heard that you loose something like 25% of your brain power when you perform, so you have to know your pieces 125% (or something like that), not just 100%. And it is also true that no one really knows when you play wrong notes, except maybe that Hallelujah chorus bit someone posted on another thread. \:D

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, Alex1, AndresD, 31 invisible), 1513 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156076 Topics
2291949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
29 minutes 19 seconds ago
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission