2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Looking to the future, I was wondering how Mozart's piano concertos fare up to others in the difficulty stakes?

I hear that the D minor K466 and the C major K503 are the hardest. Is this true? How would they compare to other concertos and/or solo repetoire?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
They're similar to his sonatas, perhaps a bit more difficult.

It's difficult to compare them to other concerti because Mozart's concerti were conceived differently than most others. (The role of the piano in a Mozart concerto is quite different than in Beethoven, Schumann, Mendelssohn, etc...)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
BDB Offline
B
I disagree. Mozart set the standard for the role of the piano in concertos which composers still find difficult to buck. Every pianist should be familiar with all the original Mozart concertos. (A number of the earlier ones are arrangements of other composers solo sonatas.)

None of them are especially difficult technically. Most of them are rather sketchy. Only three of them were published by Mozart, only one other was published in his lifetime. Editors may or may not have completed the piano parts which were only sketched out in the manuscripts. Another reason for being familiar with all of them is so you can make your own decisions about what you should play as well as how you should play them. It really makes them one of the best collections to study. They can be as simple or as challenging as you want to make them.

Semipro Tech
R
R
Mozarts Piano Concerto in D minor K466 is one of the easiest Concertos I've ever seen. I sight-read most of it. Mozarts Piano Concertos aren't that hard.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
sure purely from the standpoint of virtosity the mozert concertos present little challenge however i think in many other areas they are very difficult, area like touch, coloring and shading...lack of any room to make any mistakes at all...the music like his solo works is tottally exposed even the slightest error will be heard that makes then very difficult to play successfully...
this may just be me but ive always found mozart to be one of the hardest cmposers to play well...i stuggle more with mozart than chopin by far but the difficulties between those two composers are very different...

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Please keep in mind quite a few great pianists made the solumn statement: "Mozart is too easy for students but way too hard for musicians". This list includes A. Rubinstein and De Larrocha.

Rgds,
AndrewG

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission