2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#532655 09/06/01 09:48 AM
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
After 26 hours of traveling, not including the 7 hour layover in LA and the 4 hour layover in Seoul, I am finally home from China. I have been awake for almost 40 hours, yet I feel strangely invigorated.

For those who don't know, I have been there for the last three weeks playing concerts (orchestral piano and chamber music) with a group from CCM in various cities.

I see from glancing through the topics in the past few weeks that you all waited until I was gone to have the good discussions, including a few Chopin-Liszt skirmishes right after I left. Shame on you all. I also see that the Corner is a completely different place, which I kind of expected.

Anyway, when I wake up from my coma and get my pics developed, I'll post them here.

Brendan

#532656 09/06/01 10:41 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
it's great to have u back!! =]

#532657 09/06/01 11:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Brendan - We missed you! Hope you had a great trip - tell us about it when you have the time. When do you start back to school? Speaking of Liszt, I've been working on Widmung. Its getting there - even the hard part. Jodi

#532658 09/06/01 12:47 PM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Welcome home Brendan!

Can't wait to hear your stories!
How was the music? How was the food? How was the plumbing?

wink

Joy

#532659 09/06/01 03:07 PM
D
D
At last,

You've been gone too long smile

#532660 09/06/01 10:56 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome back Brendan! Hope you had a good trip. Its been a while since you've been around the forum. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#532661 09/06/01 11:09 PM
WELC :DME BACK!!!

wgh
#532662 09/07/01 03:30 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Brendan:

Welcome back!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#532663 09/08/01 08:17 PM
A
A
Brendan,

Welcome home - Lizst still s**ks! :p

Alex

#532664 09/09/01 08:02 PM
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks, all!

Joy, by asking about the plumbing you have already told me that you know the answer to that question. laugh This was the most difficult part for me to cope with. Basically, unless it's designated as a western toilet, you get to pop a squat. Most of them smelled horrid and were unflushed; I was doing my best to time my bowel movements so that I could do a #2 in the hotel (where the had western toilets).

The food was exquisite. It really made me realize that Chinese food here isn't Chinese food. We had a meal in the Shaolin Temple and it was some of the most delicious cuisine that I've ever tasted. Whereas American dishes like steak and potatoes have only one taste per bite, this food had a wide variety of tastes in each spoonful (I couldn't use chopsticks). The food that we had in the hotels was a little more tame, but the few times that I snuck out with friends to eat were memorable dining experiences. Some of the more exotic things I tried - heart, stomach, lung, and tongue. The heart and stomach were part of a dish called "hot pot," native to Chonquing in the south. Basically, there is a pot in the middle of the table (kind of like fondue) and you cook your own food in oils, broth and spices. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

In the more international cities like Beijing and Xian, I saw a good number of Americans, but as we got farther south (Zhen Zhou and Chongqing) I can say that I saw less than 20 Americans total. People were very curious about us (especially my leg hair) and wanted to practice their English on us, or even just walk around and hang out. It was really cool - despite the language barrier, there were good vibes being sent both ways. I have to say that this really dispelled the negative perception that I had about China; yes, the government may be corrupt, but the people are just like most on the planet - they just want to have a good time.

Tourist sights that I saw:
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Emperor's Tomb
The Shaolin Temple of Martial Arts
The Forbidden City
The Summer Palace

I probably enjoyed the Shaolin Temple the most, mainly because I am into that sort of thing. I got a few gratuitous pics of me and my friends doing kung-fu poses. Happiness!

Speaking of pics, they are finally developed, but my scanner is having problems again. Little help, Jodi?

I managed to pick up a little Mandarin, but the only characters that I learned were those for "entrance," "exit," and "people." There were many times when I wished that I at least had laughable command of the language so that I couls BS with people and do thigns by myself, but that wasn't the case. Maybe next time.

The audiences were mostly enthusiastic, even if they were a little loud. I think it's because they're not used to classical concerts in the way westerners are - sitting quietly in a darkened hall and what not. Generally, the performances were successful.

Originally posted by Alex:
Welcome home - Lizst still s**ks!

mad mad mad mad mad mad

#532665 09/09/01 09:25 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Brendan - send me the pics, I will scan them - leg hair and all. :p Then I can snail-mail them back to you and send you or Frank the scanned attachments via email? Glad you had such a great time. Are there any recordings of this event? I would love to have some more of your music to play... smile Jodi

#532666 09/10/01 04:12 PM
J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Brendan,

Thanks for sharing highlights of your trip! Visiting China is definitely an educational, eye-opening experience. Not for those looking for a typical relaxing 'vacation.' It IS a total adventure!

I laughed out loud about your response to my 'plumbing' reference. I'm a little dismayed that the situation hasn't changed all that much since I was there. I know I held back from drinking water just so I wouldn't HAVE to use a bathroom, holding out as long as I could until we were back in our nice westernized hotel. My mouth would be so parched by the end of the day though.

Funny aside to this: I used to get therapeutic massages regularly. When my masseur got to my legs (this was only a few days after I returned from China), he said "Wow, whatever you've been doing, keep it up! Your legs and thighs developed some added tone. What have you been doing the past two weeks?" I said "Squat toilets. mad Furgitaboutit. I never want to see or experience them ever again. " He laughed non-stop.

Yes, I can picture Chinese audiences being noisy. At least they weren't spitting, were they? When I was there, you'd see signs all over the place "NO SPITTING ALLOWED!"

Most importantly, this is the crux of any trip to China -- and the BEST part: You said:

". . . .yes, the government may be corrupt, but the people are just like most on the planet - they just want to have a good time."

I found the people we met warm-hearted and fascinating. And you can sense they feel the same way when they respond to YOU. They want to know all about you. Plus you are their window to the outside world. I loved all of our tour guides (all English majors in college), they were so articulate and engaging.

The more interchange, the better I say.

I still have my "I was in Badaling" T-shirt.

You now have memories for a lifetime.

Joy
laugh

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission