Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#532655 - 09/06/01 09:48 AM Just got home
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
After 26 hours of traveling, not including the 7 hour layover in LA and the 4 hour layover in Seoul, I am finally home from China. I have been awake for almost 40 hours, yet I feel strangely invigorated.

For those who don't know, I have been there for the last three weeks playing concerts (orchestral piano and chamber music) with a group from CCM in various cities.

I see from glancing through the topics in the past few weeks that you all waited until I was gone to have the good discussions, including a few Chopin-Liszt skirmishes right after I left. Shame on you all. I also see that the Corner is a completely different place, which I kind of expected.

Anyway, when I wake up from my coma and get my pics developed, I'll post them here.

Brendan

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#532656 - 09/06/01 10:41 AM Re: Just got home
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
it's great to have u back!! =]

#532657 - 09/06/01 11:04 AM Re: Just got home
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Hi Brendan - We missed you! Hope you had a great trip - tell us about it when you have the time. When do you start back to school? Speaking of Liszt, I've been working on Widmung. Its getting there - even the hard part. Jodi

#532658 - 09/06/01 12:47 PM Re: Just got home
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Welcome home Brendan!

Can't wait to hear your stories!
How was the music? How was the food? How was the plumbing?

;\)

Joy

#532659 - 09/06/01 03:07 PM Re: Just got home
Diarmuid Offline

At last,

You've been gone too long \:\)

#532660 - 09/06/01 10:56 PM Re: Just got home
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Welcome back Brendan! Hope you had a good trip. Its been a while since you've been around the forum. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

#532661 - 09/06/01 11:09 PM Re: Just got home
wghornsby Offline

Loc: KY
WELC :DME BACK!!!

#532662 - 09/07/01 03:30 PM Re: Just got home
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Brendan:

Welcome back!

#532663 - 09/08/01 08:17 PM Re: Just got home
Alex Offline

Loc: Plano, tx
Brendan,

Welcome home - Lizst still s**ks! :p

Alex

#532664 - 09/09/01 08:02 PM Re: Just got home
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Thanks, all!

Joy, by asking about the plumbing you have already told me that you know the answer to that question. \:D This was the most difficult part for me to cope with. Basically, unless it's designated as a western toilet, you get to pop a squat. Most of them smelled horrid and were unflushed; I was doing my best to time my bowel movements so that I could do a #2 in the hotel (where the had western toilets).

The food was exquisite. It really made me realize that Chinese food here isn't Chinese food. We had a meal in the Shaolin Temple and it was some of the most delicious cuisine that I've ever tasted. Whereas American dishes like steak and potatoes have only one taste per bite, this food had a wide variety of tastes in each spoonful (I couldn't use chopsticks). The food that we had in the hotels was a little more tame, but the few times that I snuck out with friends to eat were memorable dining experiences. Some of the more exotic things I tried - heart, stomach, lung, and tongue. The heart and stomach were part of a dish called "hot pot," native to Chonquing in the south. Basically, there is a pot in the middle of the table (kind of like fondue) and you cook your own food in oils, broth and spices. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

In the more international cities like Beijing and Xian, I saw a good number of Americans, but as we got farther south (Zhen Zhou and Chongqing) I can say that I saw less than 20 Americans total. People were very curious about us (especially my leg hair) and wanted to practice their English on us, or even just walk around and hang out. It was really cool - despite the language barrier, there were good vibes being sent both ways. I have to say that this really dispelled the negative perception that I had about China; yes, the government may be corrupt, but the people are just like most on the planet - they just want to have a good time.

Tourist sights that I saw:
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Emperor's Tomb
The Shaolin Temple of Martial Arts
The Forbidden City
The Summer Palace

I probably enjoyed the Shaolin Temple the most, mainly because I am into that sort of thing. I got a few gratuitous pics of me and my friends doing kung-fu poses. Happiness!

Speaking of pics, they are finally developed, but my scanner is having problems again. Little help, Jodi?

I managed to pick up a little Mandarin, but the only characters that I learned were those for "entrance," "exit," and "people." There were many times when I wished that I at least had laughable command of the language so that I couls BS with people and do thigns by myself, but that wasn't the case. Maybe next time.

The audiences were mostly enthusiastic, even if they were a little loud. I think it's because they're not used to classical concerts in the way westerners are - sitting quietly in a darkened hall and what not. Generally, the performances were successful.

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex:
Welcome home - Lizst still s**ks![/b]

#532665 - 09/09/01 09:25 PM Re: Just got home
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Brendan - send me the pics, I will scan them - leg hair and all. :p Then I can snail-mail them back to you and send you or Frank the scanned attachments via email? Glad you had such a great time. Are there any recordings of this event? I would love to have some more of your music to play... \:\) Jodi

#532666 - 09/10/01 04:12 PM Re: Just got home
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Brendan,

Thanks for sharing highlights of your trip! Visiting China is definitely an educational, eye-opening experience. Not for those looking for a typical relaxing 'vacation.' It IS a total adventure!

I laughed out loud about your response to my 'plumbing' reference. I'm a little dismayed that the situation hasn't changed all that much since I was there. I know I held back from drinking water just so I wouldn't HAVE to use a bathroom, holding out as long as I could until we were back in our nice westernized hotel. My mouth would be so parched by the end of the day though.

Funny aside to this: I used to get therapeutic massages regularly. When my masseur got to my legs (this was only a few days after I returned from China), he said "Wow, whatever you've been doing, keep it up! Your legs and thighs developed some added tone. What have you been doing the past two weeks?" I said "Squat toilets. Furgitaboutit. I never want to see or experience them ever again. " He laughed non-stop.

Yes, I can picture Chinese audiences being noisy. At least they weren't spitting, were they? When I was there, you'd see signs all over the place "NO SPITTING ALLOWED!"

Most importantly, this is the crux of any trip to China -- and the BEST part: You said:

". . . .yes, the government may be corrupt, but the people are just like most on the planet - they just want to have a good time."[/b]

I found the people we met warm-hearted and fascinating. And you can sense they feel the same way when they respond to YOU. They want to know all about you. Plus you are their window to the outside world. I loved all of our tour guides (all English majors in college), they were so articulate and engaging.

The more interchange, the better I say.

I still have my "I was in Badaling" T-shirt.

You now have memories for a lifetime.

Joy
\:D

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Red striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (Almaviva, anamnesis, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1141 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158482 Topics
2327411 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission