2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#532790 01/05/08 08:07 PM
OP Offline
Wonderful forum! I believe that it's my second time posting here. I know a lot of you like to debate (I'm horrible at it), but I'll try to join in sometime.

Anyway, I've been playing for 5 years and currently finishing a short version of Don Juan Paraphrase. There's a problem though. When I practice performing the piece, I think that I may be hitting the keys too hard (although I keep my musicality by not 'banging', I just want to put my expression into the loud parts). My right thumb had bled in the past practicing Don Juan, and now, both of my pointer fingers are the same. It just occurred today while I was practicing.

Yeah, I eat my veggies too.

Thanks guys. Can I introduce myself here too?

*Random deep voice: "Yes"* (Don't read on if you don't want to know my experience on the piano. I'll keep it short and to the point though)

~~~

Hay guise. I'm a teenager pianist who have been playing for 4 2/3 years (going to be 5 in April) and started April 2003. I'm currently self-studying for the past 3 2/3 years and had lessons on the first year. I improvise and learn Classical pieces, though still working on that. The pianist I look up to is Lang Lang (it's kinda obvious when you watch my videos. Also: in b4 hate remarks). Inspires me to play the piano and I'm sure the young piano players in China too.

I have a Roland HP-207. Wonderful piano sound and feel, but I just wished that the key length were longer for a more smooth and precise control.

Here's some of my work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb7Lwn6vHEY

I moderate a piano forum, but I hope to post here once in a while. I have an idea for another thread too, so I'll post that as well later.

Thanks for reading guys. I hope you people are kind to newcomers because I'm... sensitive. *cries*

Lawl just kidding.

#532791 01/05/08 08:21 PM
B
B
Welcome to the forums, although I haven't been around too long myself. I gotta ask though, exactly how are you playing that you BLEED from it? If you're getting broken nails, is it because they're too long?

#532792 01/05/08 08:26 PM
OP Offline
Actually, I always keep my nails short. The part of the nail where the skin is attached to it is 'bending'. It's more of getting cracked than broken.

#532793 01/05/08 08:27 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I keep mine cut very, very short since they break otherwise, especially as my middle finger is unusually long and often grazes the fallboard. I think this is just part of being a pianist. If your nails are of a lenght to be damaged by playing they're too long.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#532794 01/05/08 08:32 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Rule # l, is very very short nails. I learned this when one of my nails got caught between the keys. Ouch. Didn't bleed, but was enough of a reminder to keep them short. Gaby Tu

#532795 01/05/08 08:32 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by -Frycek:
I keep mine cut very, very short since they break otherwise, especially as my middle finger is unusually long and often grazes the fallboard. I think this is just part of being a pianist. If your nails are of a lenght to be damaged by playing they're too long.
My nails are very very short. I just cut them 2 days ago. And since it's short, the part of the nail that cracks is over the raw skin so it bleeds. What I do is I let them grow an cut it again to cut away the bent and cracked part.

#532796 01/05/08 09:09 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
How long have you been playing? Have you drastically increased you practice time recently? Your fingers should toughen up in time. That part of my fingers is hard as a rock now. Are your nails cracking without actually making contact with the keys? Are you getting horizontal or vertical cracks? If they're cracking without actual trauma you may have some sort of deficiency. There's also Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails Formula" -a colorless polish undercoat that is supposed to help prevent cracking and splitting.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#532797 01/05/08 09:22 PM
OP Offline
I've been playing for 5 years, 4 hours a day because it's vacation, and I'm getting the small horizontal part of the nail bent downwards. I've been banging my digital really hard because of the FFF on the sheet music.

I've actually wondered about that actually. Since they have cracked before, I expected them to be stronger and adapt to my playing.

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I'll look up the polish.

#532798 01/05/08 11:56 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've never bled, but sometimes my thumb gets sore where it makes contact with the keys and pushes the skin against the side of the nail. It is only an issue when the humidity is very low, as it is now in the middle of winter.

So, is there enough humidity in your living space? If not, think about getting a humidifier. Also hand creams help, like Nutragena hand cream.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission