2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
© June 15, 2008 The Beacon News, Chicago

Complaints being settled against piano company

June 15, 2008

By BILL BIRD wbird@scn1.com
Roughly 60 percent of the more than 100 consumer complaints filed against the owners of a now-closed piano store in Naperville have been settled by officials of the Illinois attorney general's office.

At least 64 of an estimated 102 customers used credit cards or financing plans to bankroll their purchases from Piano Experts, formerly located at 1163 E. Ogden Ave. on Naperville's northeast side.

Those buyers have had their debts eliminated as part of an ongoing collaborative effort between the Naperville Police Department and Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office.

Thirty cases involving customers who either left deposits or paid in full for their pianos with cash or checks remain unresolved, according to police Cmdr. Dave Hoffman and Natalie Bauer, a spokeswoman for Madigan's office. The total loss sustained by those buyers is believed to exceed $150,000.

Bauer said Madigan's office is mediating those matters and attempting to negotiate settlements for the affected customers. Eight other people are in talks to trade pianos they already own for newer models, she said.

Piano Experts closed its doors last winter. It was operated by brothers Paul and Peter Biasco, whose family has sold musical instruments in the Chicago area for nearly 70 years.

Customers complained that Piano Experts never delivered on their purchases, with the Biascos and their employees often blaming the trouble on piano manufacturers.

Some of the buyers whose cases remain unsettled are reportedly pressuring police and Madigan's office to pursue criminal charges against the Biasco brothers.

Hoffman said detectives are in the process of securing additional business-related documents from the Biascos. Those records could help police determine whether the brothers deliberately defrauded customers or merely engaged in bad or inept business practices, he said.

The financial losses customers initially reported to police totaled nearly $600,000.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

How sad that the people who paid in full are left twisting in the wind. frown

I hope the Biasco brothers ultimately face criminal charges.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C'mon. This is not the first time they have done this.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Can you imagine how proud their forebears who were in business for 70 years must be...

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I guess the moral of this story is use a credit card for at least the deposit. The idea of paying anyone a lot of money up front prior to delivery has always worried me.

Thanks for update Frank.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
As a former employee I feel justified in simply saying to Paul and Peter... " What's your problem?" These two guys knew exactly what they were doing and probably thought that they'd never be caught. For years this family has tarnished the reputation of piano seller in Chicago by their outlandish and frankly desperate sales tactics. I for one hope the law does something this time, and not just a slap on the wrist.

Mark MacLeod
Owner of...
Family Piano Co.
Waukegan, IL

Mark MacLeod
Family Piano Co.
Sauter, Perzina, Hailun, Falcone, Pearl River, Steinberg, Carl Ebel Pianos.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
What would be a really nice gesture.that whatever brand/model piano the person who is "out" that said maufacturer delivers them the piano they picked out..that of course would be a monumental gesture on their part..but good from a marketing
perspective..lets hope some good comes out of this sad ending for those out of their piano frown

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Stevester:
I guess the moral of this story is use a credit card for at least the deposit. The idea of paying anyone a lot of money up front prior to delivery has always worried me.
That's for sure...

Originally posted by Mark MacLeod:
As a former employee I feel justified in simply saying to Paul and Peter... " What's your problem?" These two guys knew exactly what they were doing and probably thought that they'd never be caught. For years this family has tarnished the reputation of piano seller in Chicago by their outlandish and frankly desperate sales tactics. I for one hope the law does something this time, and not just a slap on the wrist.
Welcome to the forum, Mark, and thank you for adding an insider's perspective to this sorry story. Please keep us posted of any other outcomes in the case if you hear of them.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission