2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Can anyone recommend a good recording of this piece? Preferrably from a good label (Deutsche Grammophon and the like). And if it happens to have an SACD release, then all the better!

Thanks a bunch!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I have quite a lot, but my favourite is the Hough recording on Hyperion - purely because I'm a cheapskate student and it has recordings of all the concerti and the Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini. And its very good. Quite nippy though in terms of tempo.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Find Cliburn or Sokolov's. They are my favorite for that piece.

T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Do a search for Rach 3 recordings on this forum; you'll find a ton of info and recommendations.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LL>MACH3 :rolleyes:

ss ao lr ue dt on si .u dq ar no on ra qd u. is no td eu rl oa ss
T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
lol...LL and Mach3 ride the at the top of the pianists corner yet again.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Volodos on Sony Classical, is quite good, and is available as an sacd

OP Offline
i just got that volodos one. darn it, tower records didn't have an SACD one.

you get these trembles going down your spine everytime that first movement opens up with its haunting melody.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... then your mind goes crazy when the second mvt. merges into the third mvt.. So fantastic. That is a great piece.

Yes, Volodos; it's spectacular, and live! I seem to remember being impressed with Lazar Berman's, but it's been years since hearing it. Gieseking's is interesting - what a mind at work! He makes such long lines, which is indispensable in Rachmaninoff. Not the cleanest, though, but worth a listen.

My personal favorite (never mind the fact that she is one of my former teachers) is the recording that Ann Schein made for Kapp records in the late '50s, with Eugene Goosens leading the Vienna State opera orchestra. She was, I think, 19 or 20 years old! It's a smashing recording, technically astounding and very mature, but you can't find it on CD. (I've actually been fortunate enough, in my years of study with her, to actually accompany her on a second piano, and let me tell you: she owns this piece.)

Another way you could hear her play the piece, though not that particular recording, is to go to the Pitkin County Library in Aspen - where she teaches in the summertime - and find the performance she did with Jorge Mester leading the Aspen Festival Orchestra from, I think, 1986...It's even better than the Kapp recording, and it's live - you can *feel* the audience leaping to their feet at the end - truly visceral!!)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'll bet Hough's is amazing, though I haven't yet heard it.

"Some people have a way with words; others... ... ... ...not...have way, I guess."
- Steve Martin
http://www.reverbnation.com/michaelsheppard
http://www.youtube.com/user/realpianistcomposer
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Byron Janis and Horowitz are both spectacular.

Sam
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
FYI, the Volodos is edited from multiple live performances. So technically, it's both live and edited. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
That library is fantastic. Every recorded performance from the Aspen festival for the past few decades is available there.

If anyone ever goes to Aspen, the Pitkin Co. library should definitely be in your plans!

(I smuggled a minidisc recorder in and grabbed a few things while I was there. laugh )

Originally posted by pianistcomposer:
Another way you could hear her play the piece, though not that particular recording, is to go to the Pitkin County Library in Aspen - where she teaches in the summertime - and find the performance she did with Jorge Mester leading the Aspen Festival Orchestra from, I think, 1986...It's even better than the Kapp recording, and it's live - you can *feel* the audience leaping to their feet at the end - truly visceral!!)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'll bet Hough's is amazing, though I haven't yet heard it.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Argerich really "Rachs" this piece on DG.
The other recording I really like is the Horowitz Jubilee one.
I didn't know about the Volodos rendition; I'm sure it's uh-mazing too.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
It seems no one has mentioned Ashkenazy, I'd have to say that he is my personal Favorite.

"The Lord Almighty is the only one capable of fully understanding her nature, man can never tame her. We can only await her visit."
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Horowitz (1930), Horowitz-Reiner (1951), Volodos. I also like Rachmaninoff's own recording, but it's a little harder to find. I don't have a copy of it; I just happened to be fortunate enough to listen to it once. I'll do some digging if you're interested in that one, but I suspect there might be others in the forum who have a bootleg of it. (The recording was never meant for sale.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
You can find R's own recording of the R3 on Naxos Historical. It's inexpensive, and contains also a fine account of R2...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=cm_lm_asin/104-3543843-5555108?v=glance

I
I
2 days ago, for 7 dollars, I got a CD recording of Rachmaninoff himself playing his 2nd and 3rd concerti

-Carl
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you want to try a few recordings before you buy, here you can download quite a few in mp3 format (Cliburn, Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Volodos and Rachmaninov's own recording) :
http://classic.manual.ru/

Russian site... The names appear in English in the bar at the bottom of your browser. Choose Rachmaninov in the long list on the left.

Some can tell you to go to heck in such a manner that you would think you might actually enjoy the trip, but that is far more polite than civil - JBryan
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have Rach's recording of it, I don't like it, for some reason I'm so used to the splendour of Horowitz's rendition it seems to me Rach does things too differently. Though I must say his cadenza is still probably the best played I ever heard ;-)

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission